Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm if the Captain's chairs on the second row on Limited trims come with the hold / grip handle ? I've only seen them on the JBL Touring we test drove and found that to be very useful..

Thanks..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes, I can confirm! We have a Limited and love the grip handles.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Can anyone confirm if the Captain's chairs on the second row on Limited trims come with the hold / grip handle ? I've only seen them on the JBL Touring we test drove and found that to be very useful..

Thanks..
As far as I know YES, all the trims with Captain chairs will have the grip handles.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Seat back fold down

Really disappointed the seats don't fold flat, travel quite a bit and always carried the cooler on passenger side fold down in my Enclave. Looks like plenty of room for it to collapse all the way. Might just have to take the trim on the side apart and see how that latch works.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Really disappointed the seats don't fold flat, travel quite a bit and always carried the cooler on passenger side fold down in my Enclave. Looks like plenty of room for it to collapse all the way. Might just have to take the trim on the side apart and see how that latch works.
I believe it has to do with the bolstering on the sides of the seats. Because the sides of the 2nd row captains have this shaping to them, they cannot fold as flat. The material from the side seat support hits the base of the seat, preventing it from going flat. At least this is what I have blamed for it.

It is too bad that they couldn’t have the seat base tilt forward when folded to retain the seat side support and still have a flat platform. My Flex 2nd row captains folds flat but the seats have minimal shape to them.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I took the trim apart this afternoon and took a few photos. Point A is the stop that prevents seat from folding all the way. Point B is the stop that prevents the seat from lying flat in a fully open position. C is a curved piece of metal welded to the seat back frame and travels between the stops as you fold or open the seat. There is an identical layout on the opposite side of each seat. I"m sure you could remove C and the seat would fold quite a bit more than it does, but not completely flat. Not sure what impact it would have on the open position, although at the latch point before fully back it seems solid. Can't see if there is a latch point at fully back or if it just stops against B. Screws under each of the lower handles to remove trim, then good set of trim tools to pry the pieces apart at the rear of seat. Annual grouse hunting trip coming up pretty quick, will decide if I break out the grinder or hacksaw after the trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
764 Posts
I believe it has to do with the bolstering on the sides of the seats. Because the sides of the 2nd row captains have this shaping to them, they cannot fold as flat. The material from the side seat support hits the base of the seat, preventing it from going flat. At least this is what I have blamed for it.

It is too bad that they couldn’t have the seat base tilt forward when folded to retain the seat side support and still have a flat platform. My Flex 2nd row captains folds flat but the seats have minimal shape to them.
Its not the material holding it up, its an actual support Subaru has placed in there so the side bolsters don't get smashed and deformed.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I took the trim apart this afternoon and took a few photos. Point A is the stop that prevents seat from folding all the way. Point B is the stop that prevents the seat from lying flat in a fully open position. C is a curved piece of metal welded to the seat back frame and travels between the stops as you fold or open the seat. There is an identical layout on the opposite side of each seat. I"m sure you could remove C and the seat would fold quite a bit more than it does, but not completely flat. Not sure what impact it would have on the open position, although at the latch point before fully back it seems solid. Can't see if there is a latch point at fully back or if it just stops against B. Screws under each of the lower handles to remove trim, then good set of trim tools to pry the pieces apart at the rear of seat. Annual grouse hunting trip coming up pretty quick, will decide if I break out the grinder or hacksaw after the trip.
propane cutter anyone?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ihave the touring with middle buckets. When I fold them "flat" I have to remove the headrest, which moves it slightly more forward. But the seats don't lock into a flat forward position. They continue to slide on the track. Any thoughts on this? Do all your tourings do this? I'm wondering if mine is defective. Thanks

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
The headrest shouldn't need to come out, and they should lock into place, with, at most, a slight motion forward and then back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.