Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sharing some photos of the sleeping platform that we built.
It was a 2hr job to remove the seats because I was very careful not to break any fasteners.
To do it again, it could be done in 30 minutes by someone with more experience.
I removed everything, then put back in the oem carpeting and added a liner in the trunk.
The platform took a day to build with some trial and error to make it level and fully supported.

The trunk is hinged with more room than stock.

The front brace uses the stock seat bolt holes. The center brace uses the frame/body crossbar.

The front is solid, not hinged, very sturdy 3/4 plywood. The angle of the front board leaves lots of room.

Storage bins from a box store fit nice for no wasted cargo space.

This is a 2021 limited 7 passenger, there was a plug on each seat to disconnect is all for wiring.
I kept all the parts and tried to keep the assembly kiss (keep it simple stupid) it can be reassembled in a day for sale if needed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The pad is just a old piece of 3" foam for the cattle dog, budzster. The cover is 600 denier nylon.
When we camp we use a 5" foam 3" memory topper glued together cut to size from the foam factory.
The center crossbar is 28" of flat level surface for the brace, the width is 46" at the tightest spot.
The V gaps were a shortcut I took for ease of the build. I wanted to cut the boards from a template of all
the curves along the sides for a tighter fit. I tested, and the trunk would not swing up if I did that, so the
angle is for clearance and to match the brace. We are very happy with the build, it works perfectly.
Someone with more ability would have done a much tighter fit overall;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Recent posters have inspired me to update this thread. We have modified the original sleeping platform to include a summer/winter conversion. It takes about 30 min to convert to a warmer winter area for the cattle dog. He can jump in the rear door instead of the front door then up and over the console.

Dog Vertebrate Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

The new piece is attached to the original brace and lets more rear heat through. It also has a 6" lip to help cargo from sliding forward.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

The whole project has always focused around the center brace, it is very sturdy with 10 self tappers into the sub frame that has a cavity so the screws do not go through the underside outside.

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Tints and shades Gas

Finished with blanket cover

Motor vehicle Vehicle Blue Automotive design Hood

We love our Ascent!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like what you have done, thanks for posting. I have something very similar planned as I plan to do some light overlanding in mine.
Do you leave the seats out all the time?
Do you happen to know the total length and width of the platform?
I do not have my Ascent yet, so just doing some pre-planning.
Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the seats are out all the time. 2 person family. The platforms are 48" wide for ease of the build. 46" between the wheel wells. There are much wider areas in the front and back that could be used if needed. It is 72" from the front to the hatch able to close. This leaves room for storage and room for your feet when you sit on the front of the platform. You could get another 12" of length if needed. The mattress is 78" and hangs out to the rubber hatch gasket for hatch open camping If you do not have a tent of some sorts for the hatch, recommend window screens for ventilation. The platform sits as low as I could go and still clear the rubber hoses in the trunk.

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
260 Posts
The mattress is 78" and hangs out to the rubber hatch gasket for hatch open camping If you do not have a tent of some sorts for the hatch, recommend window screens for ventilation. The platform sits as low as I could go and still clear the rubber hoses in the trunk.
We were thinking of getting a hatch tent. What are you using?

·
Registered
2022 Abyss Blue Pearl Onyx
260 Posts
We have Napier brand another poster has a ridgeline. As for the napier it is thin and medium quality. Recomend treating with respect to that. Check out the link above for pics.
Gotcha! I missed that the first read-through. We're looking for something that has a bit of room to stand in and get dressed. I'm tall and was having a fun time changing when we camped in the Ascent. Well, it was fun for the wife-unit to watch me fumble around and curse a lot.

Thought about one of these, but the flat roof makes me pause. We trying not to get a full tent that just docks with the car... we already have a full tent. Just need something that you can get changed in, take your boots off, and make it easier to get in and out. We use door-tents to get airflow through the 2nd row windows and they are not great to open/close the doors with. Also the angle on the 2nd row seats + the mattress makes it amusing difficult for the wife-unit to get in that way.
| MOGICS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts