Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Our local Subaru dealer has exactly ONE new model for sale...a silver 2021 Legacy sedan. Everything else is gone. And they say that the next few trucks' worth of new cars are pre-sold. It's just a tough market right now for buying cars.

Regarding the cameras, we use both front and rear cameras all the time. We park in a standard 2-car garage but I have a workbench on the end wall and want to pull the Ascent in just far enough to where the garage door will close, to maximize the space in front of it. I'd also like to be able to pull the Ascent into the garage just far enough that the rear liftgate will open without hitting the closed garage door (so we can pack the car when it's raining or snowing or whatever). So I have two bright tape marks on the floor and we use the front camera every time we pull into the garage. When we pull forward enough so that the first tape mark is just no longer visible, then we're in far enough to close the garage door. When we pull forward enough so that the second tape mark is just no longer visible, then we're in far enough to close the garage door and have the rear liftgate open.

The rear camera (in the mirror that comes with the Touring) is nice because you don't have to adjust the mirror for different drivers. It's truly like a television display when it's on, and the viewing angle isn't critical. I really like the brightness and fullness of the color picture and find that my older eyes can more easily see what's going on behind me when in television mode than a mirror. I find that I have to look "into" the mirror for longer, and let my eyes re-focus on that 3-dimension visual, before I get good clarity on what's behind me. Television mode, however, presents a 2-dimensional image for me to look at and I can acquire objects with my eyes much faster in that mode.

The rearview mirror is probably the biggest surprise to us, in terms of a Touring feature we didn't think we cared about but find that we use all the time.

I will say that I also fold the outside mirrors a lot. That's also a Touring specific feature. I fold the mirrors in our garage (for more room, fewer brushes against the mirrors, etc.) and I fold the mirrors when parked.
Yep, same here, everything is pre-sold / reserved. One dealer requires a $500 deposit, the other doesn't care about that; both dealers know they can sell the car immediately if whoever has reserved it backs out. Once you accept that you're paying MSRP and might not get the color or trim you want, it's actually a fairly low-pressure sales environment. You will get what you get and you will like it...or someone else will! Our car dealership lots across all brands are truly depressing to see. Bare parking lots for days.

Very helpful feedback on the front and rear cameras. They both sound very practical even if excessive! I imagine both will come standard on most cars in the next five years. Even though the Touring isn't cheap, those sorts of bells and whistles for the price make it a great value IMO. If you price out the top-tier Pilot, you're past $50k and still missing some of this stuff, on top of having a car that looks dumb (although they are very quiet). A new Highlander will cost even more than that and looks worse than the Pilot!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm in California (SF Bay Area). I just bought a Premium off the lot for $2000 under MSRP. (There were multiple dealerships that rejected that offer and were insisting on MSRP or just $500ish off MSRP, but I did finally find one who would accept my offer.) Downtown Oakland Subaru currently has a touring listed on TrueCar for $4810 below MSRP (though it's not the color you want). (Heads up: Downtown Oakland WILL try to add on $5000 in dealer options.) And a few dealerships in our area are willing to do VIP pricing on special orders if you can wait 8-12 weeks.

This is just to say that it is still possible to get some discounts if you shop around, though they're not as high as they once were (and you might need to be willing to compromise on some options like exterior color).
Interesting... How do you get VIP pricing?

Going to look up that Touring now!

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,007 Posts
Although it's not my favorite color (that would be the blue), I would kill for a white Touring with the Java Brown leather. When clean, which is never in my life TBH, that thing would be absolutely heavenly.
We were on the fence between the white and blue when we bought ours. We ended up preferring blue if we did the Limited with ivory interior, or white if we did the Touring with brown interior. We chose the Touring and are very happy with the outcome. The white has the metallic flakes in it and has a pretty striking look to it when viewed up close. We also thought the white looked nicest with the chrome/satin accents that come with the Touring.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,440 Posts
Furthermore, if I'm going to wait that long, I should just wait a tiny bit longer for the 2022s since rumor is the MSRPs on those isn't changing materially.
I could be mistaken, but I suspect any new factory orders are already for MY22 vehicles...and yea, check out VIP, but before you sign up with a charity that's in the program with a donation, be sure your dealer(s) are participating in the program. It's not required. If you are a current (or past Subaru owner and have the VIN) also call into customer service and ask nicely for a Loyalty Rebate. It can be between $250 and $750, depending on circumstances and past Subaru history.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I could be mistaken, but I suspect any new factory orders are already for MY22 vehicles...and yea, check out VIP, but before you sign up with a charity that's in the program with a donation, be sure your dealer(s) are participating in the program. It's not required. If you are a current (or past Subaru owner and have the VIN) also call into customer service and ask nicely for a Loyalty Rebate. It can be between $250 and $750, depending on circumstances and past Subaru history.
The dealers told me orders for 2022 aren't starting until September so whatever you order now will be 2021 and delayed three months. Kind of crappy.

The VIP research I've done says you have to be active in whatever charity for 6 months. Anyone know anything different than that?

I'm definitely planning to ask for the loyalty rebate. Was super excited to hear about that mentioned on this helpful forum!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
We were on the fence between the white and blue when we bought ours. We ended up preferring blue if we did the Limited with ivory interior, or white if we did the Touring with brown interior. We chose the Touring and are very happy with the outcome. The white has the metallic flakes in it and has a pretty striking look to it when viewed up close. We also thought the white looked nicest with the chrome/satin accents that come with the Touring.
I'm extremely jealous!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting... How do you get VIP pricing?

Going to look up that Touring now!
There's a pinned thread that fully explains it, but the fastest way seems to be that you make a $500 donation to the ASPCA, and then you're eligible for 2% off invoice at dealerships that participate in the program. For the less expensive donation options, it does seem you need to be a member for 6 months, but not for the ASPCA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
There's a pinned thread that fully explains it, but the fastest way seems to be that you make a $500 donation to the ASPCA, and then you're eligible for 2% off invoice at dealerships that participate in the program. For the less expensive donation options, it does seem you need to be a member for 6 months, but not for the ASPCA.
2% off INVOICE? What dealers right now are getting anywhere close to invoice price (~$44k for the Ascent Touring) let alone 2% below it? Did you mean off MSRP?

·
Super Moderator
3,440 Posts
The VIP research I've done says you have to be active in whatever charity for 6 months. Anyone know anything different than that?
Both ASPCA and PHS get you immediate access with a $500 donation unless something has changed. There is now a 6 months waiting period on PHS if you just go in as a normal membership that's less than $500.

·
Super Moderator
3,440 Posts
2% off INVOICE? What dealers right now are getting anywhere close to invoice price (~$44k for the Ascent Touring) let alone 2% below it? Did you mean off MSRP?
VIP for ASPCA and PHS (Pennsylvania Horticultural Society) is 2% off invoice for the vehicle and any accessories ordered/purchased with the vehicle. Many dealers are only accepting VIP for factory orders, if at all, but "normally", it applies to in-stock vehicles, too. They know that anything they have on-hand can be sold for big bucks right not. Some VIP program partners are "only" at invoice price, but ASPCA and PHS.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I definitely meant 2% off invoice. I haven't confirmed it myself (because we decided to buy off the lot), but it's been pretty widely discussed on this forum.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
285 Posts
I used to live up in Alaska, and both my '82 GL wagon and my '95 Outback were awesome in the snow, which made me a Subaru loyalist for life. No longer live in Alaska, but I know our Ascent would be as great if not better, and it did great up on Mt Hood this winter the couple times we headed up there. We love our Limited, and for us 8 seats was a need, but I'm sure either the Limited or Touring will end up making you very happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks like I missed a lot of solid responses in the last day or so. I've always wanted to drive a car/motorcycle to Alaska since I had family assigned there, but I do see your point about the challenges of doing so - especially in a new car. Apologies if that suggestion came across as cavalier.

As suggested though, you may be able to find a dealer in the Lower 48 willing to give you a discount. This may help to offset at least some of the cost to ship to your location. It might take several calls/e-mails, but there are some dealers still offering them, even in this buying environment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We decided on a new Touring (White/w/Black int) several months ago and have been very happy with the choice. The extra amenities and nice trim are well worth the extra expense in my book. We lived in Alaska for 15 years and I understand your concerns about driving a brand new car up the ALCAN. I did it once in a brand new STI that I bought in WA state, since they were really tough to get below MSRP in state. It took a beating on the way back and really knocked the new off the car very quickly!

For anyone else dreaming of driving to Alaska, my opinion is to do it as soon as you possibly can! It's an awesome trip, and we were fortunate enough to do it 7 times during (once on a motorcycle and also flew it 3 times in small planes) our years up there! It's a beautiful drive and one you'll never forget!

We just came back from an 1800 mile trip picking up a new puppy, (we love any excuse for a good road trip) and used the rear camera during the entire drive since we had the back cargo full and obstructed the mirror view. Many of the Touring options aren't a necessity, but once you have them, you grow to really appreciate them immensely.
We came form a Land Rover Discovery diesel, and while we loved that one, the dealer was way too far away and small issues were a pain to deal with. The Ascent Touring has been an awesome fit for us and has filled the SUV void very well. Good luck with finding the right one for the right price!

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
285 Posts
I've only done the ALCAN once, back in '97, but still remember the trip fondly. We purposely took it the slow and fun way, spending 8 days working our way down, alternating between camping and hotels depending on our mood or needs each night. Super amazing trip, but yeah, can be rough on a car, that's for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi fellow Subie groupies!

After a LOT of thinking, I’m about to pull the trigger on putting a deposit down on a new Ascent. The (quiet yet frumpy and expensive!!) Honda Pilot gave it a run for its money, but I so fondly remember my 2013 Outback Limited (selling that thing last year was a big mistake!) that I think it’s time to return to a trusty Subaru rather than venture to an untested Honda. I also live in Alaska and have a hard time believing what feels like at least 50% of people here are wrong about the most appropriate Alaska vehicle - Outbacks still dominate our roads, but Ascents are also everywhere.

Anyway, I need to pick an Ascent trim. Both a Touring and Limited (with pano roof, nav, better speakers, etc) are available at roughly the same ETA. I don’t need all of the Touring bells and whistles and prefer the Limited’s blue color option but I will pay for the quieter, cushier trim if there is indeed a difference between the two. Finding any Ascents to repeatedly test drive is impossible, so I can’t directly compare how each trim feels. Can someone help? Are they different? I saw someone on this forum’s anecdote that the Touring absolutely rode better than the Limited, which has really complicated my decision (had nearly settled on the Limited when I read that!). As an engineer, I have a very hard time seeing Subie make major design tweaks between the two upper trims. What can y’all tell me about this?

Also welcome your two cents about the silver colored Touring. I’ve never been crazy about silver cars, but maybe this one looks okay with all the chrome accents elsewhere on the car? My dream would be the blue Touring with the brown leather but that’s not viable given dealer stock (or lack thereof) and my timing. First world problem, right?
I just bought Ascent Touring last week. After two weeks and a dozen test drives of other cars. The Ascent drives better than our 2020 X5 and we thought that car drove wonderful. Ascent is excellent.

·
Registered
154 Posts

After a LOT of thinking, I’m about to pull the trigger on putting a deposit down on a new Ascent. The (quiet yet frumpy and expensive!!) Honda Pilot gave it a run for its money, but I so fondly remember my 2013 Outback Limited (selling that thing last year was a big mistake!) that I think it’s time to return to a trusty Subaru rather than venture to an untested Honda. I also live in Alaska and have a hard time believing what feels like at least 50% of people here are wrong about the most appropriate Alaska vehicle - Outbacks still dominate our roads, but Ascents are also everywhere.

Anyway, I need to pick an Ascent trim. Both a Touring and Limited (with pano roof, nav, better speakers, etc) are available at roughly the same ETA. I don’t need all of the Touring bells and whistles and prefer the Limited’s blue color option but I will pay for the quieter, cushier trim if there is indeed a difference between the two. Finding any Ascents to repeatedly test drive is impossible, so I can’t directly compare how each trim feels. Can someone help? Are they different? I saw someone on this forum’s anecdote that the Touring absolutely rode better than the Limited, which has really complicated my decision (had nearly settled on the Limited when I read that!). As an engineer, I have a very hard time seeing Subie make major design tweaks between the two upper trims. What can y’all tell me about this?

Also welcome your two cents about the silver colored Touring. I’ve never been crazy about silver cars, but maybe this one looks okay with all the chrome accents elsewhere on the car? My dream would be the blue Touring with the brown leather but that’s not viable given dealer stock (or lack thereof) and my timing. First world problem, right?
Though I'm now targeting a Forester to buy and not an Ascent, I did a ton of research on the Ascent and I can't imagine there are any mechanical differences between the two that would lead to a difference in ride quality or road noise. I can tell you most (if not all) of the differences though.
  • Touring is 7 Passenger only. No 8-Passenger option (2nd row bench)
  • Touring has Java Brown interior, Limited has ivory, both have black
  • Touring has more chrome and wood accents 🤢🤮
  • Touring has Ventilated Seats (probably not relevant in Alaska, but big here in Oklahoma)
  • Touring has Power folding side mirrors
  • Touring has a camera based smart rear-view mirror (digital display built into the mirror)
  • Touring has a 120V AC outlet
  • Touring has a Front view camera
  • Touring has Rain sensing wipers (not mentioned on Subaru's site for some reason. Only in the manual)
So there are a several comfort features on the touring that can make a big difference in user experience. When you factor the technology package (Moonroof, HK Audio, and Nav) into the price of the Limited the difference is only $2,900. Considering you are spending over $40K that really isn't a huge jump for what you get.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I'm going to go against the crowd and say I love the silver on the Ascent. I am not normally a fan of silver cars, but the light blue tinge in the Ice Silver color on the Subaru makes all the difference as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
73 Posts

My dealership tried offering over selling price of what I purchased it for and I have 2019 Premium- I requested it didn’t have a sunroof. Looking back I should’ve went the Touring and sunroof. There is a lot of issues with it but in the End my vehicle has saved us with others being reckless, close calls and through damage. It’s road quiet. Overall I’m still pretty good with my Ascent. If my dealership offers over $50k that serious money- Serious Upgrade to the Fully Electric Outback that’s coming out.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
6 Posts
Well I'm going to go against the crowd and say I love the silver on the Ascent. I am not normally a fan of silver cars, but the light blue tinge in the Ice Silver color on the Subaru makes all the difference as far as I am concerned.
I agree. I have owned Silver Limited for a year now. I love everything about the car so far. We were debating whether we should go for Touring as well but did not want to pay for options we weren’t going to be using. I think silver hides dust in the summertime and white after snow residue in the winter pretty well. Less car wash visits for me

21 - 40 of 56 Posts