Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
My car is still in the shop they couldn’t find the parts anywhere in the US and had to have it specially ordered from Japan they are saying it is the engine control module and ignition coils and harness?? The parts should arrive the week of April 5th
Good luck! For me, they started with a valve, moved on to the transmission control module and ultimately replaced the transmission wiring harness. So far, so good although I’ve driven less than 500 miles on it. I also asked SBA for an extended warranty which they did give me (100,000 / 10 year). Don’t hesitate to ask for something for your inconvenience. Not feeling secure in your vehicle is a big deal and they want you to be happy. They sent me a bunch of Subaru swag too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You cannot ascertain how many Ascents (or any other make/model) are having issues from reading Internet discussion groups...the relatively few that do have issues speak loudly while the rest...the majority...are out there driving around and not posting anything. Complaints will always, always skew to the negative because of that. When you consider how many tens of thousands of Ascents are on the road, the percentage with problems like you are reading about is relatively small.
Jim, respectfully, I disagree with your comment regarding there are "relatively few" with complaints. Not only do I have all the receipts from the numerous times my Ascent has been at the dealer, I also have numerous conversations with Subaru of America documented, towing company call logs, Consumer Reports' ratings for 3 model years, etc. The facts do not back up your opinion on the Ascent. It's a vehicle with serious design/engineering & build quality issues. Body welds, transmission wiring harnesses, fuel pump & wiring harness, battery, AC evaporative lines, windshield, body/door seals, heater/ac blower motors, the list goes on. As a Super Moderator I would expect someone to be supportive of the company they report on. I don't expect someone to promote their own version of facts.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Jim, respectfully, I disagree with your comment regarding there are "relatively few" with complaints. Not only do I have all the receipts from the numerous times my Ascent has been at the dealer, I also have numerous conversations with Subaru of America documented, towing company call logs, Consumer Reports' ratings for 3 model years, etc. The facts do not back up your opinion on the Ascent. It's a vehicle with serious design/engineering & build quality issues. Body welds, transmission wiring harnesses, fuel pump & wiring harness, battery, AC evaporative lines, windshield, body/door seals, heater/ac blower motors, the list goes on. As a Super Moderator I would expect someone to be supportive of the company they report on. I don't expect someone to promote their own version of facts.
I suggest you take a look at the weld issue per Robert, who provides a great explanation of that issue (really a non-issue). cross that off your list. The battery issue impacted some owners under certain conditions due to the type of battery but also the rear gate controller interaction. Once the issue was identified, a solution was developed and it has been corrected. The AC evaporative line was an incredible minor issue (I had mine replaced early on prior to any TSB).. don't get me wrong I was traveling at the time of hot weather so it was not fun for a day or so but IMO it by no means was anything to have heart palpitations over. There are no windshield issues. Every modern vehicle manufacturer, every year every model has a percentage of owners who believe they should never get a cracked windshield. Sorry, not going to happen (well documented in prior posts). Body/door seals was if I understand what you are referring to involved an obscure moment in time that impacted a tiny percent of owners that easily had a work around (I think you are talking about the opening and closing door sequence). The issue took up way too many posts for my liking but I did not loose sleep over it at all (issue or posts). The fuel pump POTENTIALLY impacted 40,950 Ascents from the very early production. The pump impeller had been manufactured with a lower density. The recall was mostly prophylactic. I do not know how many units were actually complained about it due to any symptoms. Subaru learned about the issue, and its scope and recalled all units that might have been impacted so they could replace the pumps. I do not recall what the heater/blower motor issue was. I vaguely recall that some owners had issues that were caused by user error. Others had actual failures but nothing that involved a recall but rather a simple problem with a very small number of units just like every vehicle on the planet will experience.

It is never fun to have your vehicle have an issue that needs repair but these moments ought to be put in perspective and not conflated to an entire model year or across multiple years when unjustified. In the case of the 2019 Ascent the early issues have been dealt with (I have a 2019 Limited). IMO none of what you noted were serious design flaws. Any project that involves engineering, manufacturing and installation (auto or general construction) will inevitably involve a percentage of issues that do not go according to plan. It is the nature of the process and nothing more. Subaru is not trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes and they readily step up to correct problems that arise. I assure you if consumer report wrote about the vehicles they review from my perspective they would not sell as many subscriptions. It would be boring and they want to sell their product. In rare occasions do we find a vehicle that has a major problem that has no solution that the manufacturer is avoiding taking care of.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,267 Posts
Jim, respectfully, I disagree with your comment regarding there are "relatively few" with complaints.
The context of that statement is complaints vs the number of vehicles produced. Because of human nature, folks with issues tend to speak out loudly in forums while the much larger number who have little or no issues are out driving around and not commenting online. I am not in any way trying to suggest that every vehicle is perfect nor am I suggesting that you didn't have issues. Clearly, that is not the case. That said, Robert's response to you in the other thread is consistent with my feeling, too. Something is amiss that your particular Ascent had so many issues. The fact that they occured is real. What's at odds is why.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
43 Posts
SOA knows they have serious issues with the Ascent. I have spoken with several people with the car when I run into them at the car wash, the dealers, the store parking lots, etc. They cannot be all wrong. SOA is trying to avoid class action lawsuits & buy backs. I'm not part of that. Why did SOA/Consumer Advocate offer to extend my warranty to 7 years/ 100,000 miles? It's because, when the car does things like dying completely at a very busy intersection with major short circuiting in the electrical system caused by fuel pump wiring that had previously been "repaired" through one of the recalls is just one of several reasons why this car's issues can get people killed. I never said I had "cracks in the windshield". My issue with the windshield is related to seals between the windshield & body when the car was built. I also had problems with the right front & right rear passenger door seals. I grew up around cars with my dad & grandfather. I'm not an idiot.

·
Administrator
10,208 Posts
SOA knows they have serious issues with the Ascent. I have spoken with several people with the car when I run into them at the car wash, the dealers, the store parking lots, etc. They cannot be all wrong. SOA is trying to avoid class action lawsuits & buy backs. I'm not part of that. Why did SOA/Consumer Advocate offer to extend my warranty to 7 years/ 100,000 miles?
I follow many many thousands of Ascents here and in multiple Facebook groups, and elsewhere - and have spoken to a few thousand owners from all over the country. The combination of what I've seen and what I've been told strongly disagree with your assessments. Heck, we run polls in the FB group, and the results are always the same... more than 95% of owners either have no problems, no major problems and/or love their Ascents.

As for why SoA offered to extend your warranty, it's the sort of thing they do. It's literally the sort of thing they're known for doing. It's literally what's built them their following - going the extra mile when others haven't.

Regardless, I am sorry to hear about the problems you've had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As you may know, the Ascent does not have a CVT problem. The problem for your year Ascent was the wiring harness which then initiated issues within the CVT. the "Christmas" lights coming on can occur for all sorts of reasons as previous posts on the Christmas lights suggest including many different electrical issues.

Wow. We've had the Christmas tree problem (2 months after purchasing our '21 Ascent), which fortunately I captured on video, because it started up fine when the tow truck arrived, even though I made several attempts myself before it arrived. It also started fine at the dealership, so they wouldn't believe me until I showed them the video. After "investigation" they found nothing and did a software update.

Since then we've had the radio stop working on us twice, and all they did was "recharge the battery"? It's new!

We have also had issues with the radio not working, Apple CarPlay not working, and the Homelink mirror going completely dead (they had to replace the mirror). The last time we took it in (radio/Apple CarPlay issues they couldn't re-create) all they said was that all the software is up to date and there was nothing else they could do. It will be in again next week because the Homelink has stopped working again. The signal search light continually flashes and cannot be reset.

The gas mileage of the vehicle is also nowhere close to the advertised MPG. Over the last 2 months we've averaged 14 MPG, with mostly local driving. We were told this was all due to driving habits, even though those have not changed. Our previous vehicle was a 2013 Ford Explorer with a V6, and it averaged 19 MPG.

This is our 2nd Subaru, and our success with our 2012 Outback is the reason we chose the Ascent, but this has been a very disappointing experience so far.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow. We've had the Christmas tree problem (2 months after purchasing our '21 Ascent), which fortunately I captured on video, because it started up fine when the tow truck arrived, even though I made several attempts myself before it arrived. It also started fine at the dealership, so they wouldn't believe me until I showed them the video. After "investigation" they found nothing and did a software update.

Since then we've had the radio stop working on us twice, and all they did was "recharge the battery"? It's new!

We have also had issues with the radio not working, Apple CarPlay not working, and the Homelink mirror going completely dead (they had to replace the mirror). The last time we took it in (radio/Apple CarPlay issues they couldn't re-create) all they said was that all the software is up to date and there was nothing else they could do. It will be in again next week because the Homelink has stopped working again. The signal search light continually flashes and cannot be reset.

The gas mileage of the vehicle is also nowhere close to the advertised MPG. Over the last 2 months we've averaged 14 MPG, with mostly local driving. We were told this was all due to driving habits, even though those have not changed. Our previous vehicle was a 2013 Ford Explorer with a V6, and it averaged 19 MPG.

This is our 2nd Subaru, and our success with our 2012 Outback is the reason we chose the Ascent, but this has been a very disappointing experience so far.
How you drive the Outback isnt how you can drive the Ascent though, it really is a different world of handling. My test drive was of the dealer telling me do, this , not that for half the journey because I was so used to driving my outback. AND driving city streets all the time does drive the MPG down. It's not stop/start traffic friendly.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts