Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined forum in expectation of buying Ascent.

We were down to two dissimilar vehicle options - BMD X5 PHEV and Ascent - yeah, very dissimilar.

The Federal tax credit on the PHEV almost sold it, but there was still such a huge price difference - spouse really liked the Subaru better. I wanted to like the X5, but: (a) it has such a relatively restricted entrance height compared, to the Subaru, (b) the headliner was all black so felt a bit dreary, even with ivory seating, and, (c) the extraordinary number of buttons, options, buttons, options, buttons, options, settings, etc was just unnecessarily overwhelming, and we could not see the (net of 7500 tax credit) difference of $30K.

Spouse solved it by saying, I want the Subaru, and I want to start swapping cars more often than every 10-15 years :)

Picked up the Ascent (white with ivory) at Montgomery (Alabama) Subaru - incredibly proficient internet sales rep, team and process - if all Subaru dealerships are this well and tightly managed and process oriented, it is a great thing. (PM me if anyone wants additional info). I had given my local dealership plenty of leeway to match or come close to pricing - almost 6% difference on an ordered car with zero interest from the local guys.

I cannot, btw, fathom why Subaru would not offer the Touring with ivory leather - or, alternatively, why Subaru would not allow the Limited to have front camera, ventilated seats, and the other amenities from the Touring. Spouse said - OMG, look at the three colors - the seats, the carpet and dash, and the ivory arms! They could easily have had another $1500-2000 of my money. Odd.

Been reading through the manual - even it is better written than most I have seen - lots of complexity is so well integrated in the Subaru that it is not obtrusive.

Nice car, balanced - would still prefer a 6 cylinder, but I'll wait for awhile to comment further.

This took months of consideration - I would have instantly bought the Subaru if it had a 20-24 KW battery as a PHEV.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Congratulations on your new Ascent, we love ours. I would have bought a base model if I could have equipped it with just heated seats and a heated steering wheel. My towing needs are under 2000lbs. The heated steering wheel is only available on the limited and up which was a must have. I don't think Subaru will change their model equipment crossover structure anytime soon. They knew how to get me into a higher trim;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First drive impressions over 3 hours - airy, open cockpit! Suitably quiet, but could hear the A/C compressor. Steering pretty ok, but a bit synthetic feeling. Tight, but supple enough for most roads. Weird transmission, but it’s a CVT - I get it (had a Ford 500 with CVT without shift points-that was very weird). Pretty darn good turning radius. Wish it was a 6 cylinder. Wish it was PHEV 😀

1 - 4 of 4 Posts