Subaru Ascent Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been talked about before, and people are saying the new 2021 ascent does not have auto stop/start.
But I wanted to get confirmation again from people that may have one in hand right now.

We currently ordered a 2021 Ascent (not in hand yet), and recently took our Impreza in for a recall. All the service writers and salespersons keep telling us that the 2021 Ascent has auto stop /start, I'm assuming the salesperson keeps getting confused with AVH. If it has Auto stop-start we will simply refuse taking ownership of the car as the service writers are even telling us you have to turn it off on each start.

I also don't trust what they are saying, as I had to correct them even when they were talking about features on the Ascent. When they knew very little about the car, and this is a top 5 Subaru dealership!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Unrelated to start/stop but relevant to big ignorant dealerships. When I was getting my '19, about a year after they first became available (they already had '20s on the lot), the sales people, service dept, and parts dept all swore up and down that the hitch was 1 1/4". I explained the Ascent was rated to 5000lb, so it couldn't be 1 1/4" and had to be 2". I finally convinced them by having parts pull a new hitch out of stock, opening it up, and actually showing them.

·
Administrator
775 Posts
Welcome to the forums @chatters,

Totally edited.... Not on the Ascent, but yes on Outback/Foresters...

C.

- Thanks for the correction people, and not throwing me under the bus.... I can do that all by myself. 😁

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interestingly they don't call it out on the specs on subaru.com as they do for the forester (under Engine and Drivetrain) . The 2021 we test drove didn't have it, I can't find a mention of it anyplace outside of the salespersons saying it and others on these forums saying it doesn't have Auto stop/start.

I'm mentioning this Ascent forum thread with posts 2 months ago (Auto Start Stop on 2021?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 21 and it does not have auto stop start. This is a feature that, if done well, I would actually appreciate so I have looked for it

·
Registered
2019 Limited
32 Posts
I know this has been talked about before, and people are saying the new 2021 ascent does not have auto stop/start.
But I wanted to get confirmation again from people that may have one in hand right now.

We currently ordered a 2021 Ascent (not in hand yet), and recently took our Impreza in for a recall. All the service writers and salespersons keep telling us that the 2021 Ascent has auto stop /start, I'm assuming the salesperson keeps getting confused with AVH. If it has Auto stop-start we will simply refuse taking ownership of the car as the service writers are even telling us you have to turn it off on each start.

I also don't trust what they are saying, as I had to correct them even when they were talking about features on the Ascent. When they knew very little about the car, and this is a top 5 Subaru dealership!
The 2021 does not have auto stop/start. That would require quite a bit of change that the Ascent has not undergone, yet. Hoping the model refresh and/or redesign does not implement it, and if they do add it in 2022-2024, I hope it's at least not in the infotainment center like the Outback.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited
16 Posts
There's a high probability chance when the Infotainment version changes to gen 4 like the Outback, it would have the large screen and S/S imbedded. Just my thoughts.....

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,825 Posts
There's a high probability chance when the Infotainment version changes to gen 4 like the Outback, it would have the large screen and S/S imbedded. Just my thoughts.....
S/S as a vehicle feature isn't tied to the entertainment system. It requires a lot of other things computing as well as changes to the starting system/electrical/etc. The head unit is just a "convenient" place for the "button" in theory...

To add this to the Ascent, they have to do a bit of engineering. My personal guess is not until Gen 2, but it certainly could appear in the mid-cycle refresh for MY22 in theory.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
Auto stop/start is not a welcome feature in cold climates. I witnessed 5 cars last winter with the feature not able to restart. It’s just too hard on the battery in -40celcius to be constantly restarting.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Make and model ? I have not seen car to have ASS active in cold weather..
Not only it check temperature but also battery charge /voltage on every start under the load

·
Registered
814 Posts
When I had the fuel recall done I was loaned a ‘20 Outback non- turbo it had the Auto S/S feature...hate it!...had to go into the menu on the HU to turn it off 👎🏾

Just yesterday I had the front passenger seat bottom assembly replaced & side body molding on the driver side was falling off.All fixed under warranty,was loaned a ‘20 Forester(base) with the same stupid Auto S/S feature but there’s at least a actual on/off button by the left knee...hate it! 👎🏾

Was told that the ‘21 Ascent doesn’t have it 👍🏾

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
One was a Chevy suv, not sure which one. One was a Ford, again an suv not sure which. Twice I saw the same Honda Pilot, (I believe) die. And one was BMW car, I have no idea which one. This was all at the same drop off loop. A number of times in traffic, I’ve witnessed these systems failing to restart properly and need multiple restarts to get going. I would not buy a vehicle with this “feature”/hinderence.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
211 Posts
I actually like this feature. Assuming it has a hardware on/off switch. My wife's 2020 Mini Cooper Countryman JCW has it and I like it...she does not, and has it turned off in her personal car settings.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited
16 Posts
Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the 8" screen is gen 3.1 and the 11(or 12) is gen 4 of the infotainment implementations. The larger screen for the current Outback, I believe, is Gen 4 and has the internal programming for the buttons of s/s. The current Ascent, I believe, is Gen 3.1 for the 8 "screen. No, it is not requirement on the infotainment screen to accept the input for s/s, but SOA already has this programmed and implemented for the larger screen. Has anyone seen the on/off buttons on anything but a larger infotainment screen?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I will put in my 2 cents (non-sense). Subaru has offered Auto Start/Stop since 2011 just not in the US. Subaru's in Australia was the first place I learned about it. I am sure Japanese Subaru's had it long before Australia. Fun fact, those Subaru's had physical buttons to disable the Auto Start/Stop, no fancy technology or complex CPUs needed. If Subaru wanted to add it to the US market Ascents, then they will. But at this time, there is no benefit to Subaru to put it on the Ascent.

I replaced my 2013 Legacy 3.6R with a 2020 Legacy Touring XT that has the Auto Start Stop. 2 weeks into ownership and I don't find it all that abrupt. I have not turned it off once as it has not annoyed me as much as it has for everyone else. But I am still in the honeymoon phase so thank goodness for an edit button on this thread.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I would think direct injection engines would be particularly amenable to S/S as there's no delay in the fuel getting to the cylinder or issues with it not vaporizing in cold weather since it is atomized directly into the combustion chamber just prior to ignition. The mixture can be perfect and the starter would need to turn the engine 360 degrees to get two cylinders to hit.

Only tangentially related, I had a 3 cyl 90 HP direct injection two stroke outboard. With no battery, I could pull start it with a rope wrapped one turn around the flywheel. In one pull of 360 degrees, it generated enough electricity to run the injectors and the ignition system to get it to fire. One pull worked every time, hot or cold. Which was good because a number of times I was bobbing out in the Pacific a few miles off shore.

Why was I pull starting it you might ask? Because I had two bad Optima batteries in a row. Both replaced by Optima with profuse apologies.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
6 Posts

I have a 2021 Ascent and it does not have the start/stop function

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
I sure hope that when they do implement this ‘feature’ they do it better than others have.
ive seen complaints here that the throttle is a little too sensitive off the line sometimes. Imagine how much worse it would be if there was no throttle response until the engine starts with a nice firm shake of the whole vehicle from doing so?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.