Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been eyeing on ascent since 19' model and I'm finally ready to order it later this year. Last year's updates from 19 weren't impressive. I know it's still early, but Is there any news regarding 2021 model? I just can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I happen to have a couple friends who work in the Indiana plant and I can tell you that the tooling is not scheduled to be changed until 2027. That can change, but it could be a testimony that Subaru has no plans for a major change to the model for many years. Typically a "generation" lasts 10 years. A mid cycle refresh can change the exterior look somewhat, but that is mostly stamping, not tooling.

So my overall point is that I dont expect many changes to this model at all over the next 3 years at least.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
I happen to have a couple friends who work in the Indiana plant and I can tell you that the tooling is not scheduled to be changed until 2027. That can change, but it could be a testimony that Subaru has no plans for a major change to the model for many years. Typically a "generation" lasts 10 years. A mid cycle refresh can change the exterior look somewhat, but that is mostly stamping, not tooling.

So my overall point is that I dont expect many changes to this model at all over the next 3 years at least.
Outback generations, and likely Ascent generations, are not or will not be that long. Nor have they ever been. It's been a consistent 5 or 6 years from inception into the 6th Generation of Outback/Leggy.

Outback:
  • First generation (1994–1999)
  • Second generation (2000–2004)
  • Third generation (2005–2009)
  • Fourth generation (2009–2014)
  • Fifth generation (2015–2019)
  • Sixth generation (2020–present)
Impreza (WRX, etc) generations are longer, but still well under ten years. They started at ten years, and then shrunk to 6 years.
  • First generation (1992–2001) – GM, GC, GF
  • Second generation (2000–2007) – GD, GG
  • Third generation (2007–2014) – GE, GV, GH, GR
  • Fourth generation (2011–2016) – GJ, GP, VA
  • Fifth generation (2016–present) – GK, GT
The Forester has a shorter than decade cycle too, at five years:
  • 1998 – 2002 Subaru Forester (SF 1st Generation)
  • 2003 – 2008 Subaru Forester (SG 2nd Generation) ...
  • 2009 – 2013 Subaru Forester (SH 3rd Generation) ...
  • 2014 – 2018 Subaru Forester (SJ 4th Generation) ...
  • 2019 – Present Subaru Forester (SK 5th Generation) ...
I have it from a reliable source that the Ascent is on a 5 year cycle like the Outback and Forester.

BUT...
Time will tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did those include an all-new platform/frame though? But yeah, you're right. Subaru is not like the rest of the industry with the 10 year standards. However, with strong sales and the large initial investment to produce the Ascent, I still do not expect many changes as they will want to maximize their returns.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
Did those include an all-new platform/frame though? But yeah, you're right. Subaru is not like the rest of the industry with the 10 year standards.
To one extent or another.

If you remember the Gen 3 Outback, for instance, you know there were major changes made to the Gen 4. The Gen 5 had some decent changes as well, and the Gen 6 was a massive platform change.

However, with strong sales and the large initial investment to produce the Ascent, I still do not expect many changes as they will want to maximize their returns.
Many Subaru parts are highly interchangeable. I expect it's very easy for them to make noticeable changes to the Ascent with minimal investment, such as the updated Eyesight, the 11.2" Fujitsu Ten/Denso head unit, Driver Assist/Focus, and all of the rest of the creature comforts that made it into the newest Outback and Forester, etc. I suspect we may see increased and improved wireless features, if things proceed the way I think they're going.

Obviously, the mid cycle refresh will not be a new platform, and, considering the SGP has been implemented into the Ascent to meet 2025 3rd row crash safety requirements (already), I don't see any changes needed there - just refinements.

Considering, like the Outback, the Ascent is literally stamped from rolls of sheet metal right here in Indiana, I do see the possibility for some body refinements, just like with the Gen 4 and Gen 5 Outbacks. For instance, I was in the unlucky early Gen 4 group that had to go in through the wheel well to change headlights. They changed that, even though it was a structure change.

But, time will tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is very interesting. Yes, the interior tech will NEED to continue to improve to stay competitive. That being said, I am wowed every time I drive the Ascent versus my 14 Forester which literally only has Bluetooth. Its amazing what 5 years do to what we as a society expect in terms of tech in our cars.

·
Super Moderator
6,394 Posts
With having moved to a global platform will that effect how much change between generations?
I wish I knew. We're not the first model on the SGP, so, we'll maybe get some idea before the end of our first generation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not looking for any significant changes. Current model looks good, but just hoping for a few cosmetic changes and updated eyesight with LCA, touchless rear power gate, 360camera, and maybe dark interior for touring model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The only possible changes will be electrical, cosmetic (interior and exterior colors) or relatively minor. Can they address the battery drain issue or stereo issues? Possibly.

Will they materially change the shape, seats, powertrain or wheelbase, absolutely not. As to the follow on question about the global platform, it will not be a factor in changing the major elements of the car. With all the certifications and testing required to make significant changes to a vehicle, 5 years is currently the soonest Subaru can make major changes to a platform.

·
Registered
581 Posts
This late in the model year, I’d opt for a MY21 to be honest. There WILL be changes, possibly many, question is how long will it take us to find them. :)

Order it just how you want it, fresh from the factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Using the Outback as a model, the Gen 5 model debuted in 2015 with virtually nothing noteworthy changing until 2018 with some new exterior cosmetic touches, larger touchscreen, HVAC control changes, clock/temp relocation, new blind spot indicator etc. In my opinion, the new Outback tablet-like screen needs to find it's way to the Ascent by 2022. It's one of the areas that already feels antiquated in the current Ascent when you compare to Kia/Hyundai and the new Highlander. Ascent sales will suffer when inventory on these new models catch up to demand. While I like the Ascent, it really is a Gen 5 Outback on steroids (allowing for the inclusion of the new global architecture).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been eyeing on ascent since 19' model and I'm finally ready to order it later this year. Last year's updates from 19 weren't impressive. I know it's still early, but Is there any news regarding 2021 model? I just can't find it anywhere.
I suspect they might add the lane centering feature that's now in the 2020 Forester & Outbacks.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes. We’ve got an older version. Just like 2019>2020 there will be many small changes that may not even be noticeable. We already know the ECU and TCMs will have different/newer firmware.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Higher quality leather upholstery. Higher quality audio. Steering wheel extend further toward driver. Higher quality windshield. gas struts for hood. Hatch area lighting improved. Rear fender well liner improved. Air assist ride height for towing. Larger color palate that includes the full spectrum of other Subaru's. Standard equipment on the Limited and Touring available as ala carte for the Premium model.
Just a few of the things I am hoping they improve in the next gen and within 5 years of original release. I prefer to trade in every 5 or 6 years, starting with year two of any model change, than to keep my car functional with repairs. I hate it when even a headlight goes out and I need to go into the dealer. So far, so good just trade-in/up every 5 or 6 years. My payments are nearly the same and trade in value is at it's peak at that time point.

·
Registered
466 Posts
When I do get a replacement for the Ascent, it's pretty likely I'll get something else. Not that I'm dissatisfied with it, but by then the options will be a different and my needs likely will have changed...might even go full EV, who knows. Out of the 10 cars/SUVs I've personally owned, only two have been the same brand.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just bought 2020 Legacy XT limited and I love it. I didn't get Touring because of the brown interior. I didn't mind the brown seats but brown dash and door panels were just too much. I love using LCA, and just hoping it would be added to 2021 ascent along with other few options :)
I'll be replacing my SQ5 with Ascent because I think we need more room and a 7 seater that's not too big.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts