Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
93 Posts
I loved my Ascent until the problems began 20K miles in.
Oh, don't get me wrong! I know full well that things may change in the near future (I'm only at 8K+). But, I have a good relationship with my dealer and had a few previous issues with my (multiple) Forester XTs. Each time, they were immediately documented and eventually fixed. One was pretty serious and SoA got involved and their attention was appreciated. The tough part is the "eventual" aspect of the fix. Eventual isn't very helpful for some repairs, that's for sure.

I wish you the best of luck as I know the resolution to your situation may help someone else suffering from the same.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You cannot ascertain how many Ascents (or any other make/model) are having issues from reading Internet discussion groups...the relatively few that do have issues speak loudly while the rest...the majority...are out there driving around and not posting anything. Complaints will always, always skew to the negative because of that. When you consider how many tens of thousands of Ascents are on the road, the percentage with problems like you are reading about is relatively small.
If you EVER want to know the problems a car (any car) is experiencing, get on a forum. Negative posts out weigh the positive ones 10 to 1 it seems at times. When there is a problem, EVEYONE chimes in. But, if you went by internet forums, every car would be a piece of garbage. its been 20+ years that I've been involved in forums and every single one was the same. Take the information with a grain of salt and make an educated decision based on multiple sources, not just a post about someone having an issue.

In my case, we love our Ascent so much, we went ahead and bought a Crosstrek too. Everyone has differing experiences!

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first 2021 ascent died one hour after i purchased it. Dead, never to work again. Dealership could not fix it and finally gave me a replacement. My replacement rolled down a hill into a tree while definitely in park. Snowing at the time but my Ford truck managed to stay put parked next to it. Dealership can’t find anything wrong. 🤦‍♀️ The touch screen locks up constantly and it is running slightly hot. Heading into the dealership Friday. Would never buy an ascent again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had my 2021 Ascent for a month and suddenly at a traffic signal everything went crazy all lights on dash flashing, steering locked up and brakes locked so I put it in park turned off the engine and restarted it, everything seemed to be ok . They ten minutes later doing 50 everything goes crazy again I lost power steering and acceleration, managed to get to the side of the road before everything shut down and would not restart.

Had it towed to the dealer where upon arrival it started straight up. Even though whilst waiting for the tow truck i tried several times to restart the car with no luck.

Still waiting for the dealer to come up with a reason or solution, as no error codes were detected and they have had the car two days and have not had any issue?

I am terrified of it happening again next time possibly coming down a mountain with all my grandkids in the car (reason for buying 8 seater in first place)

Please advise if anyone had same issue and what was done to correct the issue

thanks
It is a common problem, as you can see the string of >450 comments back in 2019 after many of us got the 1st Ascent. It happened to me while on a trip, where I ended up for a week while awaiting a transmission replacement. That’s just the tip of the iceberg for the Ascent. This was my first and will be my last Subaru.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
It is a common problem, as you can see the string of >450 comments back in 2019 after many of us got the 1st Ascent. It happened to me while on a trip, where I ended up for a week while awaiting a transmission replacement. That’s just the tip of the iceberg for the Ascent. This was my first and will be my last Subaru.
I am sure you know at this point that the problem had been the defective 2019 wiring harnesses and their potential negative interaction with the cvt. This was fully addressed by Subaru and is not an issue for 2020 and beyond. I had my harness replaced but did not need my cvt replaced on my 2019. No icebergs in our path. It is of course a scary moment when the Christmas lights come on and the vehicle shuts down. I would be upset as well and in fact I was but luckily for me I was in my driveway and I had read about the issue prior to my experiencing it. The lights coming on and the rest of the experience as scary as it is, is typically not something catastrophic for the new models. Anytime those lights come on, the check engine light is involved and the system is shutting down for protection. It could be as simple as the battery or the fuel filler cap. The dealer with Subaru's support will be able to figure it out and correct it. Meanwhile they will be in a loaner.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You cannot ascertain how many Ascents (or any other make/model) are having issues from reading Internet discussion groups...the relatively few that do have issues speak loudly while the rest...the majority...are out there driving around and not posting anything. Complaints will always, always skew to the negative because of that. When you consider how many tens of thousands of Ascents are on the road, the percentage with problems like you are reading about is relatively small.
I agree that "the percentage with problems like you are reading about is relatively small." However, that is cold comfort to someone who has experienced the problem. Especially when you are far from home and the service response is less than reassuring.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I agree that "the percentage with problems like you are reading about is relatively small." However, that is cold comfort to someone who has experienced the problem. Especially when you are far from home and the service response is less than reassuring.
we are adults so we should be prepared when driving anywhere. I have mostly been very lucky in my travels even when I have been stuck on Fifty Mile Road Grand Staircase Utah with no cell service and of course no vehicles in the last hour (I had already traveled 30 miles of dirt back roads). I got lucky when a car passed me and promised to call my AAA. I then got luckier when a AAA tow truck was in the area and arrived within 40 minutes. Top it off with a 100 mile tow to Green River Utah, an overnight in a motel (loosely defined) and a next day Greyhound bus trip (an experience of its own for sure) for my now wife to get back to Denver while I negotiated with a repair center. Stuff happens and we need to deal with it. BTW, that trip solidified my relationship with my now spouse. I figured if she could handle that, she could handle anything I throw at her.

Or how about the time my wife and 6 year old were scheduled to volunteer for the weekend for a fundraiser bike ride over mountain passes in Colorado. We left an early morning fishing experience and started driving out of Golden, CO when our well maintained minivan caught fire in the engine compartment. I got it over to the side of the road and got the family out of the vehicle. Passing vehicle stopped with fire extinguishers and then a fire truck came by. We were loaded up with bikes and luggage for the entire weekend. i ended up getting AAA to flat bed tow us 100 miles (we stayed in the tow truck cab) to Copper Mountain and dropped it off int he parking lot. We enjoyed the weekend bike ride and then had the AAA tow truck bring us and the vehicle back to Denver. Yes the vehicle was totaled.

Lesson: roll with the punches and keep walking.

update point of clarification: these experiences were with two different manufacturers other than Subaru.

·
Registered
137 Posts
we are adults so we should be prepared when driving anywhere. I have mostly been very lucky in my travels even when I have been stuck on Fifty Mile Road Grand Staircase Utah with no cell service and of course no vehicles in the last hour (I had already traveled 30 miles of dirt back roads). I got lucky when a car passed me and promised to call my AAA. I then got luckier when a AAA tow truck was in the area and arrived within 40 minutes. Top it off with a 100 mile tow to Green River Utah, an overnight in a motel (loosely defined) and a next day Greyhound bus trip (an experience of its own for sure) for my now wife to get back to Denver while I negotiated with a repair center. Stuff happens and we need to deal with it. BTW, that trip solidified my relationship with my now spouse. I figured if she could handle that, she could handle anything I throw at her.

Or how about the time my wife and 6 year old were scheduled to volunteer for the weekend for a fundraiser bike ride over mountain passes in Colorado. We left an early morning fishing experience and started driving out of Golden, CO when our well maintained minivan caught fire in the engine compartment. I got it over to the side of the road and got the family out of the vehicle. Passing vehicle stopped with fire extinguishers and then a fire truck came by. We were loaded up with bikes and luggage for the entire weekend. i ended up getting AAA to flat bed tow us 100 miles (we stayed in the tow truck cab) to Copper Mountain and dropped it off int he parking lot. We enjoyed the weekend bike ride and then had the AAA tow truck bring us and the vehicle back to Denver. Yes the vehicle was totaled.

Lesson: roll with the punches and keep walking.

View attachment 11411
Now I understand what the salesman meant when he said, "You don't look like the typical Subaru owner." He was right. We should have walked then and there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am sure you know at this point that the problem had been the defective 2019 wiring harnesses and their potential negative interaction with the cvt. This was fully addressed by Subaru and is not an issue for 2020 and beyond. I had my harness replaced but did not need my cvt replaced on my 2019. No icebergs in our path. It is of course a scary moment when the Christmas lights come on and the vehicle shuts down. I would be upset as well and in fact I was but luckily for me I was in my driveway and I had read about the issue prior to my experiencing it. The lights coming on and the rest of the experience as scary as it is, is typically not something catastrophic for the new models. Anytime those lights come on, the check engine light is involved and the system is shutting down for protection. It could be as simple as the battery or the fuel filler cap. The dealer with Subaru's support will be able to figure it out and correct it. Meanwhile they will be in a loaner.
So as I think I have mentioned above, my Ascent Is a 2020 and is having the all lights on issue. They are replacing the wiring harness. You say that this has not been an issue beyond 2019, yet this fix was recommended by a Subaru of America regional guy who is now involved (per a service bulletin he says). Should I be wary of this repair? I was assured that this will fix the issue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I am sure you know at this point that the problem had been the defective 2019 wiring harnesses and their potential negative interaction with the cvt. This was fully addressed by Subaru and is not an issue for 2020 and beyond. I had my harness replaced but did not need my cvt replaced on my 2019.
I'm pretty familiar with the WUV-07 recall that only applies to 2019. On my 2019 I did not have any symptoms so Service updated the TCU and called it good. Still no issues from me including some low/medium weight towing although my mileage is still relatively low, <17k mi. There are no other recalls against the CVT for any year that I'm aware of.

That said, there is a TSB that applies to all years Ascent and other models that have TR580 and TR690 that helps to diagnose chain slipping. Repairs range from replacing the CVT/TCM to performing the relearning processes to doing nothing. A root cause is not provided. My point is that 2019's are not the only year with issues. Is another recall looming? Who knows? I only hope that if there actually is a root cause they find it and correct it instead of just replacing with another potentially defective part. I'm pretty confident Subaru will make it right based on my personal experiences and those voiced here. After the warranty is over though, extended or not, we're on our own. That's a little scary.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,267 Posts
Yes, but I was addressing a different person with my comment...they were quoted for context. Earlier in the thread, I mentioned to the OP that what they were experiencing was not normal.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
So as I think I have mentioned above, my Ascent Is a 2020 and is having the all lights on issue. They are replacing the wiring harness. You say that this has not been an issue beyond 2019, yet this fix was recommended by a Subaru of America regional guy who is now involved (per a service bulletin he says). Should I be wary of this repair? I was assured that this will fix the issue.
I would ask them if they replaced the harness based on the same concern with the 2019 harness (which I doubt) and if they did notm ask them to explain the technical details of the replacement. It is certainly possible that your specific harness was defective, just like any part of any product. Ask them what test/results they performed to determine it was defective.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Had my 2021 Ascent for a month and suddenly at a traffic signal everything went crazy all lights on dash flashing, steering locked up and brakes locked ...
I haven't had the same issue as you, but I experienced a kind of similar issue when the battery died (kids left a couple of interior lights on overnight--I don't have the more power-efficient LED interior lights). The dashboard lit up, but the car did not want to start. Of course in my case it didn't happen while driving, I just couldn't get it started cold.

I'm wondering if you have a loose battery connection, which may explain why it sometimes starts, and sometimes doesn't. If the dealer hasn't had issues, I wonder if someone (towing company, dealership) disconnected and reconnected the battery and inadvertently fixed the problem.

That's all complete guess though. Please let us know if you have any updates.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had my 2021 Ascent for a month and suddenly at a traffic signal everything went crazy all lights on dash flashing, steering locked up and brakes locked so I put it in park turned off the engine and restarted it, everything seemed to be ok . They ten minutes later doing 50 everything goes crazy again I lost power steering and acceleration, managed to get to the side of the road before everything shut down and would not restart.

Had it towed to the dealer where upon arrival it started straight up. Even though whilst waiting for the tow truck i tried several times to restart the car with no luck.

Still waiting for the dealer to come up with a reason or solution, as no error codes were detected and they have had the car two days and have not had any issue?

I am terrified of it happening again next time possibly coming down a mountain with all my grandkids in the car (reason for buying 8 seater in first place)

Please advise if anyone had same issue and what was done to correct the issue

thanks
Is the same issue some of us had with Transmission? This happened to a lot of ppl with their 2019’s and to me. It was very scary.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,267 Posts
Is the same issue some of us had with Transmission? This happened to a lot of ppl with their 2019’s and to me. It was very scary.
There was a set of 2019 VINs that had a transmission wiring harness that caused some transmission failures. The problem wasn't the transmission which has been in use by Subaru for over twelve years now. There was a recall for it, too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would ask them if they replaced the harness based on the same concern with the 2019 harness (which I doubt) and if they did notm ask them to explain the technical details of the replacement. It is certainly possible that your specific harness was defective, just like any part of any product. Ask them what test/results they performed to determine it was defective.
I did not ask them what tests they did to determine it was defective, however the regional service guru guy (out of NJ - I’m in WV) was positive that this was the issue. They replaced my wiring harness based on Service Bulletin #16-128-20R. My 2020 Ascent VIN number reflects that I had the old wiring harness (before they introduced the replacement/newer one). Fingers crossed that this fixed the problem. Also, SOA has offered me a 100,000/10 year power train warranty to make me feel better. So far, so good as far as Subaru trying to make things good for me. If this doesn’t fix the problem I will write more on the thread!

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I did not ask them what tests they did to determine it was defective, however the regional service guru guy (out of NJ - I’m in WV) was positive that this was the issue. They replaced my wiring harness based on Service Bulletin #16-128-20R. My 2020 Ascent VIN number reflects that I had the old wiring harness (before they introduced the replacement/newer one). Fingers crossed that this fixed the problem. Also, SOA has offered me a 100,000/10 year power train warranty to make me feel better. So far, so good as far as Subaru trying to make things good for me. If this doesn’t fix the problem I will write more on the thread!
It is very curious that your 2020 Ascent had a older defective wire harness version installed. Maybe Robert could comment on how this happens? I had the impression that it was only 2019 that had the older harness installed. I would like to learn what build date was the demarcation for old versus new wiring harness installations?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is very curious that your 2020 Ascent had a older defective wire harness version installed. Maybe Robert could comment on how this happens? I had the impression that it was only 2019 that had the older harness installed. I would like to learn what build date was the demarcation for old versus new wiring harness installations?
I can’t tell you anything about the build date, but the Service Bulletin indicates that the new harnesses started with the VINS L3441927 for the Ascents. Mine is L341. The Service Bulletin was updated on 01/26/2021. The APPLICABILITY section says: 2020MY Legacy and Outback 2.4L Turbo and 2019-20MY Ascent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
My car is still in the shop they couldn’t find the parts anywhere in the US and had to have it specially ordered from Japan they are saying it is the engine control module and ignition coils and harness?? The parts should arrive the week of April 5th

21 - 40 of 48 Posts