Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure which of the existing brake rotor threads to post this in so started a new thread. Front rotors were replaced under warranty on my 2022 Ascent Touring at 10,000 miles.

For the technical folk if the numbers mean anything to you, the paperwork said: "Brake rotors run out of 0.07 - Old rotors were at 30 MM THICK"

Super Moderator
What was the reason for taking it to the shop? Were the brakes noisy, routine inspection or maintenance, etc?

Super Moderator
I could feel the issue with the brakes pulsing / thumping especially when gently applying them at higher speeds.
And whats the build date on your '22? I'd probably have to wait for @Robert.Mauro or something to respond but I'm curious if your build had the newest revision of the brake pads

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
I would advise anyone to perform a bed-in procedure on the brakes. It seems they are a bit more aggressive than most are used to. I have Hawk HPS pads on my legacy and the ones on the ascent feel quite similar, the initial bite is pretty hard so I would guess they build heat pretty quickly and if not bedded will leave spots on the rotor which cause the pulsation you experienced.

Super Moderator
I would advise anyone to perform a bed-in procedure on the brakes. It seems they are a bit more aggressive than most are used to. I have Hawk HPS pads on my legacy and the ones on the ascent feel quite similar, the initial bite is pretty hard so I would guess they build heat pretty quickly and if not bedded will leave spots on the rotor which cause the pulsation you experienced.
By bed in-procedure for the oem pads do you mean drive normally and don鈥檛 brake hard?

Super Moderator
Actually quite the opposite.
As I understand it that procedure is parts-dependent. I did this with my aftermarket rotors/pads with good results.
I believe it has been discussed here but I couldn鈥檛 find it on my initial search due to the plethora or brake discussions. Our manual does say during the first 1k mi 鈥渁void hard braking, except in an emergency. The same break-in procedures should be applied 鈥 when brake pads are replaced with new ones鈥. Afaik, correct me if I鈥檓 wrong, bedding pads and bedding rotors is one and the same 鈥 you鈥檙e transferring pad material to a new surface.

Registered
Not sure which of the existing brake rotor threads to post this in so started a new thread. Front rotors were replaced under warranty on my 2022 Ascent Touring at 10,000 miles.

For the technical folk if the numbers mean anything to you, the paperwork said: "Brake rotors run out of 0.07 - Old rotors were at 30 MM THICK"
What MPG do you get?

Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
As I understand it that procedure is parts-dependent. I did this with my aftermarket rotors/pads with good results.
I believe it has been discussed here but I couldn鈥檛 find it on my initial search due to the plethora or brake discussions. Our manual does say during the first 1k mi 鈥渁void hard braking, except in an emergency. The same break-in procedures should be applied 鈥 when brake pads are replaced with new ones鈥. Afaik, correct me if I鈥檓 wrong, bedding pads and bedding rotors is one and the same 鈥 you鈥檙e transferring pad material to a new surface.
Logically speaking the difference in methods seems to be a gradual buildup of brake pad transfer material vs a more immediate build up. I have done it both ways and the more immediate method has given me better brake life and performance. Having said that, the ascent hasn't given us any problems and the brakes are still in great shape at over 50k miles. But clearly something is wrong with the break-in method or the rotors/pads themselves.

Maybe all manufacturers would be doing themselves a great service to completely break-in a vehicle before giving it to the general public, it could help with so many of these nuances that can really impact brand perception and initial quality. Or at least spend more time with raising awareness that the first 1k miles needs to be gentle, it is alarming how many new owners don't have this information.

Registered
And whats the build date on your '22? I'd probably have to wait for @Robert.Mauro or something to respond but I'm curious if your build had the newest revision of the brake pads
I am virtually positive that he should have the latest version. Mine had the latest version installed by the dealer over a year ago. As far as I know, there hasn't been any further updates.

Registered
2022 ASCENT PREMIUM
Same happened with my 22 premium, at half the mileage. Pulsating at high speed braking (not fun when you鈥檙e barreling down a mountain at 6-7% grade around 80mph).
Anyway鈥..First, they turned rotors. Didn鈥檛 fix.
I brought it back, try again please. They agreed to replace front rotors and pads. They also bled entire brake system.
Dealer initially said they wouldn鈥檛 cover under warranty due to being 鈥渨earable parts鈥. I got SOA to give me $$ to cover.
All is normal now. About 13k on the car.

Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
Same happened with my 22 premium, at half the mileage. Pulsating at high speed braking (not fun when you鈥檙e barreling down a mountain at 6-7% grade around 80mph).
Anyway鈥..First, they turned rotors. Didn鈥檛 fix.
I brought it back, try again please. They agreed to replace front rotors and pads. They also bled entire brake system.
Dealer initially said they wouldn鈥檛 cover under warranty due to being 鈥渨earable parts鈥. I got SOA to give me $$ to cover.
All is normal now. About 13k on the car.
Perhaps you should find another dealer. Pads and rotors (as well as wiper blades) are covered under warranty for 3yrs/36,000 miles.

Registered
I had the same issue on my '21 within the first year. Service tech was unable to replicate so I suspect the test drive wasn't long enough nor were brakes applied hard enough. Don't recall the mileage off the top of my head when I first noticed and reported it, but it was well under 10K.

That said, it's back at the dealer today (mainly for other reasons), but I asked them to look into it again. Hoping for a different outcome this time around...

Administrator
Maybe all manufacturers would be doing themselves a great service to completely break-in a vehicle before giving it to the general public, it could help with so many of these nuances that can really impact brand perception and initial quality.
I've been wondering if a special "break in" coating on top of the rotor's regular coating might work - something that helps the pads smoothly deposit onto the rotors. I am guessing that maybe no one has figured out how to do that without decreasing brake performance during break-in, other than running pads on them for a while on a machine...

...may be a good idea though, to ensure smooth braking for all.

Maybe all manufacturers would be doing themselves a great service to completely break-in a vehicle before giving it to the general public, it could help with so many of these nuances that can really impact brand perception and initial quality. Or at least spend more time with raising awareness that the first 1k miles needs to be gentle, it is alarming how many new owners don't have this information.
Agreed.

Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
SOA echoed this
I had an issue like this with a Dodge dealer about 30 years ago. A fog light blew out two months after I got the car. I brought it in for repair and they charged me for the labor and light. I told the service advisor that the car has 3yr/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty. She said "there no such thing". I went to my car, got it the warranty book and showed it to her. It literally read "what is not covered by the bumper-to-bumper warranty - factory cellphone" and that was all. Her response was "that's wrong, the is no such thing as a bumper-to-bumper warranty, it doesn't matter what that booklet says". Her boss was no better and insisted that I pay. I had to get reimbursed by Dodge.

That dealer is Security Dodge in Amityville, NY. Today, they are probably the highest volume Dodge/Jeep/Ram/Chrysler dealer on Long Island but they are as dishonest now as they were in the past.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts