Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. I'm a first time Subaru owner and let me just first say that I love my Ascent. However, I have noticed a howling wind noise now that the temps have gotten colder. It seems to happen when temps are below 40 degrees. I do have the crossbars which came with the car and they are installed correctly. Anyone else noticing this sound? It's fairly loud and a little bothersome. I don't have a moonroof, and all of my windows are completely up. Anyone have any ideas as to where it could be coming from or where I can look?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Sometimes windows appear to be completely raised but in fact have not made a sufficient seal with the weatherstripping. I do not recall any postings reporting what you have experienced. I would suggest identifying what speed you are traveling at the time of the noise and if the noise is continuous, slowly & slightly lower one window at a time (lower one window while keeping the others raised, then raise that window and lower a different window slightly) to see if it makes a difference. You might find one window is not sealing correctly. If this test does not result in any changes and the noise persist as a wind noise then I would bring it in to the dealer for their review. I am assuming you are correct that it is the wind and not some other source.

The key here is being able to duplicate the noise so that you and the dealer can figure out its source. Also check door seals. Have someone in the rear listening while you duplicate the noise so they can have a better chance at identifying the noise source location.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes windows appear to be completely raised but in fact have not made a sufficient seal with the weatherstripping. I do not recall any postings reporting what you have experienced. I would suggest identifying what speed you are traveling at the time of the noise and if the noise is continuous, slowly & slightly lower one window at a time (lower one window while keeping the others raised, then raise that window and lower a different window slightly) to see if it makes a difference. You might find one window is not sealing correctly. If this test does not result in any changes and the noise persist as a wind noise then I would bring it in to the dealer for their review. I am assuming you are correct that it is the wind and not some other source.

The key here is being able to duplicate the noise so that you and the dealer can figure out its source. Also check door seals. Have someone in the rear listening while you duplicate the noise so they can have a better chance at identifying the noise source location.
Thanks! I will try these things. I purchased my Ascent in September when the weather was much warmer. I just started noticing it a couple of weeks ago (while on my way to work) when we started having morning frosts. I haven't noticed it on the afternoon drive home when temps are warmer. I will check the windows and make sure they are all sealed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would lean toward that the noise is coming from the crossbar. In my experience in the past, crossbar can make all kinds of howling noise from the wind (mine wasn't the aero crossbar though), but I doubt aero crossbar eliminates wind completely. I haven't installed the aero crossbar on my ascent yet. I know you can move the crossbar along the rails which may cause 1 bar to be slightly at different height w/ the other bar.
Maybe other that has crossbar stayed on all the time can chime in. I actually would like to know as well if the aero crossbar creates noise or not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey, guys. I'm a first time Subaru owner and let me just first say that I love my Ascent. However, I have noticed a howling wind noise now that the temps have gotten colder. It seems to happen when temps are below 40 degrees. I do have the crossbars which came with the car and they are installed correctly. Anyone else noticing this sound? It's fairly loud and a little bothersome. I don't have a moonroof, and all of my windows are completely up. Anyone have any ideas as to where it could be coming from or where I can look?
I have the same issue.. 21 Ascent. No Sunroof or crossrails. I live in MN, so cold climates. Much worse with a headwind. I did not notice the howling when I test drove the car in 60F. No clue what causes it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts