Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited 2021 Forester Premium
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems my 2021 Ascent Ltd is experiencing the same issue some 2019s have: fuel diluting the crankcase oil.

Twice now, I have removed the oil filter and replaced with a fresh one to get the oil level back to normal. It was about 1/4" above the "Max" hole on the dipstick. Within 100 miles of filter replacement, it would again creep back up to that level. The oil is now like hot water (very thin) and reeks of gasoline.
Only 500 miles on the Ascent.

Already notified the dealer. They set an appointment for a week out, asked me to drive the vehicle to them then (40 miles away).

I am VERY reluctant to drive the car in the interim. Concerned about ruining the bearings on the crank and turbos.

Advice, please?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
It seems my 2021 Ascent Ltd is experiencing the same issue some 2019s have: fuel diluting the crankcase oil.

Twice now, I have removed the oil filter and replaced with a fresh one to get the oil level back to normal. It was about 1/4" above the "Max" hole on the dipstick. Within 100 miles of filter replacement, it would again creep back up to that level. The oil is now like hot water (very thin) and reeks of gasoline.

Already notified the dealer. They set an appointment for a week out, asked me to drive the vehicle to them then (40 miles away).

I am VERY reluctant to drive the car in the interim. Concerned about ruining the bearings on the crank and turbos.

Advice, please?
see my multiple previous posts on this issue. I strongly suggest you contact SOA to document this issue. I would not drive the vehicle. I have a 2019 with high oil levels (even after the dealer removed the "extra" oil). I am driving a Ascent loaner in the interim and Monday the dealer will be discussing this with the SOA regional engineer. Both of my Ascent loaners (both with less than 2000 miles on them) had high oil levels as well. I am pushing for lab analysis do be completed. We are not the only ones with this issue and previous years of other models have this issue. By calling SOA it both provides additional data points for them to figure it out and to document the issue for our own protection.

the fact that the oil level went back up after removing the oil indicates that there is some intrusion of fluid into the system. From where and what is yet to be determined. In my case I let the vehicle sit overnight prior to checking the oil level so it was not a situation of foaming oil. the dealer is the only one who has changed oil on the vehicle and I never simply added oil to the vehicle.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Advice, please?
There is a recall on previous years of the Ascent for this exact problem. I agree with other posts. Don't drive, call dealer.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
There is a recall on previous years of the Ascent for this exact problem. I agree with other posts. Don't drive, call dealer.
I do not see any such recall. If you have any documentation of this recall than please post the link to it. NHTSA has 5 recalls on the 2019 Ascent, none of which include this issue.

There are zero 2020 recalls for the Ascent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do not see any such recall. If you have any documentation of this recall than please post the link to it. NHTSA has 5 recalls on the 2019 Ascent, none of which include this issue.

There are zero 2020 recalls for the Ascent.

Advice, please?
Same problem here. Oil level was very high and up to the twisted part of the dipstick before 3k miles. Also had intermittent fuel fumes in cabin and around the vehicle.

It takes a very long time to get to operating temp. I’d say 30-45 minutes before the temp gauge hits the middle/center of the gauge. I was told it was because the rings haven’t seated yet. I’m driving it as normal and waiting to see what happens in the next few thousand miles.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Same problem here. Oil level was very high and up to the twisted part of the dipstick before 3k miles. Also had intermittent fuel fumes in cabin and around the vehicle.

It takes a very long time to get to operating temp. I’d say 30-45 minutes before the temp gauge hits the middle/center of the gauge. I was told it was because the rings haven’t seated yet. I’m driving it as normal and waiting to see what happens in the next few thousand miles.
I don not recommend driving it. Bring it into the dealer, call SOA and get a loaner

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
A listener to the local car radio show actually called in with this exact problem on Saturday. The "experts" told him he should get an oil analysis to see if there is anything that may help with the diagnosis of why the oil level is increasing.

·
Registered
2019 Limited
32 Posts
I've been driving my 2019 with this issue for more than 2 years now, but my oil crept up to 3/4" over for the bulk of that. They've already made it very clear to me that this is normal and refuse to do anything about it, so it's not surprising that the 2021s are experiencing the same (and good thing I didn't waste $5k to trade in for a 21). All the Ascent and Outback loaners I've ever had have been high as well. At least you'll have a claim with your service dealer hopefully backing you. Keep in mind that some dilution is normal with modern engines, up to like 2%, but they probably won't check for you. I am not keeping this Ascent long-term, if something happens to my engine before Toyota releases their "Grand Highlander" I'll be leaping to (whenever it comes out), then it's all on SoA.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
A listener to the local car radio show actually called in with this exact problem on Saturday. The "experts" told him he should get an oil analysis to see if there is anything that may help with the diagnosis of why the oil level is increasing.
That was me. I had already asked SOA to send it to the lab, but I figured I would ask Rush for any other ideas of what it could be.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I've been driving my 2019 with this issue for more than 2 years now, but my oil crept up to 3/4" over for the bulk of that. They've already made it very clear to me that this is normal and refuse to do anything about it, so it's not surprising that the 2021s are experiencing the same (and good thing I didn't waste $5k to trade in for a 21). All the Ascent and Outback loaners I've ever had have been high as well. At least you'll have a claim with your service dealer hopefully backing you. Keep in mind that some dilution is normal with modern engines, up to like 2%, but they probably won't check for you. I am not keeping this Ascent long-term, if something happens to my engine before Toyota releases their "Grand Highlander" I'll be leaping to (whenever it comes out), then it's all on SoA.
That normal line will not wash with me. The SOA engineer will have to come up with a lab analysis and an explanation.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That normal line will not wash with me. The SOA engineer will have to come up with a lab analysis and an explanation.
What, the magical "oil expands under heat, duh" or "the engine is pulling from it's strategic oil reserves" answer wasn't enough?

Oh yeah, "oil is from petroleum so of course it smells like gas" is probably next in line for excuses.:rolleyes:

Cynically,
JM 🙃

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am planning to take it in this week too...did SOA/dealer do the lab test on their own? Or did you have to pay for it yourself? Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was surprised to learn that you can get a pretty comprehensive oil analysis for around $20. The report from Blackstone Labs was informative -- especially the narrative given my lack of auto tech chops. My dealer service advisor was more than happy to have the techs pull a sample for me at oil-change time -- though a service shop should also have a vacuum pump and be able to pull a sample fairly easily if you want to have your own test performed.

EDIT: Blackstone's report also included an engine-specific comparison (and narrative explanation) based on their volumes of testing. I understand that this may be unique to Blackstone.

The narrative from my first oil change included this: "Specific to FA24s, those numbers are based on a 5,600-mile oil run. The flashpoint indicates 1.3% fuel dilution, but that isn't cautionary. Less than 2.0% fuel is often related to short trips or sampling after idling."

Definitely a trend I will be watching.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I was surprised to learn that you can get a pretty comprehensive oil analysis for around $20. The report from Blackstone Labs was informative -- especially the narrative given my lack of auto tech chops. My dealer service advisor was more than happy to have the techs pull a sample for me at oil-change time -- though a service shop should also have a vacuum pump and be able to pull a sample fairly easily if you want to have your own test performed.

EDIT: Blackstone's report also included an engine-specific comparison (and narrative explanation) based on their volumes of testing. I understand that this may be unique to Blackstone.

The narrative from my first oil change included this: "Specific to FA24s, those numbers are based on a 5,600-mile oil run. The flashpoint indicates 1.3% fuel dilution, but that isn't cautionary. Less than 2.0% fuel is often related to short trips or sampling after idling."

another lab is Oil Analysis Sample Report - Oil Analyzers INC.

good reading on oil testing

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

I think on Wednesday I will contact two labs via phone to talk about the higher oil level on these Ascents and what their testing may be able to uncover as to the cause. i do not know if your vehicle's oil referenced above had higher oil levels. If it was an Ascent and it did have higher levels, did Blackstone offer any opinion (given that the fuel dilution was low) as to what may be the cause?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it was an Ascent and it did have higher levels, did Blackstone offer any opinion (given that the fuel dilution was low) as to what may be the cause?
It was an Ascent. But I do not know if it had high oil levels, as I did not check it before the 6000 mile oil change (dealer). I had not noticed anything off when I checked it previously once or twice.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I am planning to take it in this week too...did SOA/dealer do the lab test on their own? Or did you have to pay for it yourself? Thanks!
I still have to learn the details from SOA but today the dealer stated the testing the engineer had suggested turned up nothing. Tomorrow the service advisor will be talking with SOA about authorizing the oil analysis. SOA has been good with their follow up on this to date. Now is when the "rubber will hit the road" as we get into more analysis of what the cause may be.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I took my Ascent to the selling dealer yesterday. Their diagnosis resulted in the following: they changed the oil, then asked me to run it for another 600 miles and see if the oil rises again. I inquired about an oil analysis prior, the service director said they don't do those. I asked him to install my Fumoto valve as they were draining the crankcase. The director said he could but he would have to "put a note" in my file. I asked if he was hinting at a warranty issue. He didn't answer coherently. The express service advisor told me they had to "move the exhaust manifold" in order to install it. (?!)

Added on edit: Talked to the director and he said they only bent the heat shield a bit to clear the valve.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts