Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We picked up our new Premium (Canadian version of Touring) Ascent last Thursday and we love it already. However, the driver side 2nd row captain’s chair doesn’t seem to slide at all. It’s lovked in place even I pull on the lever to get to the 3rd row. The passenger side chair is fine. Does anyone know if there is some sort of locking mechanism or does this sound like a trip to service? Unfortunately since it’s Sunday and Monday’s a holiday, we won’t be able to go in until Tuesday. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Hi All,

We picked up our new Premium (Canadian version of Touring) Ascent last Thursday and we love it already. However, the driver side 2nd row captain’s chair doesn’t seem to slide at all. It’s lovked in place even I pull on the lever to get to the 3rd row. The passenger side chair is fine. Does anyone know if there is some sort of locking mechanism or does this sound like a trip to service? Unfortunately since it’s Sunday and Monday’s a holiday, we won’t be able to go in until Tuesday. Thanks for all your help.
Both second row captains chairs operate the same, so if you're able to get one to work and not the other then it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Since you have a day to play with it yourself, I'd suggest seeing if you can find if there is something in the seat's track that may be blocking it. Do the two outside levers on the non-sliding seat operate (same feel) as the seat that does work? How about the front under-seat grab bar that a passenger would use to move the seat forward or backward?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi All,

Both second row captains chairs operate the same, so if you're able to get one to work and not the other then it sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order. Since you have a day to play with it yourself, I'd suggest seeing if you can find if there is something in the seat's track that may be blocking it. Do the two outside levers on the non-sliding seat operate (same feel) as the seat that does work? How about the front under-seat grab bar that a passenger would use to move the seat forward or backward?
The grab bar feels the same. I looked underneath the chair and the mechanism looks like it engages but still does not slide. The outside levers feels the same and works. Checked the rail and couldn’t find anything blocking it; i.e. the all weather mats. It just won’t slide. I wonder if something is bolted down. No idea. I’ll continue to look. Thank you for the suggestions!! Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
The grab bar feels the same. I looked underneath the chair and the mechanism looks like it engages but still does not slide. The outside levers feels the same and works. Checked the rail and couldn’t find anything blocking it; i.e. the all weather mats. It just won’t slide. I wonder if something is bolted down. No idea. I’ll continue to look. Thank you for the suggestions!! Much appreciated.
One final suggestion, and you may very well have already tried it, but if not I'd suggest sitting in the seat and try moving it forward and then back while pulling up on the adjustment bar between your legs. Maybe your body's weight in the seat might loosen up whatever is stuck - or maybe not...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One final suggestion, and you may very well have already tried it, but if not I'd suggest sitting in the seat and try moving it forward and then back while pulling up on the adjustment bar between your legs. Maybe your body's weight in the seat might loosen up whatever is stuck - or maybe not...
Gave this a shot but no cigar. Will probably bring it in the next couple of days. Will update afterwards.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update:

Had to drop the car off for them to take the chair apart to diagnose the problem. Apparently the car came with the chair latch misaligned. It is fixed now but I'm surprised that it made it through inspection. Anyhow, thank you AnacortesArmyGuy for your suggestions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts