Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We began our 2120 mile sojourn west in our new Ascent on 1/2/22. We had put about 2000 miles on before leaving

A little long on words, but our experience this past week. You can skip to the notes at the bottom for a synopsis if you like

We've never had a SUV before so I have nothing to directly compare it to. What we can compare is the same loading and the same route we've taken in three other cars and our Ridgeline. Twice in the 2017 RL...probably the closest comparison.

1/4/22. 850 miles in and we're in Topeka, KS. So far I don't notice some of the things others have denoted as not good. I don't feel the steering is too light (even though I initially thought it a little light myself). Notchy go pedal is also a non issue for me. I think the CVT trans /engine combo is pretty well sorted out. I played with my theory of 8th gear being more efficient than what the PC decides by watching the instant mpg gauge and switching back and forth over 100-150 miles as was suggested in another thread. I think on level roads and only slight hills, it may be possible to squeeze a little more out manually, but as of now I'm good to let the brain decide.

1/5/22. Topeka to Tucumcari down through the fruited plain on US54. Wind does move it a little. Most of our 550 mile trip today was at 77 MPH. 15 MPH SSW coming across our left front as we headed south towards KC from Madison, WI.. More so then our RL. I find it quiet inside at speed, but maybe a tad louder than the RL. I agree with all who say the acceleration from 60 to 85 is smooth, quiet, and relatively quick. I find it to have very good road manners up there although we weren't accident avoidance challenged so can't be sure of high speed handling. 19.71 MPG for the day

Wind does move the Ascent more than our Ridgeline. Something that I did find a bit disturbing today was the hood. It shook like jello every time a semi came by...more so than other vehicles we'vev had on the same run. I continue to like the way the CVT smoothly keeps the speed at the set cruise speed. I ran up to 105 mph to check it out and was happy with the road manners. I was only there briefly, but it still had more to go!

1/6/22....Tucumcari to Flagstaff was a somewhat normal day. 75 mph speed limits all the way. Again at 82 and some wind, the hood shakes like jello. The Ascent is firmly planted at 82 mph and great to drive! I used the lane centering enough today to know where I will and won't. Open road and longer sweepers and it works great. Tight corners in mountains, lots of semi traffic...not so good. ie: on a corner, windy, semi next door. The buffeting produced by these conditions causes the lane centering to become erratic. Plus, not everyone stays in their lane as they should. If they even crowd the center line a little, I'm moving towards the shoulder till around them...especially semis! Lane centering doesn't like that. I also note that HVAC, which works very well, is the 1st vehicle we've had that doesn't use 72F as the normal temp to leave at. This one runs between 67 and 69. I actually saw the elusive 26.1 mpg on the display today for the very 1st time after filling up in Gallup with 88 octane. The day's average,running at 82, was 22.45 mpg

1/7/22...Flagstaff down to Havasu always provides the best mpg of the trip. 7400 feet or so down to 600 or so over 205 miles...25.24 mpg at 82 MPH

Misc. notes

I extensively used all the safety aides and am quite satisfied with them. Lane centering doesn't work as well in crosswinds or lots of semi traffic on 2 lane roads at 75-80. It wants to move around a bit then. No big deal. Nothing is perfect. There's a time and place to use the lane centering feature. The adaptive cruise works very well I think, but the only car we've had with it before was a 2002 LS430 we got to drive for a few months...back in 2002. I didn't care for it back then.

This is our 1st vehicle with a rear windshield wiper...I see I'll be buying a few more gallons of washer a year now :)
The articulating headlights are by far the best I've had out of the 4 vehicles we've had with them dating back to our 2010 Buick LaCrosse. The auto hi beam thing works very well too.
We even get a message around 180 miles to take a break. We typically stop every 2.5 to 3 hours. Perfect timing!
We find the seats to be quite comfortable for a 550 mile pull
The seat heaters work just fine
Overall MPG for the trip was 21.20...roughly in line with our former Ridgeline

I don't like the hood shake in the wind or semis crossing by the next lane over. Should of had more support in the hood

I like the Ascent more and more as a cruiser! I'm quite satisfied with the purchase. Good highway manners and adequate power. I'll be interested to see if the mpg picks up running a tank through at 63 mph or so. That won't be till we get home in May.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,549 Posts
I don't like the hood shake in the wind
Did you have the TSB performed? Some folks have a failed adhesive between the aluminum skin and the frame that causes the issue. A dealer can follow the TSB procedure to rectify. My Ascent has never had any hood shake.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you have the TSB performed? Some folks have a failed adhesive between the aluminum skin and the frame that causes the issue. A dealer can follow the TSB procedure to rectify. My Ascent has never had any hood shake.
Thanks.. No, didn't know about it. Our RL had a similar issue, but not as bad. A Honda TSB applied more adhesive, but still wasn't good.. So I bought a tube and put the whole tube in all areas needing it. That worked.

No Subaru dealer within an hour of here. I'll do it when we get home.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,549 Posts
NP. The fix is generally pretty effective, AFAIK.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
248 Posts
I believe the hood TSB fix requires an overnight stay at the shop to let the adhesive cure. Re MPG, I'm only at 800 miles and hadn't broken 20. So today I ran a 45 mile errand on local freeways, reset the odo for the trip, and got 25.6 averaging 72 MPH. Encouraging, after a good breakin, I hope to see it improve further.

I've done the trip from the CA Bay Area to OK many, many times. I know every tumbleweed in TX, AZ & NM on a first name basis. Like the song says..."I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah"...Willin', by Lowell George.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
122 Posts
Doesn't this TSB apply to only 2019 & 2020 MY Ascents?

·
Super Moderator
4,549 Posts
Doesn't this TSB apply to only 2019 & 2020 MY Ascents?
Not sure, but the procedure to fix the issue, if there is a failed adhesive, would be the same.

Reactions: Packard8

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,377 Posts
Thanks.. No, didn't know about it. Our RL had a similar issue, but not as bad. A Honda TSB applied more adhesive, but still wasn't good.. So I bought a tube and put the whole tube in all areas needing it. That worked.
You may need to do that on your Ascent as well. We had the TSB applied to our 2020 Touring but it didn't really work. The hood still flapped...just not quite as apparent as it did before the fix.

Just a note: some of the clips used to secure the hood blanket and air scoop for the intercooler are one-time-use clips, and removal of them necessarily breaks the clips and leaves a portion inside the hood. Unfortunately, this meant that I heard the "tails" of those clips rolling around "inside" the hood structure every time I raised the hood.

I'd probably have re-applied adhesive myself if it wasn't for having to break a whole second set of those clips to get to the areas where the adhesive needed to be applied (and hearing double the number of "tails" inside the hood).

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@hokiefyd Our RL hood didn't shake quite this bad, but there was a TSB for it
Same procedure. The TSB said 1 tube of 3M adhesive would do 3 vehicles. The dealer did a piss poor job.. not fixed at all. I bought a tube of 3M stuff myself and put the whole tube in there. The dealeer had missed many places. That fixed it. It got better with time as heat cured it more. I didn't lose any clips and was able to reuse them all.

I'll let the dealer do the Ascent next summer when we get back.

I can run 80mph with minimal wind and have no jello. 15 mph winds and semis wreak havoc with it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
We began our 2120 mile sojourn west in our new Ascent on 1/2/22. We had put about 2000 miles on before leaving

A little long on words, but our experience this past week. You can skip to the notes at the bottom for a synopsis if you like

We've never had a SUV before so I have nothing to directly compare it to. What we can compare is the same loading and the same route we've taken in three other cars and our Ridgeline. Twice in the 2017 RL...probably the closest comparison.

1/4/22. 850 miles in and we're in Topeka, KS. So far I don't notice some of the things others have denoted as not good. I don't feel the steering is too light (even though I initially thought it a little light myself). Notchy go pedal is also a non issue for me. I think the CVT trans /engine combo is pretty well sorted out. I played with my theory of 8th gear being more efficient than what the PC decides by watching the instant mpg gauge and switching back and forth over 100-150 miles as was suggested in another thread. I think on level roads and only slight hills, it may be possible to squeeze a little more out manually, but as of now I'm good to let the brain decide.

1/5/22. Topeka to Tucumcari down through the fruited plain on US54. Wind does move it a little. Most of our 550 mile trip today was at 77 MPH. 15 MPH SSW coming across our left front as we headed south towards KC from Madison, WI.. More so then our RL. I find it quiet inside at speed, but maybe a tad louder than the RL. I agree with all who say the acceleration from 60 to 85 is smooth, quiet, and relatively quick. I find it to have very good road manners up there although we weren't accident avoidance challenged so can't be sure of high speed handling. 19.71 MPG for the day

Wind does move the Ascent more than our Ridgeline. Something that I did find a bit disturbing today was the hood. It shook like jello every time a semi came by...more so than other vehicles we'vev had on the same run. I continue to like the way the CVT smoothly keeps the speed at the set cruise speed. I ran up to 105 mph to check it out and was happy with the road manners. I was only there briefly, but it still had more to go!

1/6/22....Tucumcari to Flagstaff was a somewhat normal day. 75 mph speed limits all the way. Again at 82 and some wind, the hood shakes like jello. The Ascent is firmly planted at 82 mph and great to drive! I used the lane centering enough today to know where I will and won't. Open road and longer sweepers and it works great. Tight corners in mountains, lots of semi traffic...not so good. ie: on a corner, windy, semi next door. The buffeting produced by these conditions causes the lane centering to become erratic. Plus, not everyone stays in their lane as they should. If they even crowd the center line a little, I'm moving towards the shoulder till around them...especially semis! Lane centering doesn't like that. I also note that HVAC, which works very well, is the 1st vehicle we've had that doesn't use 72F as the normal temp to leave at. This one runs between 67 and 69. I actually saw the elusive 26.1 mpg on the display today for the very 1st time after filling up in Gallup with 88 octane. The day's average,running at 82, was 22.45 mpg

1/7/22...Flagstaff down to Havasu always provides the best mpg of the trip. 7400 feet or so down to 600 or so over 205 miles...25.24 mpg at 82 MPH

Misc. notes

I extensively used all the safety aides and am quite satisfied with them. Lane centering doesn't work as well in crosswinds or lots of semi traffic on 2 lane roads at 75-80. It wants to move around a bit then. No big deal. Nothing is perfect. There's a time and place to use the lane centering feature. The adaptive cruise works very well I think, but the only car we've had with it before was a 2002 LS430 we got to drive for a few months...back in 2002. I didn't care for it back then.

This is our 1st vehicle with a rear windshield wiper...I see I'll be buying a few more gallons of washer a year now :)
The articulating headlights are by far the best I've had out of the 4 vehicles we've had with them dating back to our 2010 Buick LaCrosse. The auto hi beam thing works very well too.
We even get a message around 180 miles to take a break. We typically stop every 2.5 to 3 hours. Perfect timing!
We find the seats to be quite comfortable for a 550 mile pull
The seat heaters work just fine
Overall MPG for the trip was 21.20...roughly in line with our former Ridgeline

I don't like the hood shake in the wind or semis crossing by the next lane over. Should of had more support in the hood

I like the Ascent more and more as a cruiser! I'm quite satisfied with the purchase. Good highway manners and adequate power. I'll be interested to see if the mpg picks up running a tank through at 63 mph or so. That won't be till we get home in May.
Nice summary of your experience with your new Ascent. I currently have a 2019 Ascent Limited and I'm waiting for a 2022 Onyx Edition -- I have not had any issues with the 2019 Ascent, but the high resale value for my 2019 made it a good time to order a 2022 Ascent as a replacement.

I had bad hood shaking at highway speeds on the 2019 Ascent when I first got it. The dealer performed the re-bonding with the TSB, and after this the the shaking was totally gone.

I am also not a fan of the lane assist (the 2019 did not have lane centering) -- I prefer to drive in the portion of my lane depending on the behavior of the vehicles in the lanes adjacent to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice summary of your experience with your new Ascent. I currently have a 2019 Ascent Limited and I'm waiting for a 2022 Onyx Edition -- I have not had any issues with the 2019 Ascent, but the high resale value for my 2019 made it a good time to order a 2022 Ascent as a replacement.

I had bad hood shaking at highway speeds on the 2019 Ascent when I first got it. The dealer performed the re-bonding with the TSB, and after this the the shaking was totally gone.

I am also not a fan of the lane assist (the 2019 did not have lane centering) -- I prefer to drive in the portion of my lane depending on the behavior of the vehicles in the lanes adjacent to me.
Thanks. Good to hear about your 19. I drive like you as regards the traffic around me. The lane centering is more obtrusive is this regard than lane assist when in heavier traffic and I want to shade one side of the lane or the other. I found I like it best on the 'open road' I won't use it elsewhere. I'm glad it's on the vehicle. The lane assist bothers a little when in traffic, but only when going by someone shading the center line. Seeing as I've always been pretty meticulous with signaling all lane changes, I don't find it very bothersome overall. I think I set the sound notification as low as it can go for that feature? If so, my old ears, don't hear the audible most of the time :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
My impressions with our 2022 Touring on our roadtrip from NY to FL and back are about the same as yours. Other than the battery problem I talked about in another thread. I did not have any issues with the hood though. MY mileage for the trip down to FL (about 1400 miles) resulted in an average MPG of 24.6. Had one tank with 28.1.

And I agree the lane centering works great on open roads, but not with heavy traffic at high speed.
However, heavy traffic at slow speeds works great. Like stop and go, or under 30. The automatic stop and hold is great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So far my '22 Ascent does not have a Jello hood but...

it's predecessor, a '21 Tacoma had it big time.

·
Registered
831 Posts
So far, my '21 has fared much better than my '19, in terms of hood-flop (or lack thereof).

She's going to get her first road-trip in decently soon, so we'll see what some crosswinds will do. Don't worry. I travel with duct-tape.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can only speak from my experience, but the only two hoods I've had an issue with are Honda and Subaru. Now I see Toyota mentioned above here. None of the Big 3 full size sedans we've the last 30 years had any noticeable hood shake at all. That includes a Charger with 3 big hood vents in the middle of it. They were / are all aluminum hoods too.

If the mandate is weight reduction with reduced hood bracing, it seems the very least they could do is bond it properly. It's a bad look from a QC standpoint.

·
Super Moderator
4,549 Posts
There's no disagreement that the bonding should be done properly. And it's also good that there's a formal process/procedure to remediate those particular vehicles that do have failed bonding. As you note, this is clearly not just a Subaru issue.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
152 Posts
Im just wondering why some of us have had issues with hood vibration And some or majority with no issues at all. Maybe some of us have different degree of perception or maybe subaru on their QC department are sleeping while on the job! Fyi: i dont have issues with my 19 ascent

1 - 20 of 30 Posts