Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
934 Posts
Thank you. Let me check the oil level at 0 mile upon taking delivery, and see how it change over time.
It's not unusual for GDI engines to "make oil", especially if driven mostly for short trips. Good idea to keep an eye (and nose, to detect fuel smell) on it. If it seems excessive and there is a strong smell of fuel, have the dealer check it out. Fuel is not a good lubricant!

·
Registered
934 Posts
I just picked up my 23 Onyx Limited, Will check it when I can and report back. I have noticed the newer 4 cylinders especially to A.) Increase some in oil level due to fuel or B.) Losing oil level due to burning oil ever so slightly. This is due to the piston rings not being as tight allowing better gas mileage due to less friction.
Condition "A" can occur if the car is seldom driven at highway speeds for an extended time. Cold start-ups, short trips, and extended idling can cause unburned fuel to collect in the crankcase, more so with GDI engines. When the engine is driven for a distance fully heated up, as in a road trip, the excess fuel is evaporated out of the system. At least that's what I've read. Whenever I check the oil level on the dipstick, I hold it up to my nose and give it a good whiff to detect any fuel smell, and mentally record where the level is on the dipstick, compared to the last check.

I'm not sure about ""B" and the rings having looser tolerances, but It's pretty well conceded that low viscosity oils, such as our 0W20 are for less friction.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Good information and point on A.) I Made. I’d agree.
I’ve built engines, the performance engines we do a tighter gap, for regular vehicles we do not. It is due to what I previously said. If you don’t agree you don’t have to 👍🏼
It's been a few years since I built an engine, do you mean "performance engines we do a tighter gap" do you mean a tighter ring end gap? I've always thought that performance/race engines were built with looser tolerances for less friction. When I rebuilt my Avanti R2 engine I had to order Ross forged pistons (60 over, due to cyl wear) I forget the piston to cyl spec, but it was very loose to account for thermal expansion. A bit clacky until they warm up.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've got a Touring on order and was curious as to the brand and model tire they come with?
Probably stilll the Falken Ziex (SP?). Not a great tire, I replaced them with Michelin Cross Climate 2 at 800 miles. It's sad that they supply a substandard OEM tire on a $50K car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts