Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a couple of quick observations as I get familiar with the new stuff

Little things count...like the extra thigh support extension only has one seam now instead of a pleat. I'm guessing it was changed for easier cleaning purposes...or if for cost...happy they did it!
The dastardly volume control does not take over the entire screen anymore.
All car settings are now normal for input. Subaru was not on a trend setting line with the prior models. Much better!
The cruise control mph up/down settings have been reversed from 5 up/down quickly...long hold for 1 mph increments. Much better IMO
I find everything in the touchscreen 'menu' to be easy to find and adjust (y)
Having not had it before, I like the 360 camera

What could be better?

The tuning knob should be able to scroll when in any individual menu in the car settings. That's been normal in all vehicles we've had for decades.

The lack of scrolling also presents itself in the media area. The only time it does that I found so far is playing an entire folder / album / all songs. You can then scroll down through the songs with the tuning knob. (Our 22 car would not allow me to see and/or browse the upcoming tracks in a folder and/or on shuffle) I wish the 23 also had that scrolling function when going through the albums and folders. I probably have 250 or so albums / folders and a few 100 other songs that you must use the slider for. I will give credit to being able to 'page' down 5 at a time. I'll also admit to being old fashioned with my 2500 song mini jump stick.. so maybe this music info falls on somewhat deaf ears?

All in all much better than the prior interface for pretty much all stuff. Quite happy with it! ...and with the Cosmic Blue color!

I may also be in a minority from a few comments here, but I like the front end better than the previous style.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
I think you mis-spoke. They changed the cruise switch to be tap for 1 mph, hold for 5mph.
I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me. 1 mph increments is ridiculous for normal travel through changing speed zones. Long holds for 5mph are almost as bad.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I prefer the tap for 1mph and hold for 5mph changes. I like to adjust slightly as I'm driving based on traffic conditions. 5mph adjustments are too much when needing to make a quick/slight adjustment, IMHO.

I'm personally happy to see the change. Also, I don't use the adaptive cruise control, I prefer the normal cruise control.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
Thus it should be a setting.
That I can agree with.

People who are primarily highway drivers in non-Metro-NY would benefit from 1 mph increments.

For those of us in areas like me, the speed limits here (or on main NYS routes, like NY 9, NY 17, etc) changes repeatedly, and by increments of 5, 10, 15 or 20 mph. I found my time in a 2022 Forester Wilderness to be really annoying with the +/- 1 mph increment changes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
That I can agree with.

People who are primarily highway drivers in non-Metro-NY would benefit from 1 mph increments.

For those of us in areas like me, the speed limits here (or on main NYS routes, like NY 9, NY 17, etc) changes repeatedly, and by increments of 5, 10, 15 or 20 mph. I found my time in a 2022 Forester Wilderness to be really annoying with the +/- 1 mph increment changes.
That's a good point. I prefer the 1mph increments with a tap, but where I live freeway speeds are basically assigned to the entire freeway/highway and don't change while driving (and then they do change, traffic doesn't care anyway).

And since these cars are basically computers on wheels, really shouldn't be hard to let us decide which version we prefer.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
And since these cars are basically computers on wheels, really shouldn't be hard to let us decide which version we prefer.
I plan on bugging them for a user settable option. Just like the faux shifting I detest, I know people like the fake shifting. So, I'd rather an option for this, (and of course, for that too), so that everyone can get what they want.

I am hoping, with all such things (not just those two examples), people DO ask, but that they remember to ask to make it driver settable. Like you said, there's no reason any of us should get what we want at the exclusion of others, for something that can be a simple setting in a computer.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
@zachavm Had the wrong guy. We were out for supper and I answered on the fly.

I did mis-speak. Thanks. I added an R 🙂
Our 2006 Passat had the 5 up and down. I can see the argument both ways. I'm happy to try it this way.

I completely agree it should be programmable for either.. Just like scrolling with the tuning knob for every menu function accessed. That's more an issue to me than the fake shifting.

The paddles do have a function in the mountains.. Really saves on the brakes. I pay no attention to it otherwise.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I plan on bugging them for a user settable option. Just like the faux shifting I detest, I know people like the fake shifting. So, I'd rather an option for this, (and of course, for that too), so that everyone can get what they want.

I am hoping, with all such things (not just those two examples), people DO ask, but that they remember to ask to make it driver settable. Like you said, there's no reason any of us should get what we want at the exclusion of others, for something that can be a simple setting in a computer.
Maybe I drive differently, but I have yet to notice fake shifts in my 2023 limited. I'm still in the break-in period and don't really get on the gas though either.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe I drive differently, but I have yet to notice fake shifts in my 2023 limited. I'm still in the break-in period and don't really get on the gas though either.
It'll be interesting to get more feedback from those who received their 2023's on how the CVT handle shifting. Or if anything else has changed from the previous years in general.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It'll be interesting to get more feedback from those who received their 2023's on how the CVT handle shifting. Or if anything else has changed from the previous years in general.
I seldom noticed any shift points in our 22...likely due to the amount of right foot input. Passing on two lane roads might be the most I was aware of it. Other than that we were never on the gas that much. The 23 is starting out exactly the same. My guess is the tranny set up is the same.

·
Super Moderator
3,846 Posts
The dastardly volume control does not take over the entire screen anymore.
^^this!
I want to buy a new one just for this! Maybe that’s why they won’t update the older ones… to make us buy the new one.
I’ll be at the dealership tomorrow for spark plugs. Curious if they’ll have any ‘23’s on the lot to check out. I may be “interested” enough to ask for a test drive!

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
That'll do it (and best thing to do, too). Once you've finished the 1,000 mile break in, if you feel like flooring it and reporting back, that'd be great. But, my understanding is that nothing has changed. The shifts might be smoother and less noticeable (watch the tachometer and see if it goes near redline and then jumps down 1,00 RPM and repeats) - but, from all I've been told, the shifts have not been removed.

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
934 Posts

Also long overdue (IMHO) is a reprogramming of the shift logic, especially in the 0-30 MPH range. It currently seems all too eager to reach a higher ratio, probably to meet the EPA MPG goals, but with slight throttle input, it downshifts to a lower than needed ratio, then back to a "too high" ratio. The result, as one member described it, is a "Bobble Head" reaction of the driver & passengers.

If Hyundai can offer a user selectable 3 mode shift logic (Normal, ECO, & Sport) in a vehicle at about 50% of the price of the Ascent, it seems that Subaru could also offer it.

·
Administrator
13,159 Posts
Also long overdue (IMHO) is a reprogramming of the shift logic, especially in the 0-30 MPH range. It currently seems all too eager to reach a higher ratio, probably to meet the EPA MPG goals, but with slight throttle input, it downshifts to a lower than needed ratio, then back to a "too high" ratio.
That can be done via the ECU, and the ECU programming has been updated for newer models. It can also be done by (expensive) COBB Accessport or (cheapest) foot placement.

From left to right: Smooth to jerkiest.

It's a small thing, and I am lucky enough my 2010 Outback got me back in the habit. But, when I drive it like I did my 1963 Chevy Biscayne that had a bottom hinged gas pedal (foot placed like the right most image), my Ascent responds really jerkily in the range you mention.

Organism Font Art Pattern Thigh

So, good news is, Subaru has adjusted the ECU programming to make it easier. Regardless, with foot placement like the left image, I've never driven a jerky Ascent or OBXT or OBW - and I've driven a number of them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm just under the 1000 mile break-in for my '22 Onyx & from day 1 have yet to experience any of these fake shifts others are experiencing. Acceleration has always been smooth & seamless from a stop or on the go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That'll do it (and best thing to do, too). Once you've finished the 1,000 mile break in, if you feel like flooring it and reporting back, that'd be great. But, my understanding is that nothing has changed. The shifts might be smoother and less noticeable (watch the tachometer and see if it goes near redline and then jumps down 1,00 RPM and repeats) - but, from all I've been told, the shifts have not been removed.
Since I'm very close to the 1000 mile break-in I will definitely floor it at times & report back.
Maybe I'll experience a fake shift for once. :LOL:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This morning, I set up driver profiles for us both and dialed in the facial recognition feature. Very cool, I think! Works slick! All driver settings set to the facial recognition profile. ie: 'Welcome Steve'... with a couple of race flag icons I picked out. It also picks up the driver's phone as the one to hook to. You can put in up to 5 profiles.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts