Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife's Ascent in for some work today and got a 2021 Ascent as a loaner. The suspension feels so nice. Not soft and squishy like the 2019? Anyone know what they did to change it? I don't see any mentions of suspension changes on any websites. I really want to make ours feel like a 2021.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,170 Posts
I don't think any changes have been made to the suspension tuning. Maybe it's just the tightness of new parts and bushings and such. Does the 2021 have 20" wheels and your 2019 has 18" wheels? Does the 2021 have more air pressure in the tires than your 2019? These factors can influence how "tight" things feel from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Took my 2019 in for the fuel pump and they also gave me a 2021 loaner. I notice the same thing. It doesn’t dip when turning like my 2019 does. The one difference is this is the base model with 18” tires and mine had 20s.

Also, I need one of those cup holder inserts for my 2019.

·
Super Moderator
2,431 Posts
Anytime you switch to a vehicle 2 model years newer than what you’re used to you’re going to feel the difference. Your 2019 probably felt exactly like the 2021 when you first drove it off the lot

·
Registered
94 Posts
The corner handling was always my #1 issue with the vehicle from the time I test drove. This is different, but it can be as simple as the tires.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
There are strut part number differences between the 2019 and 2020. It looks like simply a minor revision number. I cannot see the 2021 part numbers yet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The one area I’m not content with,the suspension.Any driving over jagged potholes or cracks in the road the Ascent will let you know they’re there.When I had the fuel pump replaced the dealer loaned me a ‘20 Outback ,l purposely drove over every pothole I saw and the Outback conquered.I know it’s a different size vehicle but man I wish the Ascent had the same quietness and comfort going over bad pavement .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A larger wheel size would make it more solid not squishy. Its not just a feeling. My 2019 has 7000 miles on it so its basically brand new. Im a mechanic and can tell differences. Obviously they refined the shocks and springs, maybe even the swaybars or bushings. I will have to do some more research.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd be interested to know what you find out on this - so please update this thread with your findings. That's one of my gripes with my 2020 touring and I really notice the difference cornering even vs a 2020 premium I had as a loaner due to the weight difference between them. If they did tweak it I'd love to figure out if there's a way to improve the existing setup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I did a bunch of research, and found the only difference between the cars is the following:
Springs: Base/Premium and Limited/Touring have different springs due to the moon roof, all 3 years have same part numbers.
Shocks: Shocks are the same on 2020-2021, but different on 2019. This is the only difference I have found.(no difference for trim levels or packages)
Front Swaybar: all 3 years use a 24mm(24.50mm with micrometer) front swaybar, and 19mm(19.40 with micrometer) rear swaybar.

In conclusion the shock absorbers appear to be the only difference in suspension components. The shock absorbers can be sourced for $150/each aprox. from subaru. This seems like a good upgrade. I am also installing the Sway bar bushings and transmission bushing that is sold by a forum guy here with harder materials.

I might get the 2020-2021 shocks, and the Eibach pro lift springs, they are +1.7 inch front, +1.4 inch rear, and slightly higher spring rate.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,170 Posts
It would be good to figure out if there really was a damping rate change with the new shock part numbers. It may have been for something completely unrelated, like maybe reconfiguration for a different dust boot attachment (as a notional example). I'm not saying there's NOT a change in damping rate, but it would be great to have confirmation from Subaru before potentially spending money to change.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,170 Posts
Having said that, the part numbers for BOTH front and rear shocks having been changed is definitely indicative of something like a damping change. Very interesting!

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Having said that, the part numbers for BOTH front and rear shocks having been changed is definitely indicative of something like a damping change. Very interesting!
Or that they switched suppliers from the one that made the improperly tapered springs. That too would result in a part number revision. I wish I knew which.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I did a bunch of research, and found the only difference between the cars is the following:
Springs: Base/Premium and Limited/Touring have different springs due to the moon roof, all 3 years have same part numbers.
Shocks: Shocks are the same on 2020-2021, but different on 2019. This is the only difference I have found.(no difference for trim levels or packages)
Front Swaybar: all 3 years use a 24mm(24.50mm with micrometer) front swaybar, and 19mm(19.40 with micrometer) rear swaybar.

In conclusion the shock absorbers appear to be the only difference in suspension components. The shock absorbers can be sourced for $150/each aprox. from subaru. This seems like a good upgrade. I am also installing the Sway bar bushings and transmission bushing that is sold by a forum guy here with harder materials.

I might get the 2020-2021 shocks, and the Eibach pro lift springs, they are +1.7 inch front, +1.4 inch rear, and slightly higher spring rate.
View attachment 5052
The Eibach pro lift springs are definitely worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Newb here.. I drove a '19 buyback this weekend to get a feel for the car. On city pavement with expansion joints, driving 35-45 mph, car had an appreciable pitching...fore and aft. Only time I've experienced this with other cars is with very taught suspension, or short wheelbase. Is this behavior common on Ascents of any model year?

(btw tires were at 34 on the left, 35 on the right...so shouldn't have been a pressure issue)

·
Registered
21 Posts

View attachment 5052
This is a really interesting area to look into. Thanks for digging into this Drashkar!

Since Subaru has similar platforms and many interchangeable parts between models, I am curious to see if stiffer sway bars or other components could be implemented from other models. On my 2015 Outback, I was able to swap in a sway bar from a WRX maybe? I can't remember the details but it was an identical sway bar in length and shape except for being just a bit thicker diameter for the backend of the Outback. Made a world of difference. I remember that at the time I found two other sway bars that would fit, one being mildly more aggressive, the other being from an STI model (I think?. its been five years so it's a scratchy memory) and I figured was way overkill in stiffness. But if there were two Subaru sway bar alternatives I could find then, I wonder if we could find some options for the Ascent in the Subaru parts catalog now. I also like the Bilstein and Eibach ideas above, though I would be looking for a non-lifted option. Or at least not much lift.

I have a 21' Ascent on order and I am already interested in seeing what I can do to improve the handling a bit.

Having driven new 19" and 20" Ascents as service dept. loaners (premium level I think?) I feel like the 21" handles better as well. But I know that can be a very mental thing and hard to compare with driving them back to back in the same day.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Since Subaru has similar platforms and many interchangeable parts between models, I am curious to see if stiffer sway bars or other components could be implemented from other models.
I'd be surprised if they fit. The Ascent is quite wider (and a lot heavier), which means, it's the only SGP with its own suspension components. For instance, the rear suspension arms are the same across many models of Subies - except the Ascent. Our sway bars are also mounted differently than the rest of the 8.7" ground clearance Subies, because the Ascent does NOT have a factory lift kit. The Outback (lifted Legacy), Crosstrek (lifted Impreza) and Forester (lifted based on a modified version of the Impreza) do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd be surprised if they fit. The Ascent is quite wider (and a lot heavier), which means, it's the only SGP with its own suspension components. For instance, the rear suspension arms are the same across many models of Subies - except the Ascent. Our sway bars are also mounted differently than the rest of the 8.7" ground clearance Subies, because the Ascent does NOT have a factory lift kit. The Outback (lifted Legacy), Crosstrek (lifted Impreza) and Forester (lifted based on a modified version of the Impreza) do.
That is a depressing, but very accurate point haha. I suspect I'll have to start searching aftermarket then. Never done an aftermarket sway bar upgrade, but there is a first time for everything! If anyone has even make anything like that for an Ascent, which will be hard to find I suspect... I'll be looking into other handling tweaks as well though. Just dug into Fox and Bilstein a bit. We will see what options present themselves.

·
Administrator
10,968 Posts
Well, good news is, as soon as something is available, I'll be sure to let the world know. And, if you beat me to it, please, let us all know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts