Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just got a base model ascent. Was told it would do 5k towing and the window sticker also said 5k. it was listed in the standard section, not optional section. But when looking into adding a trailer hitch I found out the base models only have 2k towing because of the transmission and there was no way to get a base model to 5k towing. But upon further investigation I found out I had the TR690SXXXX transmission, that can do 5k instead of the TR690GXXXX's 2k rating. Does anyone know if subaru made a last minute change and just made all ascents tow 5k and just forgot to update there website and clearify the owners manual? Accoding to said manual, I can do 5k, but according to the website I cant...just trying to see if anyone has seen this problem and has anymore insight.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Take a look and see if you have a transmission cooler. The cooler was the major component in the 5k rating.
Grille Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Metal

The little cooler behind the grille on the driver side

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
So just got a base model ascent. Was told it would do 5k towing and the window sticker also said 5k. it was listed in the standard section, not optional section. But when looking into adding a trailer hitch I found out the base models only have 2k towing because of the transmission and there was no way to get a base model to 5k towing. But upon further investigation I found out I had the TR690SXXXX transmission, that can do 5k instead of the TR690GXXXX's 2k rating. Does anyone know if subaru made a last minute change and just made all ascents tow 5k and just forgot to update there website and clearify the owners manual? Accoding to said manual, I can do 5k, but according to the website I cant...just trying to see if anyone has seen this problem and has anymore insight.
the Subaru website indicates the 2020 base only has 2000 while the premium does 5000. I have the 2019 limited which has the 5000. I thought I recall in 2019 the premium only had 2000 towing. If you have the base model, you should have 2000 rating. I am very curious, can you post a copy of the window sticker?

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
I thought I recall in 2019 the premium only had 2000 towing.
Premium definitely has 5000lb towing in 2019. Only the base has 2000lb. I’m curious if there was a misprint on @Jon0m0berry’s base model or if he got a unicorn.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
You need a Premium or up to have 5000 lb/500 lb tougue towing limit. The Base trim level is not setup for handling the higher capacities.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I couldnt get a decent pic of the radiators. but I do have 3 of them. 1st is normal then the 2nd is a/c, but I cant see where the 3rd goes to. It looks like it just goes straight into the inner fender area and its covered. But it does look like the one xydadx3 posted. Im leaning that mine can do 5k. Sticker says so and my vin plate says I have the correct transmission for towing 5k. Just wondering why subaru says base model does only 2k with no available option for 5k.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since it lists option package 12, I believe that is only available on the Premium trim.
So if that’s the case then yes 5k towing.
What does the left side of the sticker say? Should note the trim level (I think)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont like posting vin numbers online. But I did look and it does just say ascent. No premium, limited, or touring Anywhere on the sticker. But option 12 looks like its a sort of conviniance package. Doesn't seem to have anything to do with towing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree that package 12 is not towing related. My point was that I believe that option package is only available on the premium model. (At least according to the nadaguides.com site).
Based on what I see on the sticker - you have a base premium model (also considering it lists an 8” star link display vs the 6.5 that comes on the base).
Maybe someone else can chime in with other ways to verify.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Based on the sticker, you have a Premium trim, not a base.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
41 Posts
However congrats on your purchase and it seems like it will do exactly what you wanted.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I’m enjoying mine (though haven’t had a need to tow anything just yet - but did get the dealer to install the hitch for bike racks and future proof)

Btw - did you get the dealer to add the hitch? Doesn’t come standard but mine was able to do it pretty quickly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah after you pointed out the options thing i looked at standard stuff between base and premium and theres alot of stuff my car has that also isnt an option on the base. So now im thinking the sticker was misprinted saying it's a base model when it should have been printed as a premium model. So thanks for that. But yeah both me and my wife are loving it. We wanted a durango but after we test drove the ascent and saw how safe it was, we have a 2yr old and another on the way, we quickly decided we needed this over a durango.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
So just got a base model ascent. Was told it would do 5k towing and the window sticker also said 5k
Base Model Ascent absolutely cannot do 5K towing. Did you save the window sticker? Perhaps they'd work on a trade up to a Premium that can do 5K towing?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah after you pointed out the options thing i looked at standard stuff between base and premium and theres alot of stuff my car has that also isnt an option on the base. So now im thinking the sticker was misprinted saying it's a base model when it should have been printed as a premium model. So thanks for that. But yeah both me and my wife are loving it. We wanted a durango but after we test drove the ascent and saw how safe it was, we have a 2yr old and another on the way, we quickly decided we needed this over a durango.
Greetings,
Right. The heated seats and 8-way power adjustment also wouldn't be on the base model, I think. Or the leather shifter. (and more)

Most importantly, in my opinion, is that you got the auto dimming exterior mirrors. Probably my favorite add-on, and possibly not available on the base trim.

A curious mistake on the part of the sticker. But all's well that ends well. Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
you definaqtely were given a Premium trim model. Whether your price reflected a base model or premium i sanother matter. The vehicle in your possession can tow 5000.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Yeah after you pointed out the options thing i looked at standard stuff between base and premium and theres alot of stuff my car has that also isnt an option on the base. So now im thinking the sticker was misprinted saying it's a base model when it should have been printed as a premium model.
you definaqtely were given a Premium trim model. Whether your price reflected a base model or premium i sanother matter. The vehicle in your possession can tow 5000.
Easiest way to confirm this for piece of mind is to use a VIN decoder, such as this one:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.