Subaru Ascent Forum banner
81 - 100 of 120 Posts

· Registered
411 Posts
Exactly. For me it's been the moonroof. Every car I've owned since 1982 has had some form of hole in the roof. Hasn't mattered where I've lived, I never use them. Please have a delete option.

For the Ascent, it's the Captain's seats on the Touring. My dogs hate the buckets and refuse to sit far away from me in the 3rd row. Besides the 3rd row is mostly folded down. Make the 3rd row a delete option too.
I would say your issue with the moonroof is more wanting the absence of a feature than a feature to be included. However, I very much agree that the 2nd row bench should be an option on all trims. That is a pretty minor variation and one I've seen requested on here a lot.

As for the 3rd row, it isn't like the 4runner where it is tacked on. It is part of the inherent design and would require a pretty massive re-design to remove. There likely would not be near enough demand to justify having an additional variant without it. It would lose money and therefore drive up the cost of the vehicle.

Something that seems more likely (and one I've been hoping for for a while) is for Subaru to make a true 2 row mid-size SUV. This would be similar to the Ford Edge and Honda Passport and could be based on the Outback frame like the Tribeca was a decade back. Just without unusable 3rd row. If it were to happen I would think it would be the year after the Outback re-design is announced.

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Exactly. For me it's been the moonroof. Every car I've owned since 1982 has had some form of hole in the roof. Hasn't mattered where I've lived, I never use them. Please have a delete option.
The sunroof 'package inclusion' is my biggest peeve as well. Honda RLs do the same. You couldn't get parts you want without it. With Honda, I wouldn't give in. I had no use for an in bed stereo or a few other things in the 'top' package I had to get in order to get a somewhat basic safety suite.

The last GM, Dodge, and Chrysler vehicles we had (still do have one of them) had the sunroof as an individual adder...the way it should be. It's a huge perforation in the skin of the vehicle, subject to problems and more wind noise. Our 22 sunroof was opened once just to try it out.

Another area is safety. Subaru rightfully prides themselves on safety...and the 23 added some to the Limited, but safety is another area where the max safety suite they provide should be available in all trims. Granted, the top level gets it all, but then you should be able to add the same safety suite to lower levels for a modest option price. Chrysler had that option for our 2017 300.

· Administrator
13,190 Posts
Is it possible for Subaru to send a firmware update to change AVH back to prior to 2023?
Possible? Yes. Likely? Probably not. They're not a fan of changing an assistive safety related feature mid release. MAYBE if enough people asked, they'd make it user settable, with the replacement firmware defaulting to the current 2023 setup - but, even that I'd guess against. happening. At best, we'd see it in a new model year would be my guess - IF enough people complained...

· Registered
364 Posts
Possible? Yes. Likely? Probably not. They're not a fan of changing an assistive safety related feature mid release. MAYBE if enough people asked, they'd make it user settable, with the replacement firmware defaulting to the current 2023 setup - but, even that I'd guess against. happening. At best, we'd see it in a new model year would be my guess - IF enough people complained...
Where do we send the complaint? Got an email address for Subaru complaints/requests?

· Administrator
13,190 Posts
You can email Customers at Subaru (c o m)

Or, if you get a vehicle survey, add it to the appropriate section there.

· Registered
Just ordered a '23 Ascent Touring
141 Posts
I have 620 miles on mine. I notice a bit if surging about 50 to 55 mph. I DO notice the fake shifts and would like to be rid of them. I also fitted Continental LX-25s and they are noisy on this car, but Discount is letting me - on their 30 day satisfaction thing - move to another tire. I will be fitting CrossClimate 2s later today.

Subaru: if you are reading this, please do one of two things: go back to physical controls, or, turn the screen toward the driver and make it more vertical. It is a glare-bomb, and also some polarised sunglasses make it hard to read. And, a Touring should have front "radar" for parking. Something standard on cars $20K cheaper should be there.

· Registered
52 Posts

For the Ascent, it's the Captain's seats on the Touring. My dogs hate the buckets and refuse to sit far away from me in the 3rd row. Besides the 3rd row is mostly folded down. Make the 3rd row a delete option too.
Same for me in regard to the moonroof. I usually bought my vehicles off the lot & the ones I wanted always had a moonroof. And like you, never used it. Ordered my '22 Onyx & this is the first vehicle in a while that didn't have one.
I would have preferred to upgrade the stereo to the Harman Kardon system, but that only came as a package with the panoramic moonroof. No thanks Subaru.
Those days of going to a dealer & ordering a vehicle exactly the way you wanted are long gone. :(

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Subaru: if you are reading this, please do one of two things: go back to physical controls, or, turn the screen toward the driver and make it more vertical. It is a glare-bomb, and also some polarised sunglasses make it hard to read. And, a Touring should have front "radar" for parking. Something standard on cars $20K cheaper should be there.
We haven't had any glare issues. We're 70 and 74...but I sure did have glare problems many years ago... till I got my cataracts done early at 52 :)

Heck, a Limited should have front sonar! Our 2010 LaCrosse had front sonar...and a nice heads up display on the winshield...and we didn't have the top package. You could even stick the nav on the heads up display if you wanted.

Same for me in regard to the moonroof. I usually bought my vehicles off the lot & the ones I wanted always had a moonroof. And like you, never used it. Ordered my '22 Onyx & this is the first vehicle in a while that didn't have one.
I would have preferred to upgrade the stereo to the Harman Kardon system, but that only came as a package with the panoramic moonroof. No thanks Subaru.
Those days of going to a dealer & ordering a vehicle exactly the way you wanted are long gone. :(
Three things were in the OP23 package for 2023 that overrode the sunroof. I've stated before...I'm old fashioned and prefer the in house nav (with our phones for back up), the 360 view monitor system (which at least has guidelines for front parking), and I 'needed' the Harmon Kardon set up. Certainly not the end all for sound set ups, but it fits the slot of stereo I find myself in these days. I'll never have problems with the sun roof because it will never be open., but I sure as hell wish it was priced as a stand alone option

· Administrator
13,190 Posts
Same hitch as before (ending now with a "5"), but heavily backordered. I think it can be added by the dealerships.

· Registered
364 Posts
I'm just getting caught up on the 2023s. What's the dea with the hitch? I did not see it listed as an available accossory when you build one on the website.
It's still there, but buried way down the list if you filter to 'all' accessories. It's right before the pet stuff.

Dog Carnivore Font Companion dog Dog supply

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
That's really sweet. My wife's car has wireless CP/AA and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to whose phone it picks up when, and no simple way to switch between profiles/phones.
The phone thing can be honed a little further. There's an unlit star by each phone listed. Tag the star you want for the default phone and it will look for that phone first on start up.. No matter if you're both in the car. I made the default for my wife. It's her driver.. Mine too till spring, but this means less monkeying for her which she doesn't like doing. When I get in, it recognizes me for seat and mirrors and after a bit asks if I want to activate this profile.

No matter what... It's also easy to change back and forth with the manage devices icon on the touchscreen just above the HVAC window.

· Registered
411 Posts
@Steve70 Do you have the 360 camera system? If so what is the quality of the cameras like? Specifically the front camera. I test drove a 2023 Outback Touring a few weeks back and I was surprised to see the front camera was TERRIBLE quality. Much worse that the back-up one which already is not wonderful. I'm hoping this won't be the case on the Ascent with the surround view cameras.

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
@zachavm We have the 360 camera. Perhaps I'm less honed in on good and bad cameras, but I think the front is OK. It's not as good as the back, but works well for the guidelines to adher to for going forward. For parking automatic sonar would have been better as you have to hit the view button to activate. I do like the split screen when backing up which clearly shows the sides of the vehicle

· Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
The front cam, if it's mounted the same as the 2019-2022 gets even worse when it's raining. Even when you're standing still or crawling a water droplet will hang on the lens and blur or obscure the image.
I've only used it for parking so far. I don't know if prior Touring models had the rear camera washer, but it works slick! That's a big deal around here with all the salt that goes down

· Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
966 Posts
Salesman is incorrect. Manual is correct. It used to remember the setting, but not any more.
  • 2019-2022 Ascent: AVH remembers previous setting on previous ignition cycle.
  • 2023+ Ascent: AVH is off at the start of every ignition cycle.
2023 Touring > AVH still remembers previous setting..

81 - 100 of 120 Posts