Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the early days of a new Ascent. There is a noticeable level of road noise from the front area of the car. Perhaps the 20” Falken tires or missing insulation. My 2019 Ascent with Falkens did not have such noise. Any comment would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,258 Posts
Alignment issues can be a contributing factor to road noise. If you're sensitive to that sort of thing (I am). I can tell a difference in noise even after a cross-side tire rotation, where I've changed the direction of the tires. If you have an alignment issue where the tires are scrubbing across the road, even slightly, it can certainly increase noise.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
25 Posts
I just got my 2022 a few weeks ago with the same tires, there is definitely road noise but nothing out of the ordinary. The only noise that I hear that is out of the ordinary is the CVT, but I am used to that from previous Subarus :)

·
Registered
771 Posts
'19 (from '18) to a '21 (from mid-September), both on 20" OEs, and both at the same trim level (Touring) - I have noticed no difference.

I'm nowhere near Lauda in this part of Rush....

....but I'd be lying to say that I was deaf, too. 😬

I'm wondering if there isn't a suspension/alignment issue? Or maybe it is yet another noise you're hearing (vehicle noises can be very deceptive)? I recently had a tear of the wind-seal of the moon-roof assembly (not true weather-seal, as that's on the inner aspect of the vehicle, between the inner and outer skins) that sounded more like an open window or door seal....

·
Registered
1 Posts
'19 (from '18) to a '21 (from mid-September), both on 20" OEs, and both at the same trim level (Touring) - I have noticed no difference.

I'm nowhere near Lauda in this part of Rush....

....but I'd be lying to say that I was deaf, too. 😬

I'm wondering if there isn't a suspension/alignment issue? Or maybe it is yet another noise you're hearing (vehicle noises can be very deceptive)? I recently had a tear of the wind-seal of the moon-roof assembly (not true weather-seal, as that's on the inner aspect of the vehicle, between the inner and outer skins) that sounded more like an open window or door seal....
Can you post a picture of the tear? I have a new Ascent (just over a week old now) and noticed a similar sound, confirmed all the doors, windows and moonroof were closed, but still heard it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Unfortunately I never got around to snapping the picture before I took the car in...... 😖 My sincere apologies.

It looked like a piece of torn weatherstripping from any window/door.

The tear was smaller, about 2 to 3 inches long, but appeared very similar to the one pictured in this SubaruForester.org thread.

In the following thread:

Looking at the RIGHT picture that the OP attached, the tear would have been at the left side, just past that 90-degree bend. An entire chunk was missing, much like what is pictured in the SubaruForester.org thread.

Looking at the top of the vehicle, one couldn't miss it. A chunk was missing, cut by the moonroof mechanism.

Mine was just over the passenger's head. My daughter actually said she could not hear a noise. We think that it may be it was directly above her head, so she perceived it as road-noise, while as the driver, sitting across from the broken seal, it was "earshot" by line-of-sight.

The dealership's repair invoice shows that they charged Subaru ~$220 for the fix, covered under warranty, of-course (I am just south of 1,600 miles, since mid-September).

·
Registered
2019 Limited>>2022 Limited
35 Posts
I just got my 22 on Saturday, and it seems noisier on the highway than my 19 did. However, my 19 didn't have a moonroof and this one does (one corner of the glass sits above the gasket slightly, while the other corners sit where they are supposed to). It is also making a buzzing turbo spool noise between 30-50mph that my 19 did not make.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT
25 Posts
I just got my 22 on Saturday, and it seems noisier on the highway than my 19 did. However, my 19 didn't have a moonroof and this one does (one corner of the glass sits above the gasket slightly, while the other corners sit where they are supposed to). It is also making a buzzing turbo spool noise between 30-50mph that my 19 did not make.
Could the high pitched buzzing noise be the CVT, not the turbo?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Can you post a picture of the tear? I have a new Ascent (just over a week old now) and noticed a similar sound, confirmed all the doors, windows and moonroof were closed, but still heard it.
My service invoice notes that they replaced part no. 65476XC00A, "WSTR FRAME ASSY. On various online Subaru parts outlets, they call this the "Weatherstrip Frame," and it typically retails for right around $120.

Hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts