Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,871 Posts
"Drives like an Outback..." Nope. More akin to the Forester, IMHO, and we have all three in the family. ;)

Reactions: ntotrr and AgentK

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
How'd they get a 2023 MY already?
It's most likely a press vehicle so ths same exact car should be popping up in other reviews, either in "print" or on YouTube. I fully expect the same sentiments as this article. 'It's a 3-row SUV for people who like Subarus' - nothing necessarilty wrong with that.

I always get a litlte annoyed at all the love for the Hyundai/Kia SUVs. They've got the trendy looks that give off a pretentious vibe IMO. I don't get that same vibe from Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. Maybe it's just me. I like the Subaru quirks that may diminish as we move toward EVs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's most likely a press vehicle so ths same exact car should be popping up in other reviews, either in "print" or on YouTube. I fully expect the same sentiments as this article. 'It's a 3-row SUV for people who like Subarus' - nothing necessarilty wrong with that.

I always get a litlte annoyed at all the love for the Hyundai/Kia SUVs. They've got the trendy looks that give off a pretentious vibe IMO. I don't get that same vibe from Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. Maybe it's just me. I like the Subaru quirks that may diminish as we move toward EVs.
I read the article. They have the current all-ready out pictures mixed in with current model pictures. And really nothing new to say than what information about 2023 is already available. It seems pretty clickbait-like to me.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
455 Posts
I always get a litlte annoyed at all the love for the Hyundai/Kia SUVs. They've got the trendy looks that give off a pretentious vibe IMO.
There's a scene in the TV show New Girl where one of the characters says he's going to go outlet mall shopping "so I can dress like a rich guy from 3 years ago". When I look at Hyundai/Kia models (not just the Telluride/Palisade), I always think "that looks like a Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Acura/Jaguar from 3 years ago".

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I read the article. They have the current all-ready out pictures mixed in with current model pictures. And really nothing new to say than what information about 2023 is already available. It seems pretty clickbait-like to me.
I read the article earlier this morning, but did not look at the photos. You're right - it is weird that it's a mix of Subaru press photos of photos from an earlier review. Looks like they really phoned it in rather than actually re-reviewing a 2023. Man, I've been reading Autoblog for ages and this newer format they've been using is quite lacking. Like you alluded to - it's probably good for SEO to get those clicks. At least it's nowhere near as egregious as torquenews!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
There's a scene in the TV show New Girl where one of the characters says he's going to go outlet mall shopping "so I can dress like a rich guy from 3 years ago". When I look at Hyundai/Kia models (not just the Telluride/Palisade), I always think "that looks like a Mercedes/BMW/Audi/Acura/Jaguar from 3 years ago".
New Girl is always funny when I ever watch it.

I guess like many of us here, Subarus just work for me for some reason. I've never bought the same make twice until I bough a Subaru - even if they're not the most stylish or even reliable (dare I say). The Ascent is competetive while also dancing to the beat of its own drummer. It's styled like an Outback from 8 years ago, which wasn't excatly a fresh look to begin with!

·
Registered
201 Posts

I have nothing against Kia/Hyundai's specifically. I actually like the look of the Telluride and Palisade, but I think that's the difference. If you want a luxury feel/look for a mid-range SUV price, then you go with one of them. But if you want a more rugged/capable vehicle that's more practical (and cheaper) then you go for something like the Subaru Ascent.

I'm personally not a big luxury kind of guy and neither is my Wife, but I value design quality (great AWD system, etc), capability and definitely safety way higher than luxury and looks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If I'm being honest, first choice was a Telluride. But the 23 model changes were not super appealing to me, plus the wait times were 8-12 months.

The article is partially click bait. I'm going to reserve my thoughts until I pick up my 23 Touring in November.

·
Super Moderator
3,600 Posts
"Drives like an Outback..." Nope. More akin to the Forester, IMHO, and we have all three in the family. ;)
Looks more like a Forester, maybe…
Every Forester I’ve driven has been lethargic; the Ascent is far from it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,871 Posts
Looks more like a Forester, maybe…
Every Forester I’ve driven has been lethargic; the Ascent is far from it.
I wouldn't say our MY20 Forester Limited is "spritely", but it's not a pig, either. Then again, I'm an extremely "non-aggressive" driver. The Ascent clearly responds to the skinny pedal getting mashed a lot faster, however. If I do the same with the Forester (again...rare...) it moves out adequately, but certainly not as cheerfully as the Ascent. :)

But the real reason I said that I disagreed with the article about their assertion that the Ascent drove like an Outback is because to me, they have completely different feel when it comes to steering, etc. Now that's based on MY16 and MY11 Outbacks and perhaps the MY20+ (global platform) feels "more like" the other global platform vehicles, but I have no personal experience (yet) to know that for sure.

·
Premium Member
2022 Ascent Touring, 7 Passenger - AWD
137 Posts
I read the article and the most important feature for me was SAFETY:
"The Ascent received five out of five stars from the NHTSA for frontal, side and overall crash protection.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety named it a Top Safety Pick+ for its best-possible performance in every single category.
That’s a rare feat".:sneaky2:

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
207 Posts
If I'm being honest, first choice was a Telluride. But the 23 model changes were not super appealing to me, plus the wait times were 8-12 months.

The article is partially click bait. I'm going to reserve my thoughts until I pick up my 23 Touring in November.
When my wife and I bought our '21 Touring about 20 months ago, I was also heavily considering a Palisade. But like the Tellurides, the dealers were asking markups over MSRP by around 5K. No way would I pay that for any vehicle. Besides the markup, AWD Palisades and Tellurides were hardly in stock anywhere. I wouldn't buy an SUV that wasn't AWD. Having had a Legacy in '92 and a '14 Forester and '15 Outback, I should have known better and just gone straight to the Ascent.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
774 Posts
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety named it a Top Safety Pick+ for its best-possible performance in every single category.
Not super related, but I've been wondering for a while if IIHS will create another top category in the near future. The Top Safety Pick+ field is pretty crowded (don't get me wrong, definitely a good thing) but safety will continue to improve and I think it will be necessary to differentiate between top of the class soon.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When my wife and I bought our '21 Touring about 20 months ago, I was also heavily considering a Palisade. But like the Tellurides, the dealers were asking markups over MSRP by around 5K. No way would I pay that for any vehicle. Besides the markup, AWD Palisades and Tellurides were hardly in stock anywhere. I wouldn't buy an SUV that wasn't AWD. Having had a Legacy in '92 and a '14 Forester and '15 Outback, I should have known better and just gone straight to the Ascent.
Well, fortunately I had a dealer in NJ selling with no markups, so that wasn't the issue. So our main gripe is/was waiting for unlimited time (if I understand, prices are still not out for the '23 model Telride yet).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts