Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've owned the Ascent since mid-July. We have under 3,000. Now that we've come to know the car, neither of us really want to drive it. It rides nice, but it's an annoying car to drive. Our other car is a 2020 BMW X5. I will say the Subie rides almost as nice as the X5, and it has comfortable leather seats as well. However, we just don't like driving it.

The infotainment center, or whatever they call it, is cumbersome. I don't like how you can only navigate via touch screen.

The glove box is comically small

If you have an oversized load and need to tie down the lift gate...it beeps the entire way home.

The car is always beeping about something. My God does it make a lot of noise.

The auto-braking is down right dangerous. Twice now it almost caused an accident on the highway. Car moves into my lane and the Subie slams on the brakes. Cars behind me have scatter to avoid hitting me. Both times there was zero reason to slam on the brakes like that.

Adaptive cruise almost put us into a guardrail. Just driving up the road and out of nowhere it jerked to the left.

Those incidents were enough to contact the dealer, who admitted that Eye-Sight is very clunky. They can't legally disarm it, but they did point us in right direction to permanently disable it. Since doing so, the car has been 100% more enjoyable to drive.

The dealer is coming out next week to look at taking it back. They also sell Volvo, so we are looking to trade for XC90. I had a 2010 Outback and loved it, but the Ascent, not so much. Thankfully we just leased it, so it's easier to get out of, assuming we stay with the same dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,857 Posts
I"m sad that you have not had a good experience with your Ascent. It happens and perhaps it's not the right vehicle for you and hopefully the Volvo will be a better fit.

I do have a couple of comments. Relative to the lift gate, the warning beep is because it's not supposed to be left open while traveling. This is fairly common today because of the aerodynamics of vehicles and the risk of exhaust being sucked into the cabin. It's best to use other methods for carrying things that do not fully fit in the cabin.

Adaptive cruise almost put us into a guardrail. Just driving up the road and out of nowhere it jerked to the left.
ACC doesn't steer the vehicle. it only controls speed and braking. The only difference between it and a non adaptive cruise is that it senses traffic speed and distance in front of you...that's the adaptive part. It sounds like the lane keeping assist was triggered by something. It's a separate feature of Eyesight and not part of ACC. It's easily disabled with a simple press of the button on the right side of the steering wheel that controls it. (I do not use this feature myself)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
34 Posts
In addition to what Jim said, I was where you seem to be right now with your Ascent and I'm certainly not going to try to convenience you to like your own car. I will tell you that it took me over six months to fully appreciate my Ascent. The safety features associated with EyeSight are for the most part configurable including the audible warning beeps. If you haven't done this already, to fully understand how things work and what you can do to configure systems to suit your driving and comfort level I highly recommend taking the time to fully read both the Owner's Manual and the separate EyeSight Manual. You might be surprised to find features that bring the Ascent more in line with your expectations. Of course if you do go with the Volvo XC90 you can't go wrong either. Personally and I may take some heat for this, I think the XC90 is in a class above the Ascent. Otherwise I hope you stay with the Ascent and take your time to explore this forum. There are numerous knowledgeable people that know most all things Subaru and Subaru Ascent that are willing to come to your assistance should you ask.
Take care and good luck!
John

·
Registered
156 Posts
The car is always beeping about something. My God does it make a lot of noise.

I feel your pain. My wife and I tried desperately to like our 2019 Ascent. However, repeated random flashing lights and beeps that occurred with no apparent reason just wore us out. Especially when we were on the road a long way from home. Our replacement has been blissfully quiet.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
Personally and I may take some heat for this, I think the XC90 is in a class above the Ascent.
The XC90 is absolutely in a class above the Ascent. The XC90 starts (at $49,000) higher than the Ascent tops out (about $47,000, depending on dealer add-ons). The XC90 is a luxury SUV designed to be a luxury SUV. The Ascent is a family hauler on par with an Outback -- just larger and with a third row. Though the Touring trim starts to compete on price with lower trims of some of the true luxury SUVs like Acura, Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc...the Ascent, at its core, is a Subaru with practicality and a certain "down to earthness" built-in. It starts at, what, $32,000 or somewhere in there? At its core, it's simply a less expensive vehicle than many of the ones with which it ends up competing.

There's an adage in real estate that you'd rather be in the smallest house in the upper class neighborhood than the largest house in the middle class neighborhood. I think the Ascent is very much like buying the big house in the middle class neighborhood. Yes, we have a ton of features for the price. We have a terrific AWD system that is hard to beat. The performance and reliability of the safety systems are, by and large, pretty incredible (OP's experience notwithstanding). But it's still sort of a "basic" SUV design with blue collar roots; just look at the front MacPherson struts for evidence of that -- most of the luxury class SUVs have more refined multilink front suspensions.

To @theprofessor, it's really a shame the EyeSight system and its functionality hasn't performed up to your expectation. The lane keep with lane centering (which comes on 2021 models) has been the topic of a few conversations here with similar reports to yours, where drivers report a hard pull towards one side of the road or another. If that's truly happening with the system, and it's seeing ghosts or whatever, I do hope they can fix that. Our 2020, with the standard lane keep assist, never asserts more than just a gentle nudge back into the lane if it senses unintentional departure, and it's been pretty pleasurable to use.

We have turned off some of the warning beeps. I especially didn't like the lead car acquisition beep, when using ACC. With the instrument cluster display and the heads-up LED display, I felt that two indicators of it acquiring a lead car were enough, and didn't need the third (the beep).

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
It also sounds like the dealer neglected to walk you through the settings menus, ACC has settings to allow more or less space in front of you and to decrease the aggressiveness of eyesight as well as the level of audible warnings. They do take getting used to for sure.
This!!! My fantastic Salesperson, Brian Goon, from @Liberty Subaru, on a day that hit 100°, started on the outside of the car, showed me everything from hitch cover, lift gate button and PIN/lock button, touch strips, approach lighting, etc, before he proceeded to the inside, had me get in the driver's seat, and then showed me every button, setting and lever in the car - and that's a lot on the Touring.

That's the #SubaruLovePromise in action!

@theprofessor feel free to make a list of anything you can't figure out, and I, and I'm sure many others here, will help you learn how to make your car a more pleasant drive.

...and if you do move on, wishing you the best with your next car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I came from an X5, albeit a 2011, and I found it to be a far more premium experience than my 2021 Ascent; I imagine your 2020 X5 would be even more so. I don’t think holding up your X5 against an Ascent is a fair comparison.

I’ve owned my 2021 Ascent since the beginning of July and just finished my second 2,200 mile road trip. I have nearly 7,500 miles on the clock. I have not experienced the issues listed by the OP and I really appreciate the beeps and warnings, especially when it’s 3am. In fact, the safety systems, convenience features, warning sounds, and additional cabin space makes the Ascent a better road-tripper than our X5.

Just this past weekend the Ascent drove itself for 19-hours; lane centering and adaptive cruise were engaged the entire time.

I am thrilled with my Ascent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yup, the Ascent does beep a lot. Especially when you don’t use your blinkers, accelerate too fast towards the car in front of you, or merge into a lane too close to the car already occupying that lane...

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
It's a love-hate relationship with some of the technology it seems. Largely there are more things to enjoy vs. things that annoy.

Would I be happier in a higher spec'd vehicle like an X7 or Lexus LX? Yes. Would I be paying out the nose for either of those vehicles to sit in my garage for the past 18 months, going largely undriven? Also Yes.

The Ascent puts a Value-first philosophy front and center, full stop. There are arguably few if any premium features or comfort items that make the Ascent stand out from its competition. Frankly speaking, if one is looking for a premium experience in the Ascent, one needs to make some serious recalibration of expectations.

The Ascent delivers exactly what it says it does. Not much more, not much less. Safety is given a priority in this and all other Subarus. All things considered, the vehicle is remarkably unremarkable in terms of luxury or premium experience.

The amount of "buyers remorse" posts the past few days seems to indicate that the marketing material is luring in a different segment of buyer, or convincing them, at least, that the Ascent is a premium product somehow. It's good. Arguably great in some areas. It is not premium.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
The amount of "buyers remorse" posts the past few days seems to indicate that the marketing material is luring in a different segment of buyer, or convincing them, at least, that the Ascent is a premium product somehow. It's good. Arguably great in some areas. It is not premium.
There's been no change in the marketing - unless you could a tremendous decrease in marketing. 😉

I'm wondering if there's a competitor who's just released (or about to release) something new that they think competes? When Kia released the Telluride, companies associated with promoting and/or selling the car spammed the heck out of here and elsewhere with fake complaints (some horribly researched) and unbalanced comparisons. Doesn't mean that's what the influx is, but, whether not legit like that, or legit because another car company is doing a comparison that isn't merited (because of their vehicles being in a different class), or something else, I don't know.

Regardless, it's not an advertising change. Subaru seems to have no interest in being portrayed in or competing with the luxury market. GM made the mistake of trying that with them way back, and it backfired miserable.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
I think the Ascent was long intended as a step-up vehicle for current Subaru owners who have sized-out of the Outback or Forester. I don't think it was intended as a conquest vehicle to get other shoppers into the Subaru brand. And many early reviews of it tended to read as such...stating things like, "if you like Subarus, then you'll love the Ascent."

It seems like it's had such wide appeal, though, that it's often compared with vehicles outside of its price class. And, to be fair, shoppers bringing nearly $50k to the table do indeed have the choice of a loaded Ascent Touring or something like an entry level XC60 or X5 or MDX, etc. So I think it is sometimes cross-shopped against some of those premium brands. Buyers who are expecting a level of refinement commensurate with those other brands, though, forget that the Ascent is often punching above its weight, being, at its core, a $32,000 family 3-row.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,112 Posts
The current summary Consumer Reports doesn't even list the Ascent on the three-row midsized SUV chart. They're still in love with the Telluride though.

In the last week, I've spent some time driving and also being second row passenger in a friend's 10000 miles Telluride. My impression of the Telluride is greatly diminished from a year and a half ago when I had a Telluride for a 24 hour test ride. I frequently rented Kia's and Hyundai's for business travel and found that they ran well but the interiors were falling apart. The same is true for my friend's Telluride. Several trim pierces were crooked, loose or buzzing. The paddingt in the second row seatbacks was thin with no contouring(captain chairs) The ride on bumps was jarring with lots of suspension noise. Seems like he'll be making use of the 100k warranty.

I did cross shop the Ascent against CX9, and RX350 and it didn't take a week off owning the Ascent to understand that the Ascent is an sUv. The others were Suv.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
The current summary Consumer Reports doesn't even list the Ascent on the three-row midsized SUV chart. They're still in love with the Telluride though.

In the last week, I've spent some time driving and also being second row passenger in a friend's 10000 miles Telluride. My impression of the Telluride is greatly diminished from a year and a half ago when I had a Telluride for a 24 hour test ride. I frequently rented Kia's and Hyundai's for business travel and found that they ran well but the interiors were falling apart. The same is true for my friend's Telluride. Several trim pierces were crooked, loose or buzzing. The paddingt in the second row seatbacks was thin with no contouring(captain chairs) The ride on bumps was jarring with lots of suspension noise. Seems like he'll be making use of the 100k warranty.

I did cross shop the Ascent against CX9, and RX350 and it didn't take a week off owning the Ascent to understand that the Ascent is an sUv. The others were Suv.
That'd be because they STILL haven't updated their predicted reliability data and are STILL using the 2018-2019 data. It's disgusting how behind they are. I honestly don't know why I am still paying them for two subscriptions when the only thing I use them for is researching cars, and they still are using 2-3 year old data for their predictions, even though their own charts show a different story.

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Circle

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
We really like our Ascent, but rattle-free it has not been. :( There are at least three buzzes in the front area. There's one VERY intermittent one at the EyeSight camera cover. I've seen that one noted here before, with tips on how to quiet that area with foam insulation. We have another consistent buzz at the interface between the plastic instrument cluster surround and the soft vinyl upper dash pad -- directly in front of the 12:00 position on the steering wheel. I've taken the two screws out of it and have worked different types of materials in there to quiet that buzz. I've gotten that one pretty good. The newest buzz is from the lower windshield area...and it's a road grain buzz...not there on smooth surfaces, but buzzy on grainy surfaces. I've pushed and prodded on every singe dash piece I can reach and nothing even touches that noise. However, moving the wipers did...so I think it may be from an exterior plastic molding that lays against the base of the windshield. I've yet to really investigate that one.

I'm super sensitive to rattles, buzzes, and noises in cars. Our Ascent's kept me busy with them.

·
Administrator
10,955 Posts
There's one VERY intermittent one at the EyeSight camera cover. I've seen that one noted here before, with tips on how to quiet that area with foam insulation.
There's a TSB with a fix for that. TSB 12-269-19. I've attached a copy of it here. There may be a newer revision to the TSB.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
7 Posts
We really like our Ascent, but rattle-free it has not been. :( There are at least three buzzes in the front area. There's one VERY intermittent one at the EyeSight camera cover. I've seen that one noted here before, with tips on how to quiet that area with foam insulation. We have another consistent buzz at the interface between the plastic instrument cluster surround and the soft vinyl upper dash pad -- directly in front of the 12:00 position on the steering wheel. I've taken the two screws out of it and have worked different types of materials in there to quiet that buzz. I've gotten that one pretty good. The newest buzz is from the lower windshield area...and it's a road grain buzz...not there on smooth surfaces, but buzzy on grainy surfaces. I've pushed and prodded on every singe dash piece I can reach and nothing even touches that noise. However, moving the wipers did...so I think it may be from an exterior plastic molding that lays against the base of the windshield. I've yet to really investigate that one.

I'm super sensitive to rattles, buzzes, and noises in cars. Our Ascent's kept me busy with them.
Had the same issue with the windshield molding. Disconnected in the middle and was rattling only when driving above 40mph. Dealer fixed it immediately during oil change. No issues since then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The XC90 is absolutely in a class above the Ascent. The XC90 starts (at $49,000) higher than the Ascent tops out (about $47,000, depending on dealer add-ons). The XC90 is a luxury SUV designed to be a luxury SUV. The Ascent is a family hauler on par with an Outback -- just larger and with a third row. Though the Touring trim starts to compete on price with lower trims of some of the true luxury SUVs like Acura, Audi, BMW, Lexus, etc...the Ascent, at its core, is a Subaru with practicality and a certain "down to earthness" built-in. It starts at, what, $32,000 or somewhere in there? At its core, it's simply a less expensive vehicle than many of the ones with which it ends up competing.

There's an adage in real estate that you'd rather be in the smallest house in the upper class neighborhood than the largest house in the middle class neighborhood. I think the Ascent is very much like buying the big house in the middle class neighborhood. Yes, we have a ton of features for the price. We have a terrific AWD system that is hard to beat. The performance and reliability of the safety systems are, by and large, pretty incredible (OP's experience notwithstanding). But it's still sort of a "basic" SUV design with blue collar roots; just look at the front MacPherson struts for evidence of that -- most of the luxury class SUVs have more refined multilink front suspensions.

To @theprofessor, it's really a shame the EyeSight system and its functionality hasn't performed up to your expectation. The lane keep with lane centering (which comes on 2021 models) has been the topic of a few conversations here with similar reports to yours, where drivers report a hard pull towards one side of the road or another. If that's truly happening with the system, and it's seeing ghosts or whatever, I do hope they can fix that. Our 2020, with the standard lane keep assist, never asserts more than just a gentle nudge back into the lane if it senses unintentional departure, and it's been pretty pleasurable to use.

We have turned off some of the warning beeps. I especially didn't like the lead car acquisition beep, when using ACC. With the instrument cluster display and the heads-up LED display, I felt that two indicators of it acquiring a lead car were enough, and didn't need the third (the beep).
It's a love-hate relationship with some of the technology it seems. Largely there are more things to enjoy vs. things that annoy.

Would I be happier in a higher spec'd vehicle like an X7 or Lexus LX? Yes. Would I be paying out the nose for either of those vehicles to sit in my garage for the past 18 months, going largely undriven? Also Yes.

The Ascent puts a Value-first philosophy front and center, full stop. There are arguably few if any premium features or comfort items that make the Ascent stand out from its competition. Frankly speaking, if one is looking for a premium experience in the Ascent, one needs to make some serious recalibration of expectations.

The Ascent delivers exactly what it says it does. Not much more, not much less. Safety is given a priority in this and all other Subarus. All things considered, the vehicle is remarkably unremarkable in terms of luxury or premium experience.

We bought this because of the safety. I thought it would be more like the Volvo and BMW. The safety features in those cars are less in your face. The Xc90 was our first choice but there were none available in my state. The third row was also a little smaller. The X7 had the same availability issues. But it’s also over $100,000. The X7 had almost 6-month wait.

I had a 2010 Outback and loved it. Not so much with the Ascent. It’s not that I hate it, it’s just no fun to drive.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts