Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had this car for a few months and we just had a bunch of rain and now water is dripping from the overhead unit. Took it to the dealership and they said they cannot replicate the problem. Has anyone else had this happen?
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Car
Car Hood Vehicle Automotive design Grey

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Car

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,282 Posts

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
68 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased a 2021 Ascent. It has 2500 miles on it...got in this morning with water dripping, actually streaming into the car from the overhead console...just like you show in your pictures. I am literally sick to my stomach about this...I traded a 2015 Tahoe with ZERO problems and cannot believe this is happening to a brand new car. I am afraid I will be stuck with a moldy stinky leaky car based on what I have read on this forum. I called the dealership and am to take it today for them to see.
It is all soaking wet on the passenger side headliner- none on the drivers side. and YES the moon roof was completely closed. It is not coming from there..

· Registered
254 Posts
Had this happen to our 2019, though it was a lot more water. Took it into the dealer and they couldn't find the problem. It was coming out of the sunglass holder/lights area. I think they said a drain hose was likely clogged. Not sure, hasn't happened again.

· Registered
5,282 Posts
I have just purchased a 2021 Ascent. It has 2500 miles on it...got in this morning with water dripping, actually streaming into the car from the overhead console...just like you show in your pictures. I am literally sick to my stomach about this...I traded a 2015 Tahoe with ZERO problems and cannot believe this is happening to a brand new car. I am afraid I will be stuck with a moldy stinky leaky car based on what I have read on this forum. I called the dealership and am to take it today for them to see.
It is all soaking wet on the passenger side headliner- none on the drivers side. and YES the moon roof was completely closed. It is not coming from there..
you will not be stuck with your concerns as expressed. let them figure it out and correct it properly. These are typically the clogged drain or the moon roof seal (being closed does not guarantee it was not leaking from rain).

· Registered
477 Posts
We don't like sun roofs.. Never use them. We have one on the Ascent we just bought because it comes with other stuff we like. I wish it were a stand alone option for all vehicles. It is for some we've had.

To me, it's a large perforation in the sheet metal which can leak as noted. It also adds noise to the cabin.

Good luck to you... And us! We are at one month of ownership. 1050 miles.

· Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a brand new Ascent and have the exact problems as identified! Dealership says it was a "dirty track", which is completely ridiculous. Now it's leaking again, no pouring out of our headliner, again. Have an appt; doubt anything will be done!

· Registered
477 Posts
I wish the sunroof was a stand alone option, like the last three big American sedans we bought ( Dodge,GM & Chrysler). Still have the Dodge. It has every other bell and whistle they offered in 2016. The sunroof was a separate option

We never use sunroofs. The 22 Ascent 'mandatory' bundled sunroof was opened once just to try it out..never after. The 23 will likely never be opened. I consider it a huge perforation in the sheet metal which has to add to inside road noise and has proven problematic to some

Yes it happens to most. The car is made like shit
Why would have a car made like shit? Or if you don't...why come here anymore?

I totally disagree with your statement

· Registered
5,282 Posts
Yes it happens to most. The car is made like shit
every auto maker has problems with sunroofs. It is a hit or miss experience. Some owners never have problems and some have experienced leaks (with every manufacturer). I rarely have used them and therefore avoid them in my new vehicle orders. It was never worth the leak risk to me. I also appreciate the added quietness of a solid roof over the benefit of added light and rooftop air.

· Registered
8 Posts
I wish the sunroof was a stand alone option, like the last three big American sedans we bought ( Dodge,GM & Chrysler). Still have the Dodge. It has every other bell and whistle they offered in 2016. The sunroof was a separate option

We never use sunroofs. The 22 Ascent 'mandatory' bundled sunroof was opened once just to try it out..never after. The 23 will likely never be opened. I consider it a huge perforation in the sheet metal which has to add to inside road noise and has proven problematic to some

Why would have a car made like shit? Or if you don't...why come here anymore?

I totally disagree with your statement
This subi was my 1st subi. Likely never again. Oil gets diluted with gasoline sunroof leaks like hell. Trunk tie downs attached with a single small screw into a plastic panel and cannot hold anything of substance. This is not on part with toyota or even honda.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just saw your reply. I was wondering if the figured out what was causing your leak? My car is on its third leak and currently in the shop. I’m so sick about it.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have slight idea. It is probably the drainage around sunroof. However, this leak is inconsistent. Sometimes it leaks bad and sometimes not at all and both times with lots of rain. I had this leak since few months of ownership of the brand new car. I cleaned drainage once. I have no solution sorry.

· Registered
1 Posts
Created account to post after finding this thread: I have a 2020 Ascent w/similar issue that is 36 days out of warranty (details below). Dealer found the issue to be a problem with the sunroof rails requiring a costly rail replacement. It took the techs a lot of searching to find the cause, but they are a fantastic dealer/team (our second Subaru with them). Perhaps ask your techs to double-check this if your leak is difficult to pin down.

Called Subaru of America and after review, they are covering everything except taxes on the fix. Will see how it goes and holds up, but am impressed with SoA's phenomenal level of service.

Issues experienced were similar to others in thread. In our case, water flowed out of the left rear door column (dripping out of the seat belt opening and the panel seam just below that, just like @Krisy 's photo). Headliner, left rear door col and seatbelt, and floor all soaking wet, with moisture condensing all throughout the interior. With the last heavy rains here, water was dripping from the left side headliner vents.

Hope they find and fix the cause, fingers crossed on this end!

-Dan

· Registered
1 Posts
Created account to post after finding this thread: I have a 2020 Ascent w/similar issue that is 36 days out of warranty (details below). Dealer found the issue to be a problem with the sunroof rails requiring a costly rail replacement. It took the techs a lot of searching to find the cause, but they are a fantastic dealer/team (our second Subaru with them). Perhaps ask your techs to double-check this if your leak is difficult to pin down. Called Subaru of America and after review, they are covering everything except taxes on the fix. Will see how it goes and holds up, but am impressed with SoA's phenomenal level of service. Issues experienced were similar to others in thread. In our case, water flowed out of the left rear door column (dripping out of the seat belt opening and the panel seam just below that, just like @Krisy 's photo). Headliner, left rear door col and seatbelt, and floor all soaking wet, with moisture condensing all throughout the interior. With the last heavy rains here, water was dripping from the left side headliner vents. Hope they find and fix the cause, fingers crossed on this end! -Dan
Having the same problem as above. 2019 ascent. When it rains it pours.. inside my car 2nd row passenger seat where my daughter's carseat sits apparently. Was also thinking this was caused by sunroof drain clog (which btw you can't get to to clean yourself as it's behind the moonroof portion of the sunroof - what terrible design!), but I've had Subaru snake that and yet water is still leaking after this last rain we had. I am also beginning to suspect the water is coming from the seatbelt opening in the column and that's how my daughters seat, 2nd row seat,, and 3rd row floorboard have gotten completely soaked. What a mess!! Did replacing sunroof rails fix your problem? I'm taking my car in today and will ask them to check that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts