Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took ownership of a new 2023 Cosmic Blue Limited yesterday. This will be my wife's daily.
Ivory interior, no tech package. She has been in a 2015 Outback since we bought it new.
Overall I like the car. It seems to drive quite well, and while the boxer groan is still pretty present, it's considerably quieter than the Outback. It's nicely styled too. The interior is pretty well laid out, and even hints a little at "luxury" with the ivory color. I'm 6'6" and drive it very comfortably.

However, I've already found some quirks that are not sitting well. Some of which I should have noticed before purchase.

• The rear hatch motor is embarrassingly loud. Like, don't want to open it when showing a friend the new car loud.
  • No cargo dome light is absolutely ridiculous (I didn't notice this until I got home and it was dark)
  • There's a pronounced rattle in the dash above the steering wheel that showed up about 50 miles from the dealership.
  • The rocker panel molding has several spots where you can see the adhesive on top. Almost as if it's pulling away from the body. This really sucks.
  • The outer bolster on the drivers seat is already starting to show some obvious creasing, as if you've been getting in and out of it for a couple of years. Not sure what to make of this, and not sure how I over looked it at the dealership. Every car me and my wife have owned/own is leather, and I don't ever remember big creases like this when "new".
  • On several roads during the drive home from the dealership (about 120 miles) the eyesight was putting me WAY to far to the drivers side of the lane I was in. like 6" from drivers tires being on the line. Not sure what this is about.
  • On the drive home, mostly 60-70 mph highway driving, the computer barely averaged 18mpg. This better get a LOT better after "break in".
  • I cannot figure out what one of the two lumbar adjustments does. One is obvious, and the other I can't feel anything when I try to adjust. I'm hoping it's just a very nuanced adjustment and not a malfunction.
  • There is a blob of “complimentary” cosmic blue paint on the steering wheel I just noticed. Awesome. It won’t come off with any non-aggressive means.

Right now, I've definitely got a little buyers remorse. We were looking at Pilots and Highlanders too, and I'm not 100% sure that the Highlanders wouldn't have been the better choice.

Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
388 Posts
FYI, I had the issue of the lane centering putting me to the side of the lane when I first got my Forester. I know it does that more commonly in heavy winds. Not sure why. However, I have not noticed it being much of an issue long term. I've learned to trust it pretty well if I'm on a normal and mostly straight highway. For construction I turn it off. Also, it will tend to turn off on tighter turns.

Note, we have an Ascent on order. I was considering other vehicles like the Highlander too, but no one could touch the VIP Pricing for a Subaru. Most all the others are still charging market adjustment fees on top of MSRP. Meanwhile, the Ascent is already a better MSRP value and our out the door price will be over $3K bellow MSRP. Pretty hard to justify choosing something else at that point. I actually emailed a Toyota Salesman we worked with asking if he could be competitive with it at all. He didn't even respond.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FYI, I had the issue of the lane centering putting me to the side of the lane when I first got my Forester. I know it does that more commonly in heavy winds. Not sure why. However, I have not noticed it being much of an issue long term. I've learned to trust it pretty well if I'm on a normal and mostly straight highway. For construction I turn it off. Also, it will tend to turn off on tighter turns.

Note, we have an Ascent on order. I was considering other vehicles like the Highlander too, but no one could touch the VIP Pricing for a Subaru. Most all the others are still charging market adjustment fees on top of MSRP. Meanwhile, the Ascent is already a better MSRP value and our out the door price will be over $3K bellow MSRP. Pretty hard to justify choosing something else at that point. I actually emailed a Toyota Salesman we worked with asking if he could be competitive with it at all. He didn't even respond.
I talked to the dealership about the left side of the lane thing. I was told, “give it time, it will adapt”.

I’m not sure I buy that. I don’t think there is any logic in the system that will actually alter the way it behaves over time.
We’ll see.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I talked to the dealership about the left side of the lane thing. I was told, “give it time, it will adapt”.

I’m not sure I buy that. I don’t think there is any logic in the system that will actually alter the way it behaves over time.
We’ll see.
I wouldn't bet my first born on what I am about to say, but he may be right. I definitely noticed that the car seemed to learn for the first few thousand miles. For example, Eyesight/ACC would have a real issue on a certain section of roadway. And then after a few times, it didn't. Honestly, I think they spend a while learning and get smarter as they go. Just me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here’s some of the things I mentioned in my OP. The blue paint on the steering wheel, the prematurely creased seat, and the grey adhesive sticking out of the rocker molding on both sides. The attention to detail and/or build quality on this thing is mediocre at best. the remorse is real.

Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Tints and shades Personal computer Rectangle

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Car Tread

Cloud Automotive lighting Hood Sky Automotive design

Netbook Hood Computer Output device Personal computer

Car Motor vehicle Steering part Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,440 Posts
Here’s some of the things I mentioned in my OP. The blue paint on the steering wheel, the prematurely creased seat, and the grey adhesive sticking out of the rocker molding on both sides. The attention to detail and/or build quality on this thing is mediocre at best. the remorse is real.

View attachment 19042
View attachment 19044
View attachment 19043
View attachment 19041

View attachment 19040
they are warranty issues for the dealer to address through Subaru.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here’s some of the things I mentioned in my OP. The blue paint on the steering wheel, the prematurely creased seat, and the grey adhesive sticking out of the rocker molding on both sides. The attention to detail and/or build quality on this thing is mediocre at best. the remorse is real. View attachment 19042 View attachment 19044 View attachment 19043 View attachment 19041 View attachment 19040
Yikes that blue paint looks like a red flag. I’ll definitely look for details like these before I give the dealership my 50k. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
they are warranty issues for the dealer to address through Subaru.
Well sure. Or at least you’d hope. But even if they are, noticing multiple “warranty” issues on a day old car doesn’t exactly bolster my confidence in the car itself.

Unfortunately, I’ll drive over two hours to the dealership, leave the car with them, then go back at some point. So nearly 9 hours of driving. So you can see why it’s disappointing.

Sadly, I had a good friend that lives near the dealership go up and look at the molding on few other Ascents this afternoon. He looked at two tourings and another limited, and all three had the grey adhesive showing to some degree on both sides. Really Subaru?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yikes that blue paint looks like a red flag. I’ll definitely look for details like these before I give the dealership my 50k. Thanks for the post.
I usually catch stuff like this beforehand. Not sure why I missed these. Are any of these things terrible in their own right? Maybe not. But cumulatively, they make my red flags go up big time.

Ive never purchased a car and immediately regretted it before, but I guess there’s a first time for everything.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
When I brought the creases in the seat up during the phone call today, the initial response from the dealership is “well leather is just going to have character”. 🤦‍♂️
Put in a claim through SOA and complain that the dealer is not taking you seriously.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Well sure. Or at least you’d hope. But even if they are, noticing multiple “warranty” issues on a day old car doesn’t exactly bolster my confidence in the car itself.

Unfortunately, I’ll drive over two hours to the dealership, leave the car with them, then go back at some point. So nearly 9 hours of driving. So you can see why it’s disappointing.

Sadly, I had a good friend that lives near the dealership go up and look at the molding on few other Ascents this afternoon. He looked at two tourings and another limited, and all three had the grey adhesive showing to some degree on both sides. Really Subaru?
good to know. My limited is due to be devliverd on the 28th but I can only pick it oup on 12/3 so i plan on emailing my sales guy to assure he personally inspects and corrects where warranted these types of of items prior to my pickup.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Sorry to see the obvious defects on your new Ascent. All of the issues ought to be addressed by the dealer to your satisfaction. The seat should certainly be replaced. The paint on the steering wheel would bother me the most due to the fact the vehicle is painted before the steering wheel is installed. Where did the paint come from? Did the vehicle need a touch-up repair before delivery?

I love the color of your beautiful Ascent. Subaru will come to the rescue if you find no satisfaction from your dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey I got delivery of my 23 Onyx Edition Limited 2 weeks ago.
The MPGs, mine have not gotten much better. I’m averaging 17, but I do a lot of short drives and with me living in Midwest and it’s been cold car has has a lot of idle time for warmup. Again I’ve read the MPGs do get better. Next month I’m taking a trip to Houston from Iowa and back so we will see.
I have the Startex seats and love them so the creasing in the seat definitely sucks, mine I absolutely love and have had no issues.
The paint on the wheel is a problem I would bring up, that’s ridiculous.
The rocker panel problem I checked and do not have same issue.
Eyesight , I’ve had pretty good experience with it, and have only had issue with it on very tight roads or very strong cross winds with it being too close one way or another otherwise no complaints. I’ve never had a vehicle do that so I don’t care to use it or not but the highways runs I do it seems nice.
My rear hatch motor sound I guess is noticeable but I’m just stoked to have it open and close by itself lol so I don’t think it’s that loud to where I wouldn’t want to show someone.
There is a cargo light on driver side that you can turn on, I’ve switched mine to an LED and it’s much better. Otherwise you can buy an LED light that snaps into thecenter inside of the hatch, there’s a plastic trim piece there, it can be removed and an LED light installed, using factory harness I’ll look and include link.
I have not done this yet but will be eventually.
I have had no dash noises or anything, my only issues I’ve had are
1.) If you don’t put your seatbelt on, and you start driving then come to a stop and put vehicle in park, the seatbelt alarm does not stop.
My instance is driving 4 houses down to the in laws and it going crazy lol.
2.) My ascent from dealer had very high oil level, I’ve seen others with this problem, the dealer said they would drain some but when I showed up they told me 90 minutes and i told them I’ll pass. Instead I did an oil change for the hell of it, and installed a Fumoto oil drain valve as I’ll be doing my own oil changes. If anyone’s interested in that , F108S fumoto drain valve on Amazon.
otherwise for the most part I’ve enjoyed the Ascent but I won’t lie, the first few days I definitely considered waiting for the Honda Pilot as I have a 17 Honda Accord and love.
but nonetheless I’m happy with my Ascent and the kids love it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The MPGs, mine have not gotten much better. I’m averaging 17, but I do a lot of short drives and with me living in Midwest and it’s been cold car has has a lot of idle time for warmup. Again I’ve read the MPGs do get better. Next month I’m taking a trip to Houston from Iowa and back so we will see.
I have the Startex seats and love them so the creasing in the seat definitely sucks, mine I absolutely love and have had no issues.
Eyesight , I’ve had pretty good experience with it, and have only had issue with it on very tight roads or very strong cross winds with it being too close one way or another otherwise no complaints. I’ve never had a vehicle do that so I don’t care to use it or not but the highways runs I do it seems nice.
My rear hatch motor sound I guess is noticeable but I’m just stoked to have it open and close by itself lol so I don’t think it’s that loud to where I wouldn’t want to show someone.
There is a cargo light on driver side that you can turn on, I’ve switched mine to an LED and it’s much better. Otherwise you can buy an LED light that snaps into thecenter inside of the hatch, there’s a plastic trim piece there, it can be removed and an LED light installed, using factory harness I’ll look and include link.
1.) If you don’t put your seatbelt on, and you start driving then come to a stop and put vehicle in park, the seatbelt alarm does not stop.
2.) My ascent from dealer had very high oil level, I’ve seen others with this problem, the dealer said they would drain some but when I showed up they told me 90 minutes and i told them I’ll pass. Instead I did an oil change for the hell of it, and installed a Fumoto oil drain valve as I’ll be doing my own oil changes. If anyone’s interested in that , F108S fumoto drain valve on Amazon.
otherwise for the most part I’ve enjoyed the Ascent but I won’t lie, the first few days I definitely considered waiting for the Honda Pilot as I have a 17 Honda Accord and love.
Yes. The paint is odd, and bothers me for reasons other than the paint itself (if it is indeed body paint).

I have a theory on the seat. While I was at the dealership purchasing mine, I happen to notice there was a sales guy that had kind of taken residence in the drivers seat of one of the tourings in between customers. I assume because it was kind of cold/windy outside. I only noticed because it struck me as a poor practice/ unprofessional. Could mine have received the same treatment? Idk. I could be completely wrong. Just an observation.

I’m tempted to take a little rubbing alcohol and see if I can gently wipe the paint off the steering wheel. But I’ll probably wait.

Yes, there is a “cargo light” but it is all but useless. I cannot, for the life of me rationalize Subaru not putting a good dome light in the cargo area of a mid size SUV. It’s asinine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My limited is due to be devliverd on the 28th but I can only pick it oup on 12/3
Are you sure that is Kosher with your dealer? Our purchase agreement was pretty clear that we needed to pick up by EOM.

On the main topic though: We are going to pick up our limited tomorrow morning (yay for truck arriving the evening before Thanksgiving!) and will definitely keep a sharp eye for these...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The MPGs, mine have not gotten much better. I’m averaging 17, but I do a lot of short drives and with me living in Midwest and it’s been cold car has has a lot of idle time for warmup. Again I’ve read the MPGs do get better.
It sure as heck better get better.
18 while doing 65mph on cruise control is laughable. My full size, V8, 4x4, 4-door pickup will pretty much do that.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Are you sure that is Kosher with your dealer? Our purchase agreement was pretty clear that we needed to pick up by EOM.

On the main topic though: We are going to pick up our limited tomorrow morning (yay for truck arriving the evening before Thanksgiving!) and will definitely keep a sharp eye for these...
the dealer and I wrote up an agreement to address the pcikup date. they offered to deal with this digitally at time of arrival but I will be in a very remote location without internet access.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts