Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few months I have noticed that whenever I am braking and turning (mostly right) I hear a creaking from the drivers side wheel well (hard to pinpoint exactly when you are driving). This happens mostly in parking lots when navigating slow turns, pulling into a parking spot, etc. When traveling faster than parking lot speeds I do not encounter this issue. It is not a ride issue, but very annoying that a $45k+ vehicle with 24k miles creaks at all.
I took it to the dealer for this issue, they looked it over, and told me that they could not find any issues. They did ride with me and did claim they heard it while we did some parking lot driving. They had me schedule another appointment 2 weeks later so they could look at it further with more time. I took it back two weeks later, took a drive with them and was able to show them the noise again. Later that day they contacted me and told me they checked all suspension parts and everything is tight and how it should be. If the problem gets worse to bring it back, since the issue is difficult to replicate (I can easily replicate it, but whatever) they can't start replacing parts unless it becomes more noticeable. I did have the latest version 4 brakes installed a year ago and the rotors turned, but that is the only front end work that has been done on the car. I have been searching TSB's and found -5-88-21 which has been revised to include my model and year, so I am curious if the fix this TSB includes would have any positive outcome on this noise.
My only other thought is brakes, but since I already had those replaced with the version 4 last year they won't replace those again for free under warranty (it is still under the 3 year/36k miles) without them obviously being the issue.

· Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,630 Posts
Look at post #9

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look at post #9

Ascent 2021 does not at this time appear to be included in the front strut TSB, so I assume they updated the production part to fix that issue for 2021 etc.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The past few months I have noticed that whenever I am braking and turning (mostly right) I hear a creaking from the drivers side wheel well (hard to pinpoint exactly when you are driving). This happens mostly in parking lots when navigating slow turns, pulling into a parking spot, etc. When traveling faster than parking lot speeds I do not encounter this issue. It is not a ride issue, but very annoying that a $45k+ vehicle with 24k miles creaks at all.
I took it to the dealer for this issue, they looked it over, and told me that they could not find any issues. They did ride with me and did claim they heard it while we did some parking lot driving. They had me schedule another appointment 2 weeks later so they could look at it further with more time. I took it back two weeks later, took a drive with them and was able to show them the noise again. Later that day they contacted me and told me they checked all suspension parts and everything is tight and how it should be. If the problem gets worse to bring it back, since the issue is difficult to replicate (I can easily replicate it, but whatever) they can't start replacing parts unless it becomes more noticeable. I did have the latest version 4 brakes installed a year ago and the rotors turned, but that is the only front end work that has been done on the car. I have been searching TSB's and found -5-88-21 which has been revised to include my model and year, so I am curious if the fix this TSB includes would have any positive outcome on this noise.
My only other thought is brakes, but since I already had those replaced with the version 4 last year they won't replace those again for free under warranty (it is still under the 3 year/36k miles) without them obviously being the issue.
Here is a video I took that showcases the sound. It is very difficult to get the sound while driving and staying safe, but this is the exact sound I hear when braking and turning. During the entire video my wife has her foot on the brake and is turning the wheel back and forth. The video begins at the rear wheel and then I move to the front. I am taking this in next week with this video to show them the noise, can't argue with that video the creaking is very noticeable.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,271 Posts
I have less than 150 miles on my 2023 Ascent Limited and have the same experience. I also have noticed what seems like a burning off of lubricant or film smell. I had assumed it was a brake rotor film but that should be done by now if that was it. I am trying to pinpoint the noise as you did and like you said it is somewhat intermittent. It was almost like something is not releasing completely.

I also heard a small squeak when I was at 19 MPH and either gently accelerating or letting off the accelerator. Again this was somewhat intermittent.

· Registered
2023 Limited
37 Posts
___ you guys are making me paranoid lol. I think I've been hearing a dull, hollow sounding knock on slow left-hand turns. Thought it was my music at first. Almost similar to the sound you are getting at full lock @ ~0:19. I hate cranking the wheel while the car is stopped, but might have to set the phone up and test it out tomorrow. Also <300 miles on our 23...

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
___ you guys are making me paranoid lol. I think I've been hearing a dull, hollow sounding knock on slow left-hand turns. Thought it was my music at first. Almost similar to the sound you are getting at full lock @ ~0:19. I hate cranking the wheel while the car is stopped, but might have to set the phone up and test it out tomorrow. Also <300 miles on our 23...
I have an appointment scheduled for next week, so I will let you know what I find out. I have taken the car in for this noise twice already and essentially told "it is not persistent enough to locate". I would hope now with this video and a way to easily reproduce the issue the dealer can determine something that is not operating correctly and replace it. It is also getting colder, so the noise is much louder then the last time I took it in.

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
Here is a video I took that showcases the sound. It is very difficult to get the sound while driving and staying safe, but this is the exact sound I hear when braking and turning. During the entire video my wife has her foot on the brake and is turning the wheel back and forth. The video begins at the rear wheel and then I move to the front. I am taking this in next week with this video to show them the noise, can't argue with that video the creaking is very noticeable.

Sounds like the edge of the spring on the strut, but other things could make that sound. Please let us know what they find.

· Registered
67 Posts
I have an appointment scheduled for next week, so I will let you know what I find out. I have taken the car in for this noise twice already and essentially told "it is not persistent enough to locate". I would hope now with this video and a way to easily reproduce the issue the dealer can determine something that is not operating correctly and replace it. It is also getting colder, so the noise is much louder then the last time I took it in.
If the third time isn't the charm with this dealer, my suggestion would be to try another one that may have a better service department. If that's an option for you where you live.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the third time isn't the charm with this dealer, my suggestion would be to try another one that may have a better service department. If that's an option for you where you live.
My Local dealer is 3 miles from my house, and the next dealer is 96 miles. I thought the same, trying a new dealer, but that is a long drive. Also, my dealer has yet to "fully hear" the issue, so this time I am hopefully they can easily hear and reproduce the noise and actually start to replace some stuff that could be the issue.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Local dealer is 3 miles from my house, and the next dealer is 96 miles. I thought the same, trying a new dealer, but that is a long drive. Also, my dealer has yet to "fully hear" the issue, so this time I am hopefully they can easily hear and reproduce the noise and actually start to replace some stuff that could be the issue.
I have also thought that if Subaru can't figure it out this time I will take it to a local repair shop that I have taken my other cars to for years. It will cost, but at this point, after 3 service visits and all the time spent (both to, during, and from the appointments along with frustration every time if creaks) spend some money to potentially get it fixed could be worth it.
If that does not work I have seen several posts about people putting aftermarket rotors and brakes on their ascents and that the brakes are silent afterwards. That is even more costly, but assuming Subaru can't fix it then I either live with it, sell the car, or get it fixed myself.

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
I have also thought that if Subaru can't figure it out this time I will take it to a local repair shop that I have taken my other cars to for years. It will cost, but at this point, after 3 service visits and all the time spent (both to, during, and from the appointments along with frustration every time if creaks) spend some money to potentially get it fixed could be worth it.
If that does not work I have seen several posts about people putting aftermarket rotors and brakes on their ascents and that the brakes are silent afterwards. That is even more costly, but assuming Subaru can't fix it then I either live with it, sell the car, or get it fixed myself.
If your dealership can't figure it out, let me know. The sound does not sound like brakes.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If your dealership can't figure it out, let me know. The sound does not sound like brakes.
You could be right. I assumed brakes because this noise does not happen if you just turn the wheel back and forth in park, or if I take a corner slow without braking. Now, having the brakes engaged could affect other parts for sure, so maybe my brakes are good. We will see I suppose

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
You could be right. I assumed brakes because this noise does not happen if you just turn the wheel back and forth in park, or if I take a corner slow without braking. Now, having the brakes engaged could affect other parts for sure, so maybe my brakes are good. We will see I suppose
Yes, engaging the brakes with wheels turned changes the force on the springs, as well as how the struts react to any bumps or unevenness in the road. It sounds to me like the end of a spring is creaking against the spring perch.

· Administrator
13,264 Posts
I smelled the burn off smell on my 2019 for a few hundred miles. Really interested in the sound. Also interested if you see scratching or gouging on the spring perches.

· Registered
2019 Ascent Limited, 2015 WRX, 2022 OB Onyx
5,271 Posts
I smelled the burn off smell on my 2019 for a few hundred miles. Really interested in the sound. Also interested if you see scratching or gouging on the spring perches.
I heard a grinding/growning noise multiple times today. I came home and asked my son, the sprouting mechanic, to take a drive with me to listen for it. Of course he was wearing the magic mechanics' ring that blocks out any problematic auto sound during a test drive, so that test was frustrating. Then it happened. He asked me to drive up the curb. we then slowly drove down the curb (sloped in Denver) and low and behold we heard the noise (he got tired of wearing the ring). The next five minutes to home we could not duplicate it but no doubt he heard it. He thinks it is suspension, but the element that does not quite fit is that I have heard it multiple times on a flat road while barely moving.

I was on the phone with SOA today to open a case on this issue and as I started to make a left into my driveway I heard the noise. Of course the SOA rep could not hear it and I went around the block trying to duplicate it while the rep was on the phone. No such luck.

I just got to 200 miles on the vehicle and I was not pleased that I have not received a call back from the dealership service department (twice over three days). I have not even had the vehicle one week and I can not get a call back. This is why I opened up a case and I intend on taking some additional steps tomorrow. I plan on visiting the dealership in question, talking to the general sales manager who I dealt with for this sale and the director of service who I have dealt with prior for my wife's 22' Outback Onyx. I want them to recognize and act as if they are a team with their customers. No handwashing after the sale. I will write SOA on the matter and reference the case number. I know Subaru will take care of this mechanic issue and I am not concerned with the quality of the 23' just because of this experience. Stuff happens. I am however concerned about the lack of follow up after a matter of days of smiles and contract signing. I have not even filed the purchase documents in my cabinet, nor have I completed the dealership rating form they asked me to complete and give them stellar marks. To be fair I have not called the sales team about this issue, after all it is a service issue. It does however circle back to being a team. One side reflects upon the other.

I have yet to use this dealership for service, so if they want my business and referrals, they need to earn it. I had pretty good service from Auto Nation Subaru west in Golden over the last four years so I may be just going over to them for my 23'.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Had the front sway bar bushings and brackets replaced, but the noise remains. I took it back a week later and they added grease to all the fittings they could, still the noise remains. Waiting to hear back from them on next steps.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the car back, and the noise might be 10% better, but not much. I took this video under the rear of the car while my wife pushed down the brake and turned the wheel back and forth. I noticed the noise is gone if you DON'T push on the brake while doing this, as without the brake the car, even in park, will slightly roll back and forward as the wheel is turned. With the foot on the brake the car can't do that, so it "stresses" the suspension more and I hear the noise. I feel like I hear the noise in the front driver side, however, using the video linked below all noise comes from the control arm(s) in the rear. The current plan is to take in the car Monday and they will use their alignment machine to keep a load on the car weight-wise and also be able to be under the car. They plan to determine which arms are causing issues and replace them.

Link to the video I took under the car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts