Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed the 2022 models are available to build & price on SOA site. New color option for this year Autumn Green Metallic. It looks pretty sweet with the Onyx Trim, and I'm interested in the part numbers for the black trim to retrofit my 2019 Touring, though I'm still miffed as to why Subaru didn't blackout the tailgate trim and rear bumper cover

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Just noticed the 2022 models are available to build & price on SOA site. New color option for this year Autumn Green Metallic. It looks pretty sweet with the Onyx Trim, and I'm interested in the part numbers for the black trim to retrofit my 2019 Touring, though I'm still miffed as to why Subaru didn't blackout the tailgate trim and rear bumper cover
View attachment 13158
If I were to guess, it's because the luminosity of the reverse lights and turn signal lights, as well as the illuminated lens area, is defined in FMVSS 108. So, blackout lenses would require larger (more powerful) bulbs.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,022 Posts
I'd personally like to see some different wheel choices. I had hoped that MY22, their fourth year of production, might include some style updates like that.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,022 Posts
It also looks like Touring might no longer have the Rain sensing wipers? It has the same dot on the "Two-speed wipers" that the other trims have. And Onyx has the same Smart rearview mirror that Touring has -- that's nice. And the Limited says on the website that it adds to the Premium's features a power rear gate. But the trim comparison page shows that all trims have the power rear gate.

Maybe they're still refining the data on the live website.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If I were to guess, it's because the luminosity of the reverse lights and turn signal lights, as well as the illuminated lens area, is defined in FMVSS 108. So, blackout lenses would require larger (more powerful) bulbs.
I'm not so much interested in the reflectors and tail lights themselves being tinted/blacked out as removing the chrome strip from the tailgate. Most other models have either a body color blacked out rear. Subaru removed the chrome externally from all the surfaces but this one, and while the adjustment to "black chrome" is a welcome one I still don't understand not going black as with the grill trim or body color with only the emblem being left trimmed in Chrome

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
I'm not so much interested in the reflectors and tail lights themselves being tinted/blacked out as removing the chrome strip from the tailgate. Most other models have either a body color blacked out rear. Subaru removed the chrome externally from all the surfaces but this one, and while the adjustment to "black chrome" is a welcome one I still don't understand not going black as with the grill trim or body color with only the emblem being left trimmed in Chrome
View attachment 13161 View attachment 13162
I'd think they could make a new chrome piece that tapers off "properly" and is otherwise black. The problem is, unlike the Foz Sport, our reflectors/lights are in direct line with the chrome, instead of below it.

But, another area I think they can improve on the Ascent, are the dead reflectors on the liftgate. I think they should glow like on the Foz and new Outbacks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That Onyx is 🔥 🔥 🔥
But only 7 seats. :( Really disappointed with that! Won't be able to get one and will be left with the Limited. Money I'm going to spend blacking out the Limited could have gone to Subaru. I think they are losing out here.

·
Administrator
10,446 Posts
Does the 22 have the updated eyesight. If not maybe it is on the forester
As of now, the Subaru website shows no Eyesight-X on any 2022 currently listed. There's also currently no training material in STIS for Eyesight-X. The 2022 Eyesight manuals for the Forester are not yet available, but, I am keeping an eye out for their release.

·
Registered
158 Posts
WHOA!!! They did not announce the new color when they announced the 2022. That is pretty crazy. New colors are typically reserved for redesign years. To not even mention it at all seems strange. So glad they finally have a green option though. They Autumn Green is BEAUTIFUL!!! Forester is moving to that for 2022 as well.

·
Registered
932 Posts
But only 7 seats. :( Really disappointed with that! Won't be able to get one and will be left with the Limited. Money I'm going to spend blacking out the Limited could have gone to Subaru. I think they are losing out here.
I get what you mean. I go back and forth about the 7. I’m a fan of seating I might need so if I had a choice I would get the bench seat but I think I would be okay with the Captain Chairs like 99% of the time. We are a family of 4, the kids would have a little space and a lot more cargo room.

Really have to think about this one. Was also considering getting the OB Wilderness trim. Have to talk to the Mrs and find out what she wants to do.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5, 2021 Ascent Premium on the way
242 Posts
Maybe they're still refining the data on the live website.

For sure they missed a few things in QC. For the Premium it looks like the comparison page is wrong, the PRG package is still an extra option when you build one. Though they did take away moonroof and 20" wheels as a premium option. I guess they were not that popular, which probably also explains why it's taking my Premium forever to be built.

And for some reason I thought Onyx only came in black. I'm really digging the looks of a Crimson Red Pearl Onyx!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I get what you mean. I go back and forth about the 7. I’m a fan of seating I might need so if I had a choice I would get the bench seat but I think I would be okay with the Captain Chairs like 99% of the time. We are a family of 4, the kids would have a little space and a lot more cargo room.

Really have to think about this one. Was also considering getting the OB Wilderness trim. Have to talk to the Mrs and find out what she wants to do.
Getting a little off topic, but as a family of 4 also, the captain's chairs was almost a requirement for us. We have two kids of carseat age/size so it makes accessing the third row much easier (on the rare occasions we need to use it). The space between the seats also makes the more difficult for the kids to piss each other off on longer trips... haha

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5, 2021 Ascent Premium on the way
242 Posts
Getting a little off topic, but as a family of 4 also, the captain's chairs was almost a requirement for us. We have two kids of carseat age/size
Funny enough this is exactly why I chose an 8 seater, different strokes!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts