Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The rocker panel problem I checked and do not have same issue.
Is the top of the black trim on yours pulled up tight against the body? Or is there a credit card or so type gap? In my photos above, where you can see the grey adhesive, you can slide a credit card behind the molding. This seems like it’s going to fill up with dirt/mud/water etc.

I’m wondering if it’s supposed to be tight against the body, and that’s why I’m seeing the grey tape.

· Registered
17 Posts
Yes. The paint is odd, and bothers me for reasons other than the paint itself (if it is indeed body paint).

I have a theory on the seat. While I was at the dealership purchasing mine, I happen to notice there was a sales guy that had kind of taken residence in the drivers seat of one of the tourings in between customers. I assume because it was kind of cold/windy outside. I only noticed because it struck me as a poor practice/ unprofessional. Could mine have received the same treatment? Idk. I could be completely wrong. Just an observation.

I’m tempted to take a little rubbing alcohol and see if I can gently wipe the paint off the steering wheel. But I’ll probably wait.

Yes, there is a “cargo light” but it is all but useless. I cannot, for the life of me rationalize Subaru not putting a good dome light in the cargo area of a mid size SUV. It’s asinine.
Definitely agree with you on the light.
my Grandmothers Mercury Mountaineer has a dome light for the back seat and for the cargo area right over head and that’s nice.
I’ll be installing the subispeed cargo light I mentioned but swapping the “cargo light” to LED has actually made it not as bad lol. If you’re interested I could give you link or similar to the LED light I replaced it with and how. If you’d like a picture at night I could take as well. I also replaced all the door lights that illuminate the ground with same LEDs and they’re way better. I find it aggravating to purchase the “led upgrade” and all it is is the interior dome lights. I feel all other lights should be LED. Oh Well, I’ll do it myself haha.

· Registered
388 Posts
I'm unhappy to hear that quality on a new build is so poor. My 2020 rides the line. It won't change. My seat has the same crease, I bought the Ascent slightly used and just chalked it up to leather imperfections. If the seat is all the way down the front tilt won't tilt down. The rounded button higher up should work a lumbar support. Exterior paint in the interior is just plain sloppy. I don't know what to say about the trim. Should not have made it through final inspection. I hope you have sent SOA the photos!

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I'm unhappy to hear that quality on a new build is so poor. My 2020 rides the line. It won't change. My seat has the same crease, I bought the Ascent slightly used and just chalked it up to leather imperfections. If the seat is all the way down the front tilt won't tilt down. The rounded button higher up should work a lumbar support. Exterior paint in the interior is just plain sloppy. I don't know what to say about the trim. Should not have made it through final inspection. I hope you have sent SOA the photos!
I could be wrong, but I think that the eyesight or lane assist “changing” is a fallacy. I don’t think there is any logic in the system to back up that claim at all.

It has put me dangerously close to the highway dividing line more than once, and pretty much tried to put the tire on the edge of the left rumble strip on a 4 lane a few times. I had to turn it off in both instances.
Im not going to say it’s useless. It did work pretty well on some stretches. But it’s definitely not “dependable”.

Any chance you could send me a photo of the creases in your seat? If mine were confined to one “piece” of the material, I’d be more Inclined to chalk it up to material imperfections. However, the creases in mine cross a seam. I’d think that implies that they were causes after the seat was constructed. My concern is not so much the aesthetic, but premature cracking/splitting along those areas.

· Registered
388 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think that the eyesight or lane assist “changing” is a fallacy. I don’t think there is any logic in the system to back up that claim at all.

It has put me dangerously close to the highway dividing line more than once, and pretty much tried to put the tire on the edge of the left rumble strip on a 4 lane a few times. I had to turn it off in both instances.
Im not going to say it’s useless. It did work pretty well on some stretches. But it’s definitely not “dependable”.

Any chance you could send me a photo of the creases in your seat? If mine were confined to one “piece” of the material, I’d be more Inclined to chalk it up to material imperfections. However, the creases in mine cross a seam. I’d think that implies that they were causes after the seat was constructed. My concern is not so much the aesthetic, but premature cracking/splitting along those areas.
I've been able to smooth it out some by simply taking care not to scoot across that area when getting in. Nearing 40k miles now.

At least on the 2020 as far as i can tell, it's only following the center or left line. It will see the line on the right but won't react until as you say, appears to "be 6 inches" from the line.

I took apart a dash on a used car once for a rattle I know how annoying that can be!

Attachments

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I hope you get that stuff sorted. It all looks like stuff the dealer can easily take care of, except maybe that rattle. My 2019 Ascend had a rattle in the steering wheel if you had it in the lowest position. I had to tilt the wheel up slightly and it was good for the most part.

I'm looking closely at 2023s now that I have to replace my totalled 2019. There is a feature in the head unit that says "Select Drive on left/Drive on Right". I'm not 100% sure what that does, but it might help with the lane centering.

As far as the cargo light, I'd go with the Forester light over the Subiespeed one since it's a factory part and reportedly fits right in there. You'd still have to wire it up just like the Subiespeed.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,490 Posts
Yes. The paint is odd, and bothers me for reasons other than the paint itself (if it is indeed body paint).

I have a theory on the seat. While I was at the dealership purchasing mine, I happen to notice there was a sales guy that had kind of taken residence in the drivers seat of one of the tourings in between customers. I assume because it was kind of cold/windy outside. I only noticed because it struck me as a poor practice/ unprofessional. Could mine have received the same treatment? Idk. I could be completely wrong. Just an observation.

I’m tempted to take a little rubbing alcohol and see if I can gently wipe the paint off the steering wheel. But I’ll probably wait.

Yes, there is a “cargo light” but it is all but useless. I cannot, for the life of me rationalize Subaru not putting a good dome light in the cargo area of a mid size SUV. It’s asinine.
the cargo light issue certainly should be addressed by Subaru design team, but there is a very easy inexpensive fix that would probably be better then what Subaru comes up with. Diode dynamics has great easy to install LED strip lighting for about $20. I installed it on my 2019 and already ordered another for my 2023 for next week when that vehicle arrives. It takes ten minutes to install wired right into the standard cargo switch. I am always in the cargo area multiple times a day while in the dark so goo dlighting was important to me. I changed out all the bulbs with DD LEDs and installed the cargo strip as well.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
the cargo light issue certainly should be addressed by Subaru design team, but there is a very easy inexpensive fix that would probably be better then what Subaru comes up with. Diode dynamics has great easy to install LED strip lighting for about $20. I installed it on my 2019 and already ordered another for my 2023 for next week when that vehicle arrives. It takes ten minutes to install wired right into the standard cargo switch. I am always in the cargo area multiple times a day while in the dark so goo dlighting was important to me. I changed out all the bulbs with DD LEDs and installed the cargo strip as well.
Yea. I’m not putting aftermarket lighting/wiring in it. Having a non-OE strip light stuck to the ceiling of a new car would bug me worse than having no light at all, ha. To each their own.

I’ll stick the brightest possible bulb in the silly factory location, and add the forester hatch light at some point.

· Registered
5,490 Posts
Yea. I’m not putting aftermarket lighting/wiring in it. Having a non-OE strip light stuck to the ceiling of a new car would bug me worse than having no light at all, ha. To each their own.

I’ll stick the brightest possible bulb in the silly factory location, and add the forester hatch light at some point.
no strips of wires hanging anywhere. narrow slim strip tucked behind all trim so it does not hang down or intrude to space. pealable adhesive strip that was part of product has worked great.

· Registered
367 Posts
This is in case you end up somewhere where they do indeed drive on the left side of the road!
I either read on here or saw a video about that option. If you choose 'drive on right' and typically drive in the right lane on freeways the system is better at recognizing exit lanes as actual exits and won't try to follow them to the right. Same goes for the 'left lane' option if you drive in the left lane.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
I either read on here or saw a video about that option. If you choose 'drive on right' and typically drive in the right lane on freeways the system is better at recognizing exit lanes as actual exits and won't try to follow them to the right. Same goes for the 'left lane' option if you drive in the left lane.
That's what this video says at 1:40

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Thats interesting.
I definitely had it freak out once or twice when I was in the left lane and passed a break (cut through) in the median.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
no strips of wires hanging anywhere. narrow slim strip tucked behind all trim so it does not hang down or intrude to space. pealable adhesive strip that was part of product has worked great.

I saw your post a few days ago. Looks like it works well, and if you like it, that’s all that matters. And I appreciate the suggestion.

Personally, I wouldn’t be ok with a wire protruding from the trim or a strip like stuck to the molding in my new car. But it’s just my take. Everyone is different.

The forester light (or maybe the subispeed) looks like it will be the best option for me.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
@SS24 Does your ivory interior include ivory colored padded 'leather' above the glovebox, or is it black? The Subaru website shows it as black when Ivory interior is selected, but the video of a 2023 I've seen shows it as Ivory. Just curious... I'd prefer if it was Ivory to match the seats.
Yes. The ivory is accented on the dash. And I think it ties it together well.

Broadly speaking, the interior Aesthetics are pretty well done. We’ll see how the ivory holds up to a 4 year old though 😳.

· Registered
1,181 Posts
Yes. The ivory is accented on the dash. And I think it ties it together well.

Broadly speaking, the interior Aesthetics are pretty well done. We’ll see how the ivory holds up to a 4 year old though 😳.
My Ivory interior still looked great after 4+ years, but that's with a girl at 6-10 years old. I'd stay on top of it with 303 cleaner or leather soap when needed. The driver's seat once got a little blue jean dye transfer, but I stopped using those pants a long time ago. I've gotten mud on the seats and muddy dog prints as well. They all cleaned up with 303.

One thing I was going to fix before my car got wrecked was a small tear that was developing on the side of the driver's seat where it comes into contact with the plastic trim, kind of above the seat controls in the corner where the plastic begins to angle up. The tear was about a cm long but wasn't spreading as far as I knew.

· Registered
5,490 Posts
@SS24 Does your ivory interior include ivory colored padded 'leather' above the glovebox, or is it black? The Subaru website shows it as black when Ivory interior is selected, but the video of a 2023 I've seen shows it as Ivory. Just curious... I'd prefer if it was Ivory to match the seats.
my 2019 limited had ivory all around.

· Registered
9 Posts
Took ownership of a new 2023 Cosmic Blue Limited yesterday. This will be my wife's daily.
Ivory interior, no tech package. She has been in a 2015 Outback since we bought it new.
Overall I like the car. It seems to drive quite well, and while the boxer groan is still pretty present, it's considerably quieter than the Outback. It's nicely styled too. The interior is pretty well laid out, and even hints a little at "luxury" with the ivory color. I'm 6'6" and drive it very comfortably.

However, I've already found some quirks that are not sitting well. Some of which I should have noticed before purchase.

• The rear hatch motor is embarrassingly loud. Like, don't want to open it when showing a friend the new car loud.
  • No cargo dome light is absolutely ridiculous (I didn't notice this until I got home and it was dark)
  • There's a pronounced rattle in the dash above the steering wheel that showed up about 50 miles from the dealership.
  • The rocker panel molding has several spots where you can see the adhesive on top. Almost as if it's pulling away from the body. This really sucks.
  • The outer bolster on the drivers seat is already starting to show some obvious creasing, as if you've been getting in and out of it for a couple of years. Not sure what to make of this, and not sure how I over looked it at the dealership. Every car me and my wife have owned/own is leather, and I don't ever remember big creases like this when "new".
  • On several roads during the drive home from the dealership (about 120 miles) the eyesight was putting me WAY to far to the drivers side of the lane I was in. like 6" from drivers tires being on the line. Not sure what this is about.
  • On the drive home, mostly 60-70 mph highway driving, the computer barely averaged 18mpg. This better get a LOT better after "break in".
  • I cannot figure out what one of the two lumbar adjustments does. One is obvious, and the other I can't feel anything when I try to adjust. I'm hoping it's just a very nuanced adjustment and not a malfunction.
  • There is a blob of “complimentary” cosmic blue paint on the steering wheel I just noticed. Awesome. It won’t come off with any non-aggressive means.

Right now, I've definitely got a little buyers remorse. We were looking at Pilots and Highlanders too, and I'm not 100% sure that the Highlanders wouldn't have been the better choice.

View attachment 19031
That's terrible. Have a 20 legacy and have issues with the leather seats. Excessive wrinkling and wear. The replaced the covers once(drivers and passengers) and it needs it again for tearing and excessive wear. I'm not a big person and I don't abuse my car. Opened up another case with SOA and then pretty much said tough luck. My wife just bought the new 23 Honda CR-V. Rock solid and I can not find any defects. It was made in Canada. The new Pilot looks interesting, it should be out in mid December . I would give it a look if your still interested. Subaru is usually really good in standing behind there products.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts