Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Yes. The paint is odd, and bothers me for reasons other than the paint itself (if it is indeed body paint).

I have a theory on the seat. While I was at the dealership purchasing mine, I happen to notice there was a sales guy that had kind of taken residence in the drivers seat of one of the tourings in between customers. I assume because it was kind of cold/windy outside. I only noticed because it struck me as a poor practice/ unprofessional. Could mine have received the same treatment? Idk. I could be completely wrong. Just an observation.

I’m tempted to take a little rubbing alcohol and see if I can gently wipe the paint off the steering wheel. But I’ll probably wait.

Yes, there is a “cargo light” but it is all but useless. I cannot, for the life of me rationalize Subaru not putting a good dome light in the cargo area of a mid size SUV. It’s asinine.
It is called cost cutting

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That's terrible. Have a 20 legacy and have issues with the leather seats. Excessive wrinkling and wear. The replaced the covers once(drivers and passengers) and it needs it again for tearing and excessive wear. I'm not a big person and I don't abuse my car. Opened up another case with SOA and then pretty much said tough luck. My wife just bought the new 23 Honda CR-V. Rock solid and I can not find any defects. It was made in Canada. The new Pilot looks interesting, it should be out in mid December . I would give it a look if your still interested. Subaru is usually really good in standing behind there products.
Yea. At this point I wish I’d bought a Pilot. I don’t have any faith in this car currently. In my experience, nuanced (but obvious) examples of poor quality like we are discussing here, are usually representative of poor quality in other (less obvious) places.

I don’t know what it takes to replace a lower seat cover on the Ascent. On some modern cars it’s not a super easy proposition.
The only experience I have with a dealership replacing a seat cover, they knocked a chunk of paint off the door jam when re-installing the seat into the car.

The thought of a dealership trying to fix seat covers, body molding, or a steering wheel on a brand new car, and it snowballing into more problems gives me chills.

· Registered
9 Posts
Through my experience with the seats I would let it go until it gets worse. You have 3/36 to bring the issue up. It is under wear and tear so an extended warranty through Subaru would not cover it. The other issue is sometimes it looks worse than the original unless a professional installs them. Look at the 23 Pilot which won't be out until Mid December . It's on a new chassis (same as the MDX). Also, if you feel like you have a lemon you could work with your dealer and Subaru for a buy back and get another Ascent.

· Registered
9 Posts
Yes. The paint is odd, and bothers me for reasons other than the paint itself (if it is indeed body paint).

I have a theory on the seat. While I was at the dealership purchasing mine, I happen to notice there was a sales guy that had kind of taken residence in the drivers seat of one of the tourings in between customers. I assume because it was kind of cold/windy outside. I only noticed because it struck me as a poor practice/ unprofessional. Could mine have received the same treatment? Idk. I could be completely wrong. Just an observation.

I’m tempted to take a little rubbing alcohol and see if I can gently wipe the paint off the steering wheel. But I’ll probably wait.

Yes, there is a “cargo light” but it is all but useless. I cannot, for the life of me rationalize Subaru not putting a good dome light in the cargo area of a mid size SUV. It’s asinine.
Since you have a dash rattle above the wheel I would just have them replace the wheel totally. That's a leather wrapped wheel so anything but mild soap a water could damage the leather or stain it.

· Registered
181 Posts
I'd be more concerned that there's sealant missing on those rocker panels. Looks like gaps in the sealant bead to me. In aviation, we call that the "Squeez out".

Here’s some of the things I mentioned in my OP. The blue paint on the steering wheel, the prematurely creased seat, and the grey adhesive sticking out of the rocker molding on both sides. The attention to detail and/or build quality on this thing is mediocre at best. the remorse is real.

View attachment 19042
View attachment 19044
View attachment 19043
View attachment 19041

View attachment 19040

· Registered
14 Posts
I need to grab some pictures, but we just picked up our '23 today and seem to have the same issue with gaps between the lower plastic trim and metal panels. Curious what the proper path forward is?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·

· Registered
14 Posts
That’s pretty much exactly like mine.
I can see the areas of grey tape/adhesive showing in your pics.
View attachment 19069
Yup.
Aesthetically it doesn’t bother me too much since it is so subtle.

Mechanically I am worried these gaps are going to hold water and rust out behind the trim piece. When we picked it up it had been raining and those gaps would bubble out with a small amount of water when you pressed on them.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Yup.
Aesthetically it doesn’t bother me too much since it is so subtle.

Mechanically I am worried these gaps are going to hold water and rust out behind the trim piece. When we picked it up it had been raining and those gaps would bubble out with a small amount of water when you pressed on them.
Yep. I think I mentioned the same concern earlier in the thread. Some dirt gets in there, starts to hold moisture, moisture sits against paint for extended periods, paint starts to bubble.

it’s either a bad design or poor install technique.

no bu

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
It's lack of attention to detail and now we've documented more than one instance.of it.
In a manufacturing setting, if the process requires an unobtainable level of “attention to detail” to produce the desired results (which is obviously the case in this scenario), then it is usually either a bad design or a bad technique (process).

Poka-yoke.

I have photos of three other 2023s with the same issue (but I’m not going to post them here). So five known cases from my personal perspective.

· Registered
388 Posts
Maybe it's just someone not doing their job. Maybe on more that one level. Worse. . It's possible someone signed off on it. Said they are all okay. Or, even worse it's within current standard. Take your pick. Bet you won't find this on a Korean car or a Toyota or even a Honda. Too much pride in the finished product.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Maybe it's just someone not doing their job. Maybe on more that one level. Worse. . It's possible someone signed off on it. Said they are all okay. Or, even worse it's within current standard. Take your pick. Bet you won't find this on a Korean car or a Toyota or even a Honda. Too much pride in the finished product.
I tend to agree with your last two sentences.
But the jokes on us I guess. Because here we are with Subarus.

· Registered
9 Posts
I have noticed on Outbacks especially the prior gen the roof rack molding would always buckle especially in heat. It really stood out and Subaru was trying to move the Outback upscale. People would get them replaced under warranty. It took the removal of the headliner to fix. Subaru's are great cars but I think why they are sometimes cheaper than other makes is the fit and finish is not up to par.

· Registered
1,375 Posts
Yea. At this point I wish I’d bought a Pilot. I don’t have any faith in this car currently. In my experience, nuanced (but obvious) examples of poor quality like we are discussing here, are usually representative of poor quality in other (less obvious) places.

I don’t know what it takes to replace a lower seat cover on the Ascent. On some modern cars it’s not a super easy proposition.
The only experience I have with a dealership replacing a seat cover, they knocked a chunk of paint off the door jam when re-installing the seat into the car.

The thought of a dealership trying to fix seat covers, body molding, or a steering wheel on a brand new car, and it snowballing into more problems gives me chills.
I had a lower seat cover replaced on our 2018 Outback and it cost $900 from the dealer. Honda front seats are no better than the ones in the Ascent. My brand new 2022 Ridgeline has the same type of crease in the driver's seat that you have on the Ascent.

· Registered
9 Posts
Small creases are ok its when the leather does not hold up within 2 years that it is an issue. There is documented cases over at the Outback forum for 20 and up. Folks with Napa leather don't seem to have issues like the regular limited trims

41 - 60 of 63 Posts