Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Limited
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awaiting delivery on our new 2021 Ascent Limited. Very excited! Traded in our 2006 Subaru Outback and ready to make this our new camping / adventure vehicle.
Hoping to swap wheels (black rhino sandstorms unfortunately out of stock) and get tow hitch installed soon after it arrives. Pictures to follow!

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Best wishes for you with your new Ascent. My wife and I have been loving our new Ascent.
do us a favor and check your oil level. make sure your Ascent was off long enough for the oil to drain back into the pan. when you take out the dip stick, clean it and reinsert it. Remove it and hold it vertical so the thin oil does not drain up the stick and note the lower of the two readings (one side or the other of the stick).

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
108 Posts
do us a favor and check your oil level. make sure your Ascent was off long enough for the oil to drain back into the pan. when you take out the dip stick, clean it and reinsert it. Remove it and hold it vertical so the thin oil does not drain up the stick and note the lower of the two readings (one side or the other of the stick).
Just checked the oil level. Car hasn't been used all day, it's on level ground in the garage. The oil level is about 1/4 inch over the full mark.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Just checked the oil level. Car hasn't been used all day, it's on level ground in the garage. The oil level is about 1/4 inch over the full mark.
Thank you. A number of other owners with all Ascent years have this experience. In fact it is not just Subaru. Many posts on this issue. Subaru and owners trying to figure its specific cause other than high pressure injection and what mifht be solution. Some dilution of fuel is normal. I have a 2019 limited and have enjoyed it despite a few warranty items.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Just bought a 2021 Limited. How long should it sit before checking? Should i contact dealership we bought from if oil level is high?
I would have the dealership remove the excess oil and then check again in a week or so. Get a copy of the report so you have a record of it. If the level again is high after they pull some out, I would contact SOA (Subaru of America) about it. This is about documenting the status early on. If the second time it is high I would ask for the regional SOA engineer to get involved and get a copy of that report. I would also at that time ask for an oil lab analysis that included a chromatography test.

Having it sit a couple of hours should be more than enough time. the Subaru manual oil check protocol does not require that length of sit time. Take a photo and or video of the oil check.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would have the dealership remove the excess oil and then check again in a week or so. Get a copy of the report so you have a record of it. If the level again is high after they pull some out, I would contact SOA (Subaru of America) about it. This is about documenting the status early on. If the second time it is high I would ask for the regional SOA engineer to get involved and get a copy of that report. I would also at that time ask for an oil lab analysis that included a chromatography test.

Having it sit a couple of hours should be more than enough time. the Subaru manual oil check protocol does not require that length of sit time. Take a photo and or video of the oil check.
Why are you wanting to check the oil to an extreme. Drain some out ? Why ,what I'm asking is why make it a problem where none exist. The oil usage problems were fixed a long time ago.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Why are you wanting to check the oil to an extreme. Drain some out ? Why ,what I'm asking is why make it a problem where none exist. The oil usage problems were fixed a long time ago.
this is the opposite of an oil use problem, ie: burning oil. It appears that the issue is that when they fill it at the dealership they overfill because they do not allow for sufficient drainage. they in fact have been draining oil after an overfill. I am due for another oil change in a about two thousand miles so we shall see once again if it occurs. some posters have noted that their oil level is fine when they have the dealer change the oil, IF, they have the tire rotation done at the same time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts