Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has got to be simple but I cannot figure it out.... HELP!!!!

So... we have not had an issue at all until we brought it into Trim-Line for the clear bra. WE are displeased with a few things that should have NEVER been touched... primarily the radio.

For whatever reason.... every time we start up now, the radio defaults to ONE STATION, regardless of what station you are on. My wife listens to country and have all presets done. When she starts now, it defaults to 107.7 which is NOT where she left it... TRUST ME! The type of music is irrelevant... but its NOT what she listens to. IT NEVER did this prior to Trim-Line visit.

107.7 is NOT in the presets anywhere, but defaults there every time and she is PISSED!

Furthermore, When she first got in after picking it up, she hooked up her phone ( as usual... plug it in and start the car) and it acted like her phone was NEVER plugged in) after I connected and reconnected a few times, it started working properly but that was weird. Android Auto was greyed out.. and voice commands wouldn't work etc. I believe THAT is remedied now.

Am I missed something in the settings that does this? I'm hoping somebody can help me out.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
If you haven't already done this, I would suggest going back to square one and delete her phone and her driver profile. Make sure when you re-pair her phone and create a new profile you are using her key fob.

You will have to put in her radio presets into her driver profile again and hopefully that will fix the problem.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
This has got to be simple but I cannot figure it out.... HELP!!!!

So... we have not had an issue at all until we brought it into Trim-Line for the clear bra. WE are displeased with a few things that should have NEVER been touched... primarily the radio.

For whatever reason.... every time we start up now, the radio defaults to ONE STATION, regardless of what station you are on. My wife listens to country and have all presets done. When she starts now, it defaults to 107.7 which is NOT where she left it... TRUST ME! The type of music is irrelevant... but its NOT what she listens to. IT NEVER did this prior to Trim-Line visit.

107.7 is NOT in the presets anywhere, but defaults there every time and she is PISSED!

Furthermore, When she first got in after picking it up, she hooked up her phone ( as usual... plug it in and start the car) and it acted like her phone was NEVER plugged in) after I connected and reconnected a few times, it started working properly but that was weird. Android Auto was greyed out.. and voice commands wouldn't work etc. I believe THAT is remedied now.

Am I missed something in the settings that does this? I'm hoping somebody can help me out.
In terms of Android Auto, there is a specific sequence of connecting and disconnecting for all to go well. The vehicle MUST be on before plugging or disconnecting the phone.

Use a high quality USB cord.

In terms of the radio, it is obvious to me that someone at the factory simply does not like her type of country. In all seriousness, I just looked up 107.7 and determined that it is an iHeart station. This has occurred for me as well at times after I listen through iHeart as compared to simply dialing it in through the radio. I think you need to close the app for it to no longer default to it. I believe that is the heart (pun intended) of your dilemma.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The root of the problem is not the connection of the phone... as she starts it remotely, 107.7 is ALWAYS default station.... it wasn't like this before.... it makes no sense!!!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The root of the problem is not the connection of the phone... as she starts it remotely, 107.7 is ALWAYS default station.... it wasn't like this before.... it makes no sense!!!
I am sorry, I am not at all clear on your comment here. the Android Auto connection problem ("acted like her phone was NEVER plugged in" ) is in fact resolved through the protocol I described. when you state starting "remotely" are you referring to a wireless connection? In that case it is not an Android Auto connection but rather a Bluetooth connection.

In any case, I still think that the issue is that iHeart has remained on within the iHeart app and has nothing really to do with the headunit itself. when you look at the headunit display do you see the iheart symbol as bing active? I believe If so that is the reason it comes up as default. It is a setting on the phone not the car. I believe you have bluetooth auto-play enabled on the phone.

"Understanding Bluetooth Autoplay on Android
What essentially happens when you connect a Bluetooth device that sends an autoplay command is that this command is seen as a KeyEvent for toggle play/pause in Android. Applications with a MediaButtonReceiver broadcast receiver can then react to this Media Button event.
But if you have multiple applications that can react to this intent, how does Android know which application to actually start playback? How it works is that Android keeps track of the last application that requests to receive Media Button events. Any new media application can take over to listen to Media Button key events by calling setMediaButtonReceiver in AudioManager, and that application will handle Media Button key events until another application requests control. You can actually see which application is currently set to respond to these key events by entering the following ADB command:"

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi tgrisko

Did you try to reboot the head unit? Hold the volume/mute button down and don't release until you see the Starlink banner.

I wonder what is so special about 107.7, I think the last number on the FM dial is 107.9. Is 107.7 the strongest signal in your area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED! Somewhat......

I appreciate all the insight. So... as described. EVERY TIME we started the car, 107.7 was on the radio. She looked up how to do a factory reset and performed it.... didn't work. Then I suggested to put her station on, THEN do a factory reset. VOILA!!!! NOW, after leaving it on her station and doing a factory reset, it ALWAYS defaults to HER station.

This still is unlike ANY radio I have ever messed with where it doesn't remember your last station when you exit. WEIRD!!!!

We are still having issues with the connectivity of her phone ( Galaxy Note 9 ), intermittently.... we will erase her profile and start over and hopefully that corrects this issue.

Thanks all for the insight... much appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am sorry, I am not at all clear on your comment here. the Android Auto connection problem ("acted like her phone was NEVER plugged in" ) is in fact resolved through the protocol I described. when you state starting "remotely" are you referring to a wireless connection? In that case it is not an Android Auto connection but rather a Bluetooth connection.

In any case, I still think that the issue is that iHeart has remained on within the iHeart app and has nothing really to do with the headunit itself. when you look at the headunit display do you see the iheart symbol as bing active? I believe If so that is the reason it comes up as default. It is a setting on the phone not the car. I believe you have bluetooth auto-play enabled on the phone.

"Understanding Bluetooth Autoplay on Android
What essentially happens when you connect a Bluetooth device that sends an autoplay command is that this command is seen as a KeyEvent for toggle play/pause in Android. Applications with a MediaButtonReceiver broadcast receiver can then react to this Media Button event.
But if you have multiple applications that can react to this intent, how does Android know which application to actually start playback? How it works is that Android keeps track of the last application that requests to receive Media Button events. Any new media application can take over to listen to Media Button key events by calling setMediaButtonReceiver in AudioManager, and that application will handle Media Button key events until another application requests control. You can actually see which application is currently set to respond to these key events by entering the following ADB command:"

Iheart App has nothing to do with it as I dont even know what that is except its apple based and we done have apple products.

Kind of two problems... the defaulted station on startup is one that is now corrected. The second problem is not always connecting as it did before. We don't have a problem with remote start... works every time... the problem is on connection to the car via USB cord. The BT automatically connects without issue. I may try another cord, but this one has been working fine since a month ago. Maybe a coincident that we are having problems AFTER a service and things were messed with. Once she plugs in, SOMETIMES it works flawlessly.. others.... the charge light comes on as it should on the phone... and nothing happens. No voice control, no Android Auto.. nothing. Unplug... reconnect.... BOOM it works instantly.

Thanks for the details!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Iheart App has nothing to do with it as I dont even know what that is except its apple based and we done have apple products.

Kind of two problems... the defaulted station on startup is one that is now corrected. The second problem is not always connecting as it did before. We don't have a problem with remote start... works every time... the problem is on connection to the car via USB cord. The BT automatically connects without issue. I may try another cord, but this one has been working fine since a month ago. Maybe a coincident that we are having problems AFTER a service and things were messed with. Once she plugs in, SOMETIMES it works flawlessly.. others.... the charge light comes on as it should on the phone... and nothing happens. No voice control, no Android Auto.. nothing. Unplug... reconnect.... BOOM it works instantly.

Thanks for the details!
just for clarification - I use iheart on my Android phone and have no apple products.

This is the cable I use. I keep it wound up and plugged in all the time in the shelf so I only need to insert it into the phone and have it all tucked into the shelf out of the way of the cup holders and shifter. If I want I could also run it into the console and leave my phone there during the drive. There is a small cut out on the console lid for a cable to fit and it not smash it.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,880 Posts
This still is unlike ANY radio I have ever messed with where it doesn't remember your last station when you exit. WEIRD!!!!
Mine doesn't behave like that...it's always on the station that was playing last, whether it's my regular listen station or one of two alternatives I occasionally enjoy for specific content. This is consistent for my MY19 Ascent, our MY20 Forester Limited and even the older MY16 Outback Limited our daughter drives.

Reactions: xydadx3 and packout

·
Registered
197 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED! Somewhat......

I appreciate all the insight. So... as described. EVERY TIME we started the car, 107.7 was on the radio. She looked up how to do a factory reset and performed it.... didn't work. Then I suggested to put her station on, THEN do a factory reset. VOILA!!!! NOW, after leaving it on her station and doing a factory reset, it ALWAYS defaults to HER station.

We are still having issues with the connectivity of her phone ( Galaxy Note 9 ), intermittently.... we will erase her profile and start over and hopefully that corrects this issue.

Thanks all for the insight... much appreciated!
Small victories am I right? I am glad you corrected the radio problem.

If resetting the profile does not fix, I agree with what packout said, you should try another USB cable.
I had issues with Android Auto and my Samsung S9 cable. It would disconnect randomly or moving the phone, so I swapped it for a generic USB cable from Five Below ($6 lol) and it seem to correct my problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts