Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to order a 2023 Ascent as our first Subaru for our growing family. I've been disappointed in my two local dealerships as I've begun this search. One of them pays no attention to customers and doesn't care for customers who want factory orders, and the other said they do not place factory orders at all, they add a third party alarm system that you have to pay for, and they are also trying to mark up cars on the lot (even today).

Is this typical? Does anyone have recommendations for dealerships in Southern California (or as close to as possible) who will happily place factory orders, not force third party options, and not mark up the sticker price over MSRP (the market has significantly slowed down)?

That said, does anyone know when 2023 orders are able to start being placed?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to order a 2023 Ascent as our first Subaru for our growing family. I've been disappointed in my two local dealerships as I've begun this search. One of them pays no attention to customers and doesn't care for customers who want factory orders, and the other said they do not place factory orders at all, they add a third party alarm system that you have to pay for, and they are also trying to mark up cars on the lot (even today).

Is this typical? Does anyone have recommendations for dealerships in Southern California (or as close to as possible) who will happily place factory orders, not force third party options, and not mark up the sticker price over MSRP (the market has significantly slowed down)?

Thanks in advance!
My wife was at the dealer the yesterday for service, our sales rep told her to call in two weeks for the 2023s.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I can't help with the dealership question for S. Cal, but as for ordering dates... The current belief is that today (August 5th) is possibly the last day you can put in an order for a 2022 and then 2 to 3 weeks from today (or whenever they stop taking orders for the 2022) they'll open up orders for the 2023's.

Keep checking back on this forum for updates on the ordering info. There's several of us who are excited and eager to put in an order the minute they become available, that info will be posted here for sure. :)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,632 Posts
and the other said they do not place factory orders at all,
They'll be out of business in this market after a bit of time if they didn't do customer Factory Orders, IMHO. Sheesh. They make the same amount of money or more for a factory order and still have whatever is actually on the lot to sell to someone else. That said, a required third party "anything" would have me walking out the door. So would a "market adjustment" to the price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They'll be out of business in this market after a bit of time if they didn't do customer Factory Orders, IMHO. Sheesh. They make the same amount of money or more for a factory order and still have whatever is actually on the lot to sell to someone else. That said, a required third party "anything" would have me walking out the door. So would a "market adjustment" to the price.
Exactly my thoughts…I refuse to do business with them out of principle. I understand trying to sell what’s on the lot first, but if someone wants a factory order, why would you refuse? Strange business practice.

Keep in mind this is the same dealership who tried pushing a ‘22 on me after I told them multiple times I wanted a ‘23. They said “the cars are flying off the lot and won’t last more than a few days.” Funny enough they called me multiple times over a span of 2-3 weeks trying to sell me those same ‘22s that were still sitting on their lot.

·
Registered
2022 Brilliant Bronze Metallic Ascent LTD
8 Posts
Does anyone have recommendations for dealerships in Southern California (or as close to as possible) who will happily place factory orders, not force third party options, and not mark up the sticker price over MSRP (the market has significantly slowed down)?
We experienced the same thing with most of the dealerships in SoCal. I especially disliked how they told us even if you order, you must have the dealer crap installed. With some patience we found a dealership willing to work with us, Sherman Oaks Subaru on Van Nuys Blvd. They accept Subaru VIP pricing (invoice pricing if you donate to one of Subaru's charity partners) on both orders and on what they have on the lot. My family bought a 2022 Ascent Limited two months ago from their stock and my sister ordered a 2022 Forester Wilderness (ordered about 9 weeks ago and delivered 3 weeks ago). If you finance through your credit union, there is a Co-Op branch a couple of blocks down the street too.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
4,652 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
I would suggest contacting SOA and asking which dealers in your area participate in the VIP program. Use that dealer for the order. You do not need to service the vehicle with that dealer. If that dealer says they do not do factory orders but participate in VIP program then relay that information to SOA who should be able to straighten the dealer out. If the other dealer who likes to tack on their third party options participates but refuses to remove the option then talk with SOA and they while not formally having control over the dealer will have a conversation with them.

try this resource for dealerships in your area.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
I would suggest conting SOA and asking which dealers in your area participate in the VIP program. Use that dealer for the order. You do not need to service the vehicle with that dealer. If that dealer says they do not do factory orders but participate in VIP program then relay that information to SOA who should be able to straighten the dealer out. If the other dealer who likes to tack on their third party options participates but refuses to remove the option then talk with SOA and they w2hile not formally having control over the dealer will have a conversation with them.

try this resource for dealerships in your area.
SoA cannot make a dealer participate in the program which is why so many are choosing to not do so at the present time. The dealer add-ons are a similar situation. Dealers are independent businesses and can have whatever selling policies and prices they way. What CAN be done is to just not buy from those dealers. Travel a little farther if need be to make the purchase. It can be serviced at any Subaru dealership for warranty coverage you want after it's yours.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
SoA cannot make a dealer participate in the program which is why so many are choosing to not do so at the present time. The dealer add-ons are a similar situation. Dealers are independent businesses and can have whatever selling policies and prices they way. What CAN be done is to just not buy from those dealers. Travel a little farther if need be to make the purchase. It can be serviced at any Subaru dealership for warranty coverage you want after it's yours.
I noted that the dealers are independent, but Subaru DOES have leverage if they choose to use. If the dealer participates in the VIP program they must be willing to factory order.

If a dealer participates in the VIP program but tacks on all sorts of extras as mandatory, I do not think SOA will take kindly to it and it will be noted by them. they may or may not at that point twist some arms.

I agree that making the calls to other dealers is important, especially since dealer fees has yet to be brought up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
Hey there,
I’m currently in the last month of my 2020 Ascent lease and waiting on my dealer to call me into order the 2023 Ascent! It’s really Subaru waiting until all their remaining 2022 Ascent from the dealers inventory get sold off before they send them the new ones! The prices are high and everyone knows the new ones are going to be cheaper once they get released!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure where you are at but I called around a lot recently in Socal and can share what I found.

Irvine - vip honored on orders only
Glendale - vip on orders only
Sherman Oaks - vip on orders only
Thousand Oaks - vip on stock and orders
Ventura - no vip at all
Valencia - vip on orders and stock

We are currently buying from Valencia and waiting for ours to arrive this month. Thus far they have been wonderful to work with. I also had a really wonderful experience at thousand oaks but they didn't have a stock, inbound, or alocation that I wanted and Valencia did and wanted to offer more for my trade ultimately. PM if you want names of seemingly quality folks to talk to.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Hey there,
I’m currently in the last month of my 2020 Ascent lease and waiting on my dealer to call me into order the 2023 Ascent! It’s really Subaru waiting until all their remaining 2022 Ascent from the dealers inventory get sold off before they send them the new ones! The prices are high and everyone knows the new ones are going to be cheaper once they get released!
Dealerships do not have any 2022 inventory. They only have some outstanding 2022 factory orders that are tied to specific customers.

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
It’s really Subaru waiting until all their remaining 2022 Ascent from the dealers inventory get sold off before they send them the new ones!
That is not really an accurate statement, especially in the present market. There is almost no inventory at dealers compared to "past normal'. They will start producing the MY23 orders right after the MY22 orders are exhausted.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring / 2020 Forester Touring
820 Posts
Dealerships do not have any 2022 inventory. They only have some outstanding 2022 factory orders that are tied to specific customers.
almost every dealer in my erea still have "inventory" pending in transit (NOT tied to specific customers) and some have car (just 1 per model) on the lot
Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
5,632 Posts
almost every dealer in my erea still have "inventory" pending in transit (NOT tied to specific customers) and some have car (just 1 per model) on the lot
True, but it's likely those in-transit vehicle are or will be sold before they arrive at the dealer. It's tough out there...

Reactions: denissh

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone has idea on if the trim level is tied to the lead time of a factory order? Say, will Subaru prioritize production over higher trim levels than lower ones? Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts