Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 120 Posts

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
Isn't the punchiness of the throttle (throttle mapping) dependent on the learning it does after first purchasing it? I think I've read there is a way to reset it and reprogram it. I don't know too much about this, just what I've casually read on this and other subaru forums. @Robert.Mauro probably knows more.
Yes, to an extent. But that harsh throttle tip in remains through the learning, sadly.

· Registered
412 Posts
@Tom2154 It is actively getting better, but you will still be very hard pressed to find a new vehicle on the lot these days. Most are spoke for before they arrive. Subaru is one of the worse ones for this as far as I can tell. That said, I expect it to be back to pre-covid by the end of next year at the latest. Things are actively improving. The chip shortage is over for more advanced chips.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
@Tom2154 It is actively getting better, but you will still be very hard pressed to find a new vehicle on the lot these days. Most are spoke for before they arrive. Subaru is one of the worse ones for this as far as I can tell. That said, I expect it to be back to pre-covid by the end of next year at the latest. Things are actively improving. The chip shortage is over for more advanced chips.
I agree, but would add that I asked the guy closing our deal if their Ford store in the adjacent lot had the same issues for stock as the Subaru store. He said they did with most all vehicles ordered out. They had no lot stock either....so far.

· Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,715 Posts
I sooo wish. Straight 6 and two speed air cooled PowerGlide.
Yes the old Blue Flame 6. All the slowness with none of the economy.

My favorite part of those engines was how they would stall when making a left across busy oncoming traffic. We figured out that if you flipped the carb 180° putting the float bowl opposite its normal position you could get it to stall on right turns instead. A much safer situation. Modifying the fuel line and linkage was easy. It's a wonder any of us are still alive.

· Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
957 Posts
Yes the old Blue Flame 6. All the slowness with none of the economy.

My favorite part of those engines was how they would stall when making a left across busy oncoming traffic. We figured out that if you flipped the carb 180° putting the float bowl opposite its normal position you could get it to stall on right turns instead. A much safer situation. Modifying the fuel line and linkage was easy. It's a wonder any of us are still alive.
A great example of what we in Oklahoma refer to as "Agro-American Engineering" I'm sure Billy Bob & Cooter would approve. My first car in HS was a $75 49 Chebby 2 door fastback with the "Stove-Bolt 6", AKA "The Babbitt Bastard", due to the cast Babbitt bearings. I knocked the muffler off and installed an Edmunds 2X1bbl manifold (which ran like crap but looked cool).

· Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,715 Posts
A great example of what we in Oklahoma refer to as "Agro-American Engineering" I'm sure Billy Bob & Cooter would approve. My first car in HS was a $75 49 Chebby 2 door fastback with the "Stove-Bolt 6", AKA "The Babbitt Bastard", due to the cast Babbitt bearings. I knocked the muffler off and installed an Edmunds 2X1bbl manifold (which ran like crap but looked cool).
I used to scavenge metal for all kinds of brackets out of my old Erector Sets. Looking at the prices of Erector Sets on ebay makes me wish I kept them intact.

· Registered
957 Posts
I used to scavenge metal for all kinds of brackets out of my old Erector Sets. Looking at the prices of Erector Sets on ebay makes me wish I kept them intact.
Oh, the "what ifs'. My brother & I had a few Erector Sets that Mom tossed after we were long gone. In the mid 60's, I used to peruse the local classifieds for interesting cars to take for a test (joy) ride. I responded to an ad for an Allard/Cadillac that had been hacked-up/modified into a dirt track racer. It was rough but cheap ($1000 as I recall). It had a Hydramatic trans, and I remember that my head was slammed back into the roll bar as it shifted from 1st to 2nd.

It could have been resurrected, and who knows what an Allard J2 would bring today.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
957 Posts
@Steve70 would you mind checking the driver's side door plaque for the GVWR? I expect it is still 6000, but I'm curious if it might have changed. That has tax implications for many people if it jumps just one pound to 6001.

View attachment 18881
In some states, a vehicle that would normally be classified as commercial, due to weight, can be registered as an "RV" to avoid the higher tax & registration fees. You might look into that if, in fact, the GVWR has jumped to over 6000#. However if the cops catch you carrying anything in the cargo area (other than "camping supplies, etc), a hefty fine can ensue.

· Registered
52 Posts
Good memories with the Erector sets. I can relate.
Growing up in the 50s & 60s, Mickey Mantle was my favorite baseball player. I had a quite a of few of his baseball cards & when I went off to college, for whatever reason Mom decided to throw the shoe boxes full of assorted cards in the trash.
Over the years, I'd show her every now & then what Mantle cards were bringing in auctions. Needless to say, she was floored. 😲

· Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,715 Posts
Good memories with the Erector sets. I can relate.
Growing up in the 50s & 60s, Mickey Mantle was my favorite baseball player. I had a quite a of few of his baseball cards & when I went off to college, for whatever reason Mom decided to throw the shoe boxes full of assorted cards in the trash.
Over the years, I'd show her every now & then what Mantle cards were bringing in auctions. Needless to say, she was floored. 😲
I have similar grievous memories of cars I have owned. There have been many, but one in particular... 1969 Yenko Camaro. Owned it from approximately 1974 -1976. Probably sold it for about $5k. They sell for hundreds of thousands at Barrett-Jackson.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
@Steve70 would you mind checking the driver's side door plaque for the GVWR? I expect it is still 6000, but I'm curious if it might have changed. That has tax implications for many people if it jumps just one pound to 6001.
Sorry, it has absolutely not changed. That change would make it a Federal Class II vehicle.

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
@Steve70 one more question for you. Would you mind taking a picture of the rear view mirror with screen on? The version in the 2022 and earlier has pretty huge bezels and I'm wondering if they have improved it.
They did. This is a real view of it.
Mirror Car Vehicle Wheel Tire

You can see it in action in this video @packout shared earlier, at the 5m59s mark:

@Steve70 what I would like to know is if these glow at night when the lights are on (red parts in the circle).
Automotive tail & brake light Car Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

· Administrator
13,223 Posts
That's sad. I think the car would look a lot classier if it did.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I corrected myself above as regards the driver recognition and what it controls. At first I thought it switched phones too, but it doesn't.... Just driver position, mirrors, and a few other settings you may have set

But... as soon as another profile driver gets in the car with their phone, the car asks: 'Do you want to activate this profile? ' Hit yes and it picks up the different phone on board. We've tried it a couple times now and it works slick 👍

· Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
516 Posts
I corrected myself above as regards the driver recognition and what it controls. At first I thought it switched phones too, but it doesn't.... Just driver position, mirrors, and a few other settings you may have set

But... as soon as another profile driver gets in the car with their phone, the car asks: 'Do you want to activate this profile? ' Hit yes and it picks up the different phone on board. We've tried it a couple times now and it works slick 👍
That's really sweet. My wife's car has wireless CP/AA and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to whose phone it picks up when, and no simple way to switch between profiles/phones.

· Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
That's really sweet. My wife's car has wireless CP/AA and there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to whose phone it picks up when, and no simple way to switch between profiles/phones.
.. Even if that wasn't an option.. Or a driver profile not set up.. Simply tapping on the phone icon from the home screen takes you right to your phones and you can tap which phone is preferred to come on in the car

41 - 60 of 120 Posts