Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-

I read up on what to turn off before taking the Ascent to a car wash.

When I turn off the pre collision braking...it reads "OFF" on the main panel...but when I turn off the engine and get back in my car...the off is illuminated for about 4 seconds and then disappears. I would think that this means that it is back on. The same for the lane changing (stay in your line prompt). They both will turn off and read off, but appear to turn back on when the engine is turned off and on again.
When I am at a car wash- I can turn off the pre collision braking,, but my engine gets turned off when they are vacuuming etc...once they turn the engine back on, it will engage this feature again. (and I won't be in the car to turn it off) How am I supposed to go to a non self driving car wash when I am not in the car if the pre collision braking comes back on if the engine turns off and back on?

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
486 Posts
Interesting, I'd never even thought about that before. I've taken my Ascent through several car washes and never turned off the pre collision braking, and that was never a problem. I can see how it could be, although maybe the car knows not to brake when it's in neutral? I don't know. And I don't know how non self driving car washes work since I've never used one.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What is a non-self driving car wash? I believe the manual notes to turn off the collision and lane departure features before a car wash, so i do that and never had an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting, I'd never even thought about that before. I've taken my Ascent through several car washes and never turned off the pre collision braking, and that was never a problem. I can see how it could be, although maybe the car knows not to brake when it's in neutral? I don't know. And I don't know how non self driving car washes work since I've never used one.
What is a non-self driving car wash? I believe the manual notes to turn off the collision and lane departure features before a car wash, so i do that and never had an issue.
Hi- What I meant by a non self driving car wash is...I am not in the car as it goes through the wash. Self driving=you can sit in the car and drive through the wash

·
Super Moderator
2,697 Posts
Sorry I don’t have an answer specifically addressing the eyesight features turning back on with the engine. Aren’t they done in the wash tunnel by the time they’re vacuuming though?
That’s how the ones I’m familiar with work: get in line for the wash tunnel, hand over the keys, car goes thru the tunnel, then they drive it to the finishing area. After the tunnel part eyesight doesn’t need to be off anymore.

The best solution imho is don’t put your Ascent thru a car wash unless it’s touchless. Subaru paint is notoriously soft and those carwashes will cause swirls, or worse.

Another thing to consider is when they’re vacuuming and doing your dash and windows after the wash. Overspray of glass cleaner or an ambitious employee can get on the eyesight lenses. Prepping the car by putting some masking tape over the lenses would be the safest option.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
541 Posts
Around here they vac first, run the car through the wash, then dry and do windows at the end. However, I haven't seen a car wash that turns off the engine while vacuuming. Maybe that's a local thing due to noise complaints or something? Anyway, you can just stand there and when they re-start the car tell them how to turn off ES.

I personally skip the interior cleaning and prefer to do that myself. I don't want whatever they're using to be carelessly oversprayed into my stuff (kids toys and car seats are in my Ascent).

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,549 Posts
I'm not surprised if that is the vehicle behavior for a critical system like that as I believe using the button also affects traction control, etc. I have not run into this, but I only use car washes that I stay in my vehicle the whole time. If a car wash requires the owner to vacate the vehicle...I don't go there.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
730 Posts
I'm not surprised if that is the vehicle behavior for a critical system like that as I believe using the button also affects traction control, etc. I have not run into this, but I only use car washes that I stay in my vehicle the whole time. If a car wash requires the owner to vacate the vehicle...I don't go there.
Yea, still scratching my head on this. A car wash where no one sits in the car? My mind is blown....lol

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ha yea, I’m nervous enough going through on my own - no way I’m letting some clown take my car through that. Honestly I have never used or seen one of these where I am at in Chicagoland, but I imagine it’s also more expensive.

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
Hey all, here's a summary of all the details you need to know.

For any drive through or drag through (roller pull) car wash:
  • turn off pre collision braking (yes, it does activate, even if the car is in neutral)*
  • turn off auto wipers (if equipped)
  • lock the doors (if you like your gas filler door cover)
  • turn off Auto Vehicle Hold (especially important if an attendant drives your car onto the rollers for you)
* for those wondering, pre collision braking on the Ascent works at any and all speeds - it is not limited to over 10 mph as per some posts online in other Subaru forums. It also works in the Ascent when it's in neutral, unlike the info in some posts in other Subaru forums. You can see me demonstrate 4 mph and neutral in this video to show people that the Ascent has neither limitation.

My friends at the dealerships have told me that they've gotten lucky 8 out of 10 times, that the car figures out what's going on, before slamming the brakes in a car wash tunnel, but, those other two times can be problematic. In my (and their) opinions, it's not worth the chance of not doing it right.

For any "park and sit" car wash:

If you're using a "park and sit" style car wash, and it has a drive through dryer, then also turn off pre collision braking (or just be prepared it may trigger briefly when you try to exit).

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
730 Posts
I think you mean to say "turn off AVH", right?

But for us, we have never done any of these.....so far 10/10 :D

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
I think you mean to say "turn off AVH", right?
LOL, yes, I forgot "turn off" - fixing now, thanks!!!
But for us, we have never done any of these.....so far 10/10 :D
I've had... mishaps. Thanks to all my traveling, and numerous photo stops, I have washed my car a hundred times by now, so... when I am being forgetful or am in an extreme rush on a trip, I've forgotten, and things have happened, lol!!! I'm probably on 1 of 15 times.

The last thing I want (especially in a roller pull car wash) is for my car to get stuck, and the car behind me to be slammed into mine. 😉

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
486 Posts
Hey all, here's a summary of all the details you need to know.

For any drive through or drag through (roller pull) car wash:
  • turn off pre collision braking (yes, it does activate, even if the car is in neutral)*
  • turn off Auto Vehicle Hold (especially important if an attendant drives your car onto the rollers for you)
* for those wondering, pre collision braking on the Ascent works at any and all speeds - it is not limited to over 10 mph as per some posts online in other Subaru forums. It also works in the Ascent when it's in neutral, unlike the info in some posts in other Subaru forums. You can see me demonstrate 4 mph and neutral in this video to show people that the Ascent has neither limitation.

My friends at the dealerships have told me that they've gotten lucky 8 out of 10 times, that the car figures out what's going on, before slamming the brakes in a car wash tunnel, but, those other two times can be problematic. In my (and their) opinions, it's not worth the chance of not doing it right.

For any "park and sit" car wash:

If you're using a "park and sit" style car wash, and it has a drive through dryer, then also turn off pre collision braking (or just be prepared it may trigger briefly when you try to exit).
Thanks for the summary, Robert. And dang, glad I've gotten lucky so far, since I didn't know about turning off the pre-collision braking. Definitely don't want to encounter any of the 2 out of 10 brake slamming. By the way, since I've never turned it off before, how do you turn off the pre collision braking?

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
Thanks for the summary, Robert. And dang, glad I've gotten lucky so far, since I didn't know about turning off the pre-collision braking. Definitely don't want to encounter any of the 2 out of 10 brake slamming. By the way, since I've never turned it off before, how do you turn off the pre collision braking?
I don't know where my original photos are, so, I did a video screen grab.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Green

·
Administrator
11,373 Posts
Thanks, Robert! Funny, I've never even noticed that button for the pre collision braking. I've seen it, but haven't SEEN it. :)
I never remember which is which, and have to look every time, lol!!! 🤣

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,274 Posts
Excellent points.i haven't taken the Ascent thru any car washes but it's inevitable one day. I wouldn't have though of either of these.

You'd think that the pre-collision would be inoperable once the soap suds obscured the cameras. But once the soap clears all bets are off.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I only use a touchless laser wash in which i drive it in, place it in park, remain in the vehicle, and the machine travels around my stationary vehicle. The Ascent doesn"t move u.til I slowly drive it out during the drying sequence.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts