Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a few questions can’t seem to figure out from the manual , related to the radio / Bluetooth.

1- I’ve not had a car w Bluetooth before, and am wondering how one (not the driver )can still use the phone while bluetooth is connected. If it matters I have an iPhone X.
I’ll give you an example. If I give my kid the phone, is there, is there a Way to leave the phone connected to the Bluetooth,
And allow him to hear the sound from whatever he is doing through the phone and not have that sound come through the speakers.

2 - is there a way to use the front usb charging ports only to charge? The car seems to default think I want to connect the phone to apple play When we plug into the front USB ports. My workaround is to use the car charger adapter in the back of the center console. This happened when My wife plugged in her phone to charge it (she has not connected to the car via bluetooth)--

3- have other ascent owners noticed that the reception of the satellite radio seems not great , particularly in the city??
I say this in comparison to the two other cars I’ve owned with satellite radio. It seems to loose its signal quite easily - anytime it goes under anything (I understand satellite works on line of sight)

This seemed to get better on the open road (we are currently on a road trip)

I think that’s it for now.
Thanks.

Charlie

·
Registered
226 Posts
1. Don't know.

2. Not sure on iPhones, but on my android you can select on the phone what USB option you want when you plug it in and you can change it to just charge.

3. My satellite does cut out pretty easy, but I don't really care that much because I will get rid of it once the trial is over.

·
Registered
411 Posts
ignore my original

·
Registered
89 Posts
1. Yes, you can leave it connected to Bluetooth, and just choose to not have audio outputted that way. Whenever audio is playing, you'll see a rectangle/triangle icon (see my attached screenshot, where it's blue). Tap that to choose between Bluetooth, earphones, iPhone speaker, etc.
2. If you plug in your phone and connects to Apple car play, what's the problem? Everything else still works on the infotainment system. Not sure what the issue is...if car play pops up and you don't need it, just hit the home button on the panel, and go back to radio/nav/etc. -- And the phone still works while connected to car play, right? Not sure if I remember that (I also have iPhone X)... I think it still works fine, which is to say wife can use it and charge it, and you would then just ignore the Car Play menu on the Subaru screen.
3. I have not noticed this, but I haven't used it much in true urban areas (i.e. 20+ story buildings on all sides of road). Reception has always been fine for me. (Sound quality is another issue....)

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
1. I know some android phones (flagship LG for sure) will connect to 2 different BT devices at the same time and you can route the audio to your wish. I don't think Iphone can do that or may be in the future :tango_face_wink:

2. Again Android phone will do that, not sure about Iphone.

3. Can't help with that since I'm still waiting on my Ascent :sad:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Regards issue #2 - There are two possible options. The first is to use a 12v USB power adapter (the type that plugs into a "cigarette lighter" socket) and use that to provide power to the phone without locking the phone to CarPlay. In the back wall of the storage alcove above the two front USB ports is a 12V socket. The other option is a small dongle called a "data blocker" that you plug your phone into and then into the USB port.

See https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3rd...3242507&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+data+blocker&th=1.

The adapter blocks the data connection but allows current to pass through.

As to why someone would want this, if the iPhone is plugged into one of the two front ports, you are strictly limited to using the few apps that are CarPlay compatible. For example I like to listen to podcasts and live radio on the ESPN app, which I can do over bluetooth but not with CarPlay enabled.

·
Registered
89 Posts
As to why someone would want this, if the iPhone is plugged into one of the two front ports, you are strictly limited to using the few apps that are CarPlay compatible. For example I like to listen to podcasts and live radio on the ESPN app, which I can do over bluetooth but not with CarPlay enabled.
Thanks, didn't know that!

Also, amazon link didn't work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts