Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At around 2000 miles, I smell raw gas in the garage a few min after car cools down from driving. Also, I was idling for 10 min and smell started entering inside through the vents.
I'm taking it in tomorrow to the dealer. Any other 2021 makes out there with this issue?

I have NOT found anyone on old forums with a solution. Is there one?

·
Registered
2019 Limited
31 Posts
I have a 2019 built in 2018. I was one of the early complainers about this and a rising oil level (due to fuel dilution). My oil level stopped rising (mostly) after the fuel pump recall, but the smell is back. Usually after multiple trips in one day and definitely after idling for a bit. Recirculate helps, but not always. Subaru's last word on this was that it's normal for this engine setup under these conditions to do this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check your oil when the vehicle is cool. Might be high, or at least that is my theory with something that is perhaps causing the odor. I have taken it back twice now to have oil level reduced; the first time they drained .5 liters and the smell went away. Last week, was having the issue again, the oil level was high, so they drained it and filled it with fresh oil this time. The odor seems to have disappeared.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I suspect the oil level is the cause of this issue as well. Can you post a picture of your oil dipstick? I have the oil level about 1/4 inch above the high point, dealer says its "normal"...
I checked this after 1000 miles after my last oil change...

Also it might be worth it to establish a reference point, do an oil change, measure, then drive and measure and so on...I plan to do this after my next oil change...

·
Registered
156 Posts
and do keep us posted on what resolution if any Subaru/dealer provides, it might help us tackle the problem as well :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not exactly a gas smell, but I do get exhaust smell in the car when idling in place. All windows are closed and air recirculation is on. If it persists, it goes in soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer had the car all day, drove it 3 seperate times and couldn't replicate the problem. One of the techs is taking it home to see if they smell it.
I'll update tomorrow once they advise.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dealer had the car all day, drove it 3 seperate times and couldn't replicate the problem. One of the techs is taking it home to see if they smell it.
I'll update tomorrow once they advise.
Ask them to check the exhaust around the turbo and exhaust manifold. We've had two Ascents with exhaust leaks causing an odour inside the cabin. (I manage Parts @ Gemini Motors Subaru in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada). We've replaced 14038 (exhaust manifold gaskets), 44616D (manifold to turbo), and 44184C (turbo to exhaust).

·
Registered
8 Posts
At around 2000 miles, I smell raw gas in the garage a few min after car cools down from driving. Also, I was idling for 10 min and smell started entering inside through the vents.
I'm taking it in tomorrow to the dealer. Any other 2021 makes out there with this issue?

Not exactly a gas smell, but I do get exhaust smell in the car when idling in place. All windows are closed and air recirculation is on. If it persists, it goes in soon.
Get it in right away, be very persistent, and document everything- everything in writing.... I have a 2019 with the same problem..been trying to resolve it for a year...EXTREMELY Frustrating...we have lemon laws in WI....I am currently looking into this option as Subaru has not provided a solution to this issue.

Raw gas vapor in the cabin of the vehicle- or on the outside of the vehicle is a DEFECT- I don't care what they say.

Love the vehicle, but customer support has been and continues to be a 100% disappointment. They also say fuel in your oil is normal-----really? It is amazing they continue to produce a vehicle that has these issues- now in its 3rd model year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Get it in right away, be very persistent, and document everything- everything in writing.... I have a 2019 with the same problem..been trying to resolve it for a year...EXTREMELY Frustrating...we have lemon laws in WI....I am currently looking into this option as Subaru has not provided a solution to this issue.

Raw gas vapor in the cabin of the vehicle- or on the outside of the vehicle is a DEFECT- I don't care what they say.

Love the vehicle, but customer support has been and continues to be a 100% disappointment. They also say fuel in your oil is normal-----really? It is amazing they continue to produce a vehicle that has these issues- now in its 3rd model year.
I got the car back last night. The techs could not replicate a problem. One took the car home and said he smelled a faint gas exhaust, not raw smell as I'm describing. They said they spoke with a "field engineer" who advised that a repair is in the works for fuel pressure release and will be released soon. He basically had nothing to add other than to file or open a claim with Subaru.

I wonder if I should contact another dealership. I'll have to look into the lemon law as I'm also in WI.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The techs could not replicate a problem. One took the car home and said he smelled a faint gas exhaust, not raw smell as I'm describing. They said they spoke with a "field engineer" who advised that a repair is in the works for fuel pressure release and will be released soon. He basically had nothing to add other than to file or open a claim with Subaru.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Annat- This is the same song and dance I have heard....press them for a date...they will likely have nothing...

Ask them to try again and repair....shows a log of their inability. As far as replicating the problem, we notice it when:

1. We drive the car so it warms to running temp.

2. Then we shut the car off.

3. When started again, the smell will start. If the car sits, it gets into the cabin. If you stop at a stop light you may notice it again.

Or ask them to come to your home and smell your garage when you shut the car off and it sits inside- there is no denying a smell is present.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, please let me know if they give you a date.
Also did you check the oil dipstick to ensure it was not overfilled? If its higher, it would be good to get an oil change done, and establish a measurement point. If that way the oil level goes up you can also present that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We had our windshield replaced yesterday... what is your experience with this? What should I know about brakes?

·
Registered
2019 Limited
31 Posts
We had our windshield replaced yesterday... what is your experience with this? What should I know about brakes?
I had Safelite do my windshield and the calibration, and they did a great job (it was a chip that led to a 2' crack). Brakes seem to start squealing around the 5k mark and then anytime after they are "fixed" and it's below 40 degrees (there are TSBs out for a fix). The rotors seem to be warping on a lot of Ascents around the 12k-16k mark. It feels wobbly when you are coming to stop from a high speed, like getting off the interstate and especially downhill. They turned them for me and they've been fine for 10k miles now.

Small things that were given small fixes, but not real changes in the production line. Hoping they really are working on a fix, but still wonder if the engine's long-term reliability has been compromised from the dilution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They seem thin- as in we have had three separate instances of a small rocks hitting it in the past year- and each time a crack or spider crack results....I think I have had two other instances of this in 25 years of driving....no science, just observation.

·
Registered
7 Posts

I have the same problem. 2021, 2k miles. Dealer says there isn’t a problem. Subaru stands w the dealer. This may be my first and last Subaru.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts