Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking to do a special order for the 2021 Ascent Limited. I don't care for the tech package, and its very hard to find a Limited without the tech package near me. A couple questions regarding the ordering process;

1.) Dealer said that the special offers now won't apply. That'd I'll get whatever financing is available when its delivered and I pick it up. Is this accurate? I thought I read in a different post that there's 2 contracts to sign, one now and one at pickup.

2.) We have the $500 customer loyalty from Subaru. Do I hold onto that until I pick up the car in 6-12 weeks? Or should I pull it out now before the order is placed?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
The first one is likely true...incentives available at time of delivery is somewhat normal in the industry. You may or may not have the same incentives available after your approximately 8 week wait for the vehicle but Subaru doesn't change them all that much and they are pretty much just about financing...zero or low rate (if you qualify), etc. Rumor has it you may get better pricing without the subsidized financing, but "your mileage may vary".

Your Loyalty Rebate is a form of payment...and as such, should not be part of your negotiation. The dealer doesn't need to know about it. In fact, some might try and take advantage of it to gain some profit.

Reactions: kinofist

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Hi All,

Looking to do a special order for the 2021 Ascent Limited. I don't care for the tech package, and its very hard to find a Limited without the tech package near me. A couple questions regarding the ordering process;

1.) Dealer said that the special offers now won't apply. That'd I'll get whatever financing is available when its delivered and I pick it up. Is this accurate? I thought I read in a different post that there's 2 contracts to sign, one now and one at pickup.

2.) We have the $500 customer loyalty from Subaru. Do I hold onto that until I pick up the car in 6-12 weeks? Or should I pull it out now before the order is placed?

Thanks!
Jim's post below is true. The incentives available for you to leverage are the ones at the time of delivery. It really shouldn't matter much since you can negotiate now the parameters of the pricing. You can forgo any financing incentives and negotiate a fixed lower price regardless of what financing may be available then. You can negotiate a clause that leverages the financing based on your required interest rate etc.

It is all negotiable. Typically you are actually better off if you come with your own financing and then negotiate with the dealer. You are then in a position of strength. Whether your financing comes from subaru or from your chosen bank, you still will need to qualify for the lowe3st interest rate. No on eis doing this for free or the goodness of their heart. You can calculate the overall savings from lower interest rates and build in the savings in the upfront negotiated price. If the sales person is not cooperative, walk away. Some dealer networks like AutoNation have one fixed price and will not negotiate. Personally I do not play that game. While I enjoy my AutoNation dealership service department I did not purchase my 2019 Limited through them. I bought the vehicle through an auto broker who negotiated with an AutoNation dealer and got a much lower price. I knew exactly what vehicle and what options I wanted so I simply put that in front of four dealerships and two auto brokers and got the best pricing for that configuration. A couple of sales reps at the dealerships tried to push me into a vehicle they had on the lot and I politely declined. When one persisted I was less polite.

The coupons from Subaru are separate and can be applied when final papers are signed at the time of delivery.

My suggestion is to order the vehicle with just the options you want, wait the two months and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
I was told the same as I am also researching for a 2021 Ascent. Dealer said incentive offers are at the time of delivery. They said to the effect that no bank is going to finance a vehicle that does not even exist yet.

Now, you can go in pre-approved with your bank with whatever interest rate and terms you are given. Your bank may allow those pre-approval terms to last for some time frame like 30 days (60 days??? Longer???) - it really depends on the bank. You would need to talk to your car loan bank agent accordingly. Again though, the dealer does not need to know that you have a loan setup and waiting already.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
What I do is negotiate a cash price, then ask what incentives/loans they have. They don't need to know if I actually have the cash or where I might be getting it, whether it's savings, home equity, bank loan, bank robbery, or whatever.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
overstocked auto inventory yields improved negotiations

"The top two on the overstocked list are in fact SUVs and they come from Mitsubishi, the Outlander and Eclipse Cross. Cox Automotive says the brand currently has the highest inventory in the industry, with dealers sitting on an average 155 days’ supply. Toyota and Subaru dealers tend to have the least excess inventory, especially on their most-popular models, while Cox says Ford and Nissan reported above-average inventory levels in early July, at 85 and 91 days, respectively. "

This translates to Subaru and Toyota are managing their inventory and sales better than other manufacturers so do not expect discounts on par with the other brands.

Subaru in fact leads the pack in the fastest selling new vehicle by brand.

Subaru ranking is impressive:
Fastest Selling New and Used Cars by Brand - iSeeCars Study
New CarsUsed Cars
RankBrandDays to Sell (Avg)BrandDays to Sell (Avg)
1Subaru56.1Tesla43.9
2Lexus69.6Honda52.5
3Toyota72.9INFINITI57.0
4BMW74.0BMW58.3
5Mercedes-Benz78.0Mazda58.5
6Mazda82.7Toyota59.1
7Volvo83.8Mini61.3
8Hyundai85.3Volkswagen64.1
9Audi87.1Hyundai64.9
10Kia87.4Dodge65.9
11Porsche87.6Ram66.2
12Honda92.0Subaru66.3