Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an email from Subaru, saying to update the head unit and follow the instructions in the email. I'm an IT professional, so I understand everything they explain.

When connected to our home WiFi (plenty of signal, speed tests from inside the car on other devices like phone or laptop are great with low latency), the car reports no updates.

I don't have the versions right here with me, but, the version that the email/PDF had, and the version in our car, show it definitely needs updating. (Took delivery of car back in Sept I think).

So, followed the further instructions in the PDF to create an account on the website, to add the vehicle, and then to follow the instructions to download/create USB install. When I add the car by VIN number, I get an error:

The configuration of your vehicle in the Portal is not complete.
Please contact your retailer/dealer.

When I then run the software on my computer, and login, it's got the car, but gives the same error.

I contacted my sales rep, as he wants hands on personal service with our car. They are an awesome dealership, I've dealt with many, and they are the best we've ever worked with.

His response was basically, "let the dealer do it". I won't give the full details of the response, but, he's indicating you can brick the head unit, it doesn't work well, and let the dealer do it. They're not trying to get $$, I'm not worried about that.

It just seems to me like there's some switch or something they've not flipped to "activate" the car or something in whatever portal this is.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but, Subaru wants to distribute the updates through the owners, and while I'm sure there are occasional problems, I look here and see a bunch of y'all updating.

What should I do? Just give in and let them do it? I'd really rather do it ourselves because I'm sure there are 1 or more a year that would be nice to do. Like I said, they really are a great dealership, but I feel like this is just something they're not wanting to release control over... or something...

Thoughts? Thanks everyone, love this site!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would let the dealership do the update and ask if you can be present in the car to watch and see what they are doing different than you did. I would also let them know that you are an IT guy( I'm assuming), so you understand a lot of this "stuff". Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,126 Posts
I believe that there have been other posts with similar issues. The dealer needed to release your vin on soa's system. Once it's released you'll be able to complete your account registration and get your own updates.

My Subaru dealer had me open the account on my phone on the day I signed all the papers. They wanted to make sure I had access to the updates and that the My Subaru app could see the car.

Haven't read a single report on here of any owner bricking the headunit even when updates are failures.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
417 Posts
Agreed, just sounds like a flag in a database somewhere that didn't get updated. Hopefully once the dealer does the update the issue will be resolved.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I took a few weeks before all the behind the scenes stuff happened and I was able to access it.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent
57 Posts
I just did the update / not ota. I remember paying the 75 for the start thing and then they signed me up on that Subaru maps portal.
Like others have suggested... let them do the update AND ensure they flip the switch their side so the next update you can easily do yourself.

good luck - and remember... everything happens for a reason.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's been a couple of years, but took almost 3 months after delivery of my 2019 Touring for it finally allowed me to download and update the head unit.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
The dealership MUST complete the portal configuration, regardless of them updating the head unit. Please explain to them that the instructions they need are in STIS and SubaruNet, and the process must be completed properly. Failing to have that done will mean problems down the road, as well as with certain connected services.

At that point (once the portal configuration is complete), either you or the dealership can complete the update via USB.

OTA WiFi updates are done in stages, and no one can do a WIFI update until Harman Kardon adds your VIN to the "update queue".

NOTE:
It IS possible there's something wrong with the telematics unit causing the process to fail (or appear to succeed, but not really succeeding). If that IS the case, then the telematics unit or head unit will need to be replaced, and the units will need to be registered in the relevant internal portals, which will include Harman Kardon's, AT&T's and Subaru's. I think that process is a lot more streamlined for the dealerships nowadays, but, regardless, the instructions are very thorough and available to all 632 dealerships in their portal.

Got an email from Subaru, saying to update the head unit and follow the instructions in the email. I'm an IT professional, so I understand everything they explain.

When connected to our home WiFi (plenty of signal, speed tests from inside the car on other devices like phone or laptop are great with low latency), the car reports no updates.

I don't have the versions right here with me, but, the version that the email/PDF had, and the version in our car, show it definitely needs updating. (Took delivery of car back in Sept I think).

So, followed the further instructions in the PDF to create an account on the website, to add the vehicle, and then to follow the instructions to download/create USB install. When I add the car by VIN number, I get an error:

When I then run the software on my computer, and login, it's got the car, but gives the same error.

I contacted my sales rep, as he wants hands on personal service with our car. They are an awesome dealership, I've dealt with many, and they are the best we've ever worked with.

His response was basically, "let the dealer do it". I won't give the full details of the response, but, he's indicating you can brick the head unit, it doesn't work well, and let the dealer do it. They're not trying to get $$, I'm not worried about that.

It just seems to me like there's some switch or something they've not flipped to "activate" the car or something in whatever portal this is.

I'm not trying to be a pain, but, Subaru wants to distribute the updates through the owners, and while I'm sure there are occasional problems, I look here and see a bunch of y'all updating.

What should I do? Just give in and let them do it? I'd really rather do it ourselves because I'm sure there are 1 or more a year that would be nice to do. Like I said, they really are a great dealership, but I feel like this is just something they're not wanting to release control over... or something...

View attachment 11206

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealership MUST complete the portal configuration, regardless of them updating the head unit......
Robert, you think if I just let them do it this 1st time (I'm sure they'd do USB), they'd have to make sure everything is activated in all 3 systems you've mentioned? Then I'd be good to go after that?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I hope so. Worst case, they do the update, and then have to update the entries in the portal later, which they should be able to do without you or the car, if they stored the necessary information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hope so. Worst case, they do the update, and then have to update the entries in the portal later, which they should be able to do without you or the car, if they stored the necessary information.
Thanks for the info, Robert. And thanks for the other replies from everyone else. I REALLY do like our Dealer, and our Sales Rep, they are fantastic. But, this is just silly. I'd understand if everyone on here was reporting that they're bricking their head units, and Subaru rolled out something too early, or HK was messing things up... but this system of updates seems mature enough to me to let it go to the end users if they want.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Yes, the updates are fine for the end users to do. But, that's a different problem than the various portals not yet being updated to show your vehicle or that you own it.

The head units and telematics systems remain unregisterable to an end user until after purchase, to prevent a malicious non-owner from simply entering in VINs and taking over certain systems in the cars, like tracking, remote start, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts

View attachment 11206
Took us 5 minutes. This was probably 3 rd update on our 2019 touring, easy peasy every time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had something similar. I could not "talk" to my car through the internet. The dealer replaced the head unit and there was still nothing. Finally, they replaced the unit above the mirror still no luck. Finally, the dealer just pushed the blue or red button in for a few seconds to reset and it worked! I didn't need a new head unit after all. I live an hour away from the dealer and it was a pain getting this fixed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They (dealer) are chasing it down. I've given them everything I can. They're not sure what to do about it, but, they are trying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the updates are fine for the end users to do. But, that's a different problem than the various portals not yet being updated to show your vehicle or that you own it.

The head units and telematics systems remain unregisterable to an end user until after purchase, to prevent a malicious non-owner from simply entering in VINs and taking over certain systems in the cars, like tracking, remote start, etc.
Robert, if they aren't able to figure this out, do you have any other suggestions? Are we able to talk to Subaru directly? Would another dealer have the ability to help or is this "switch" or whatever it is, limited to the original dealer?

I really, really like this dealership, so I'm not dogging on them in any way. But, this is clearly something they aren't familiar with.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I've reached out to you privately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.