Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Registered
2023 Limited
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ours was supposed to be delivered originally on the 19th. That got pushed back to today (29th) and still no call (I've been texting my salesperson nearly every day for the past 2 weeks, probably annoyed him by now. haha). I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping we can pick it up tomorrow (the 30th). If it arrives tomorrow then we plan on christening it this weekend by driving over the cascade passes (which picked up 1 to 2 ft of snow just today and more to come).
I know the feeling. I started working with the Credit Union on Tuesday of last week hoping to have everything sorted and a check in hand prior to the weekend (and the 27th a Sunday when it was supposed to get in).

They looked at me funny for wanting a check in hand ready to go even though the holiday was upcoming and the aforementioned Sunday conundrum.

Lo and behold the car arrived Wednesday midday and had to sit at the (closed) dealer through the holiday til Friday. Frustrating.

For anyone who made it this far, I highly recommend using www.datatrac.net to search local credit unions to find a good rate. You’ll have to skip over the ones you likely don’t qualify for (damn you county employees only CU at 2%), but might find something lower than SOAs offer.

· Registered
2023 Ascent Onyx Limited
442 Posts
Hahaha, Nervous laughter. We snagged 2.99% for 36 months from the local credit union. You do the math.

In reality though it was easier to finance the whole purchase and sort out our down payment with the bank instead of splitting payment at the dealer.

But yes these babies are pricey (as are most new SUVs).
How the heck did you swing that?!?!? Checking on our local credit union's site, a 36 month car loan on a new car is 6.35%! I don't see any way it will be less to go with anyone besides the Subaru in-house financing.

Edit: Just read your reply. We posted at the same time. Thanks for the lead. I found out that OU Credit Union has a 1.99% rate. I'm a proud Oklahoma State Alumni, but I did get my masters from OU. That means I can get access to the OU Credit Union by joining the OU Alumni Association. A $50 donation could could save me something like $1,600 in interest. We will see what happens though.

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
But yes these babies are pricey (as are most new SUVs).
Given the average new vehicle cost in the US currently is north of $49K, Ascent is 'average' in cost. :)

· Registered
2023 Ascent Onyx Limited
442 Posts
@Brixil @Jim_in_PA
For the class the Ascent is actually low, and that is just considering the MSRP. If you go by what you can actually get it for it is INSANE!!! I think I've said this in other threads, but other dealers are still trying to charge WELL over MSRP for their vehicles. The Toyota dealership near me wanted to charge $2,190 for a BS Dealer package (tint, wheel locks, ect) plus a $995 Toyota Protection Package and I think an additional Market adjustment too. My co-worker told me the Hyundai and Kia dealerships were starting negotiations with an $8K Market adjustment. I actually emailed the Toyota salesman to see if he could compete with my Ascent price. He didn't even respond.

· Registered
2023 Limited
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@Brixil @Jim_in_PA
For the class the Ascent is actually low, and that is just considering the MSRP. If you go by what you can actually get it for it is INSANE!!! I think I've said this in other threads, but other dealers are still trying to charge WELL over MSRP for their vehicles. The Toyota dealership near me wanted to charge $2,190 for a BS Dealer package (tint, wheel locks, ect) plus a $995 Toyota Protection Package and I think an additional Market adjustment too. My co-worker told me the Hyundai and Kia dealerships were starting negotiations with an $8K Market adjustment. I actually emailed the Toyota salesman to see if he could compete with my Ascent price. He didn't even respond.
We shopped comparable models @ Toyota, Mazda, and Hyundai/Kia and all wanted markups of some form or fashion. Even without the markups we liked the Ascent the most. The VIP program made it a slam dunk.

· Registered
2023 Ascent Onyx Limited
442 Posts
@Brixil I've worried I didn't shop around enough before reserving the Ascent. We didn't go and talk to/test drive anything other than Subaru and Toyota. However, stuff like this makes me feel much better. Crazy that the 4 other companies you mentioned were all the ones that were on my list along with the Ascent.

· Registered
477 Posts
I would either buy used, or keep what I have, before I ever bought a vehicle above MSRP ...or with add ons I didn't want. It's probably the reason we ended up with an Ascent. Having a broken 17 RL, I looked for 22 Honda RLs out as far as 500 miles from here last October. There were none to have without all the BS referred to above. Plus, the ones I found online weren't on site to begin with. They were in transit and would require money down just to hold one with no firm delivery date. The local Subaru dealer had one vehicle not spoken for on the load being dropped there that day when we went there after dropping our broken RL off a few minutes earlier. We stopped just to look around and inquire. No prior contact with them, although I do know the sales mananget a bit. He went right to the bottom line on price which was well below MSRP. I didn't dicker at all. It was a done deal a couple hours later. This new car thing is kinda new to me. Most of my life we never had new cars (2 new ones from 1968 to 2014). Now we can. This is only my 3rd trade in life too. Two of them being in the last five years.

· Registered
23 Ascent Premium, 20 Outback; former 19 Outback, 87 GL-10, 85 GL
78 Posts
Where do I get invoice price info for accessories? ie; 3rd row window shade? Does it come as a pair?
When you build the car it lists all the accessories. I think the window shades are individual, not as a pair, but I could be wrong. The factory tint is so good you may not really need the shades, but they are offered. Edmunds and kbb are good sources for invoice pricing, or you can just take 10% off msrp and get really close.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,271 Posts
When you build the car it lists all the accessories. I think the window shades are individual, not as a pair, but I could be wrong. The factory tint is so good you may not really need the shades, but they are offered. Edmunds and kbb are good sources for invoice pricing, or you can just take 10% off msrp and get really close.
shades come as two for the second row. I plan on tinting the first row windows in the near future.

· Registered
2023 Ascent Onyx Limited
442 Posts

· Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
6,279 Posts
A "list"...not really and it's been pretty variable over the past couple of years with a lot of dealers bowing out due to the supply issues, etc. The best thing to do is to call the dealerships you are targeting and see if they accept the program. You need a dealer name before you can secure the certificate from your program partner.

Reactions: Bonny
21 - 35 of 35 Posts