Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just drove the 2020 outback as a loaner...what I found good is the large screen/wireless charging/ diff modes for cruise control accel and overall very nice infotainment system (Come on Subaru...how come you left us Ascent owners out of the cool upgrade :D).
On the flip side I didnt like the auto stop start and it feels more sluggish than the ascent to me, especially during start...
Yup that auto stop is annoying and it barely saves gas. The center display on the gauge cluster shows how much gas you save for using start/stop and it's in the thousandth lol. I'm hoping they upgrade 2021 ascent interior to similar to 2020 legacy with updates.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Is there a way of disengaging the stop/start feature on these newer Outbacks?
Only on a per-trip basis and several menus deep. There is no way to "permanently" disable it by design. Shutting off and restarting resets the SS to "on". If that's allowed, the vehicle manufacturer cannot use the more favorable fleet efficiency calculation methods which can cost big-bucks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am able to control auto stop/start in 19 Forester with Brake Pedal 96% of the time ... took me about a week to get use to it ...

·
Registered
554 Posts
It’s fully (permanently) defeatable with most other manufacturers. BMW being one.

I remember getting a ‘19 Forester loaner with it. It was absolutely awful.

The way the boxer engine rocks the whole car while cranking/starting I was ready to throw the keys at the dealer. And yeah, having to defeat it every time I got in it was annoying. I don’t think it works well in the Subaru’s because of the body rock while cranking. Some cars it’s almost completely unnoticeable.
Very glad the 2020 Ascent doesn’t have it, because I bet it’s coming in the MY21 or MY22.

·
Registered
937 Posts
We rented a Chrysler Pacifica (I know a minivan) for a week on vacation. The auto stop/start was definitely noticeable. By the end of the week, I had to shut off that feature. The transmission was terrible when we had to make a climb up a winding road to get to our resort. The transmission would lurch forward when it downshifted and pause when it attempted to upshift. What a terrible driving experience.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This late in the model year, I’d opt for a MY21 to be honest. There WILL be changes, possibly many, question is how long will it take us to find them. :)

Order it just how you want it, fresh from the factory.
The 2020s just came out 5 months ago. If you can wait until about September, you can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just drove the 2020 outback as a loaner...what I found good is the large screen/wireless charging/ diff modes for cruise control accel and overall very nice infotainment system (Come on Subaru...how come you left us Ascent owners out of the cool upgrade :D).
On the flip side I didnt like the auto stop start and it feels more sluggish than the ascent to me, especially during start...
Trust me. After living with a 2020 Outback for a month, it's not a "Cool upgrade". I much prefer the Ascents set up and functionality.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Two upgrades - 1) Tie the rear wiper into the rain sensing wipers. This should be standard on all trim levels as this is really a safety feature. 2) Tie the Blind spot detection into the lane departure yellow lights that show up on the windshield.

And I agree with James B that the larger screen is not a good upgrade. I didn't even consider the Outback because of the larger display screen and lack of physical controls. That and I couldn't read the lower half of the Outback screen while wearing my polarized sunglasses.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I sure hope this feature does not find its way to the future Ascent.n We should consider letting SOA know that we would not be interested.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts