Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. I'm actively shopping for an Ascent and hope to pull the trigger soon. It looks like I'll go for a limited. At the moment I'm stuck on whether I want the second row to be traditional bench seat or try the "new" Captains Chair set up. Part of the reason I'm getting the Ascent is cargo space. More often than not its just me (loaded with outdoor toys/gear), me and my girlfriend (possibly loaded with gear/toys), or perhaps me and a couple buddies headed out to mountain bike (i.e. no kids). So I thought I'd see what people's perspectives on and experiences with are in regards to this option, with the hopes that someone might point out something that hasn't occurred to me (pro or con) and helps me make the decision. Oh these first world problems/decisions are rough. Hahaha. In advance, thanks! HB

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The other thing with the 7 seat configuration is that there is a fairly large gap between the 2nd and 3rd row when all is folded flat.

From a gear hauling perspective, I believe the 2nd row bench is going to be more user friendly. You get a larger, nearly flat area with minimal to no gaps between 2nd and 3rd row and you don't have the gap between the seats

From a people hauling perspective, the 2nd row captains is better, especially if you have 6 people. The space between the seats makes getting in and out of the 3rd row easier, as mentioned above. I feel the captains chairs are much more comfortable to sit/ride in than the bench seat.

This has been a tough thing for a lot of people, myself included, see the thread linked above. FYI, you may need more than "a" beer to read through it, unless you enjoy a warm beer. Grab a six pack and some popcorn. It is a very opinionated, yet civil thread.

·
Registered
978 Posts
SF Car show was interesting Subaru actually had some knowledgeable staff on the floor. Not all makers had knowledgeable staff. While waiting to talk to one three different people asked her if the Touring could be had with a bench 2nd row. Lol I asked her if Subaru was going to add bench to it or tech package to the Limited next yr. She laughed and said that those two things were by far the loudest and biggest complaints and deal breakers dealers were hearing.

Also the 2nd row fold forward spring is stiff as others have mentioned its hard to flip up from the 3rd row I’d agree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts