Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
We just picked up our factory ordered Ascent two days ago. I've read all of the posts here and a bunch on autogeek. In the past I used a simple 2 bucket wash and Meguiar's cleaner wax twice a year. I'd like to improve on my method to protect the new paint properly.

Step 1 - Wash
Meguiar's Deep Crystal (no protectants included, can be used as clay lubricant)

Step 2 - Clay
I've never clayed a car because I've been too worried to try it. I'm willing to try now and can practice on my '07 Mazda6. Which is easier for a beginner, a bar or a mitt? It seems like a mitt is more forgiving. Any other brands besides Griott's or should I go with their fine mitt (seems expensive)?

Step 3 - Sealant
I'm not going the ceramic or film route but would like to try a sealant. Again, looking for something forgiving that will not damage the black trim parts if I get it on them. These are the ones I've read about and am leaning toward WG or Klasse. Thoughts?
1) Wolfgang Sealant 3.0
2) Jescar Power Lock
3) McKee's High Def Sealant
4) Klasse High Gloss Sealant

Step 4 - Wax
Collinite 845

Step 5 - Exterior Black Trim/Plastic
303 Protectant

Do I follow the same process twice a year? Should I add an iron remover step and if so, do I use it every time?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Hi All,
We just picked up our factory ordered Ascent two days ago. I've read all of the posts here and a bunch on autogeek. In the past I used a simple 2 bucket wash and Meguiar's cleaner wax twice a year. I'd like to improve on my method to protect the new paint properly.

Step 1 - Wash
Meguiar's Deep Crystal (no protectants included, can be used as clay lubricant)

Step 2 - Clay
I've never clayed a car because I've been too worried to try it. I'm willing to try now and can practice on my '07 Mazda6. Which is easier for a beginner, a bar or a mitt? It seems like a mitt is more forgiving. Any other brands besides Griott's or should I go with their fine mitt (seems expensive)?

Step 3 - Sealant
I'm not going the ceramic or film route but would like to try a sealant. Again, looking for something forgiving that will not damage the black trim parts if I get it on them. These are the ones I've read about and am leaning toward WG or Klasse. Thoughts?
1) Wolfgang Sealant 3.0
2) Jescar Power Lock
3) McKee's High Def Sealant
4) Klasse High Gloss Sealant

Step 4 - Wax
Collinite 845

Step 5 - Exterior Black Trim/Plastic
303 Protectant

Do I follow the same process twice a year? Should I add an iron remover step and if so, do I use it every time?
Thanks in advance!
chemicalguys products are great. Apply mulitple protective coatings and it will lasts for many months during which you would only need to rinse and dry the vehicle for it to look great.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delay - thanks everyone! I've been overwhelmed by all of the available products and have decided to employ a professional to evaluate the paint and give me a coat of sealant. From there I can do the upkeep myself and see what products are recommended.

Hi xydax3, it said it was a private group and since I'm hardly ever on FB, I didn't request to join. Are there lots of good posts, info and active members there?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
There’s over 17k members in the group. If you’re not on fb much (can’t blame you there!) you could request to join and just read the info in the files section. I learned more than I’ll ever use in there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.