Subaru Ascent Forum banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Good info. The part I don't utilize is the AVH. 99% of the time, my brake foot doesn't need a rest :) The few times I tried it last year, it seemed there was a bit of resistance before the car moved...causing it to just move a bit faster than intended when it let loose...like backing out of our garage.

One small bug I can't seem to find a way to get around is a 'back' button to go back to where you were. As in, you take or make a phone call and end it. It appears you have to go back to the home screen and then to radio or media or whatever to get to that screen. Our Uconnect cars, going back to 2013, have the main icons on the bottom of the screen and a back button. That said, I'll repeat: I really like the new set up for all cabin controls!

· Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
516 Posts
Good info. The part I don't utilize is the AVH. 99% of the time, my brake foot doesn't need a rest :) The few times I tried it last year, it seemed there was a bit of resistance before the car moved...causing it to just move a bit faster than intended when it let loose...like backing out of our garage.
I rarely use it, but when I do, I will tap the brake pedal to release AVH rather than the accelerator, because it doesn't use the behavior that you describe (and I experience).

One small bug I can't seem to find a way to get around is a 'back' button to go back to where you were. As in, you take or make a phone call and end it. It appears you have to go back to the home screen and then to radio or media or whatever to get to that screen. Our Uconnect cars, going back to 2013, have the main icons on the bottom of the screen and a back button. That said, I'll repeat: I really like the new set up for all cabin controls!
I universally use CarPlay so never have this issue.

· Registered
412 Posts
I personally use LOVE the AVH feature on my Forester. The only thing I don't like about it is that I need to reactivate every time I start the car. I was a little annoyed at first that there was no physical button for it on the 2023, but it might actually be easier having it right in front of me on the screen than down by the shifter on my Forester. I just wish I could map something to the empty spot where the auto-stop-start button is on the Outback. That would be very nice. Maybe it is possible. I have not read through the manual.

· Registered
367 Posts
I personally use LOVE the AVH feature on my Forester. The only thing I don't like about it is that I need to reactivate every time I start the car. I was a little annoyed at first that there was no physical button for it on the 2023, but it might actually be easier having it right in front of me on the screen than down by the shifter on my Forester. I just wish I could map something to the empty spot where the auto-stop-start button is on the Outback. That would be very nice. Maybe it is possible. I have not read through the manual.
Not sure if true or not, but that video I linked above the salesperson answers that question in the comments, saying once AVH is on it stays on even if you turn the car off and back on again.

· Registered
412 Posts
Not sure if true or not, but that video I linked above the salesperson answers that question in the comments, saying once AVH is on it stays on even if you turn the car off and back on again.
Well I'm basing it on the fact that I searched the manual and that is what it said. That could be wrong. However, he could also be basing his understanding on the previous 4 model years in which that setting did stay on after being restarting the vehicle.

Font Circle Parallel Art Line art

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Well I'm basing it on the fact that I searched the manual and that is what it said. That could be wrong. However, he could also be basing his understanding on the previous 4 model years in which that setting did stay on after being restarting the vehicle.
Salesman is incorrect. Manual is correct. It used to remember the setting, but not any more.
  • 2019-2022 Ascent: AVH remembers previous setting on previous ignition cycle.
  • 2023+ Ascent: AVH is off at the start of every ignition cycle.

· Registered
59 Posts
Salesman is incorrect. Manual is correct. It used to remember the setting, but not any more.
  • 2019-2022 Ascent: AVH remembers previous setting on previous ignition cycle.
  • 2023+ Ascent: AVH is off at the start of every ignition cycle.
I hate this. Why make this change? I love it always on with our 2019, and it's going to be a pain setting it EVERY time we get in the car on our 2023 (picking up in 1 week, Inshalla).

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
I hate this. Why make this change? I love it always on with our 2019, and it's going to be a pain setting it EVERY time we get in the car on our 2023 (picking up in 1 week, Inshalla).
Me too. I bitched about it when it came out with the new Denso package. I am thinking that the switch to those newer systems got us the software code that came with them on other models. 😕

· Registered
52 Posts
It's getting cold here & the other day turned on the heated seat & steering wheel. Parked the Ascent (2022) & went into the store. Came back & when I started it up, I noticed the heated seat was still on, but the steering wheel was not. Weird.
Not sure if it's supposed to be that way, but seems odd it would be.
I know in my previous vehicle ('17 Grand Cherokee) those features had to turned on each time you entered the vehicle.
I haven't checked the manual to see what it says in that regard.

· Registered
367 Posts
It's getting cold here & the other day turned on the heated seat & steering wheel. Parked the Ascent (2022) & went into the store. Came back & when I started it up, I noticed the heated seat was still on, but the steering wheel was not. Weird.
I know in my previous vehicle ('17 Grand Cherokee) those features had to turned on each time you entered the vehicle.
I haven't reached that part of the owners manual yet for the Ascent, however in my pacifica minivan the heated seats will come on automatically if the outside temp is below 40f.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
I think the heated seats will come on if they were on when you shut the vehicle off. They do in the 23.

Pretty sure the seats in our Chrysler 300 could be programmed on to heat or cool for remote start in the settings

Our 1st heated seat car...driver's seat only...was our 75 SAAB. It was temperature based and touted as a safety feature

· Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
516 Posts
Seats save their setting from the last time the car was on, steering wheel is always off by default.

· Registered
412 Posts
Is it possible for Subaru to send a firmware update to change AVH back to prior to 2023?
It is a completely different system so it would not be changing it back. However, I expect it would probably be trivial to make the change software wise. That said I don't expect it to happen. Changes like that can be hard to achieve. Even if they did it would probably be for future model years as it is expressly said it works that way in the manual.

· Registered
412 Posts
I think the heated seats will come on if they were on when you shut the vehicle off. They do in the 23.

Pretty sure the seats in our Chrysler 300 could be programmed on to heat or cool for remote start in the settings

Our 1st heated seat car...driver's seat only...was our 75 SAAB. It was temperature based and touted as a safety feature
Heated seats can be controlled in remote start with the MySubaru app. As far as I know, no subaru did that for ventilated seats, but it possible that might have been added with 2023 models.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Heated seats can be controlled in remote start with the MySubaru app. As far as I know, no subaru did that for ventilated seats, but it possible that might have been added with 2023 models.
No ventilated seats here, but I wish they were included with the Limited. Other brands allow cooled seats without going to the top model

Our 300S remote didn't have an app.. Just the Fob... The settings were programmed on board.

· Registered
412 Posts
@Steve70 Agreed. I would love to have it on our Onyx Limited, or more specifically I wish they had a black styling option for the top trim. It is very annoying to me that you have to sacrifice some features to get others. Same with the Wilderness trims on the Outback and Forester. Why is there not a "Wilderness Touring" or an "Onyx Touring"? I love that they have started down that road with the "Onyx Limited" on the Ascent, but they need to keep going.

· Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,715 Posts
It is very annoying to me that you have to sacrifice some features to get others.
Exactly. For me it's been the moonroof. Every car I've owned since 1982 has had some form of hole in the roof. Hasn't mattered where I've lived, I never use them. Please have a delete option.

For the Ascent, it's the Captain's seats on the Touring. My dogs hate the buckets and refuse to sit far away from me in the 3rd row. Besides the 3rd row is mostly folded down. Make the 3rd row a delete option too.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts