Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm underwhelmed with the performance of the AC in our 2021 Premium after a weekend trip to the beach. Outside temps were hitting highs in the mid-90s and the AC was barely keeping up on max cold settings. It's blowing cooler air than ambient temperatures but not ice cold like it should be.

Compared to my 2016 Tundra and 2018 Silverado it's not even close. Vehicle is only a few weeks old with approx. 1000 miles. It is wearing an AscentScreen on the lower grill opening. I've searched the forums and read all about the AC leaks most common in the 2019s but has anyone had any issues with the 21's?

Conveniently I'm already scheduled in the service dept tomorrow to have our hitch put on and I'll mention it there and report back.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Premium Blue Abyss
249 Posts
Hi, I have the same model/year make. I live in Vegas and mine is COLD you need to take it to the dealership to get checked out. I had to turn my temps up to a warmer setting as it was too cold while 112 outside.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Let us know how it goes. The 2019's had a leaky connection that got recalled. Mine wasn't affected. It was nice and cold until the condenser got damaged. All is well again after the repair. Good on you for being proactive with the screen.

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
174 Posts
Definitely get it evaluated. But make sure that you're using the "Full Auto" mode on the AC. If you just have it on Auto, it will cool down but the fan will be going whatever speed it was previously set to and even if it's blowing 45 degree air, it won't circulate if it's on a low fan setting. You may have already checked this all out, but it's a dumb mistake I made with my first Ascent in the first heat wave I had to deal with. We also had the evaporator pipe issue in our 2019, but that got fixed and never caused another problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They evaluated it and said it was fine as far as they could tell. It is blowing cold air in the 45 degree range. They said I should bring it back if I think its underperforming again going forward. It cooled off significantly here the last few days, so I may have to wait for it to heat back up to give it another stress test.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
249 Posts
Get a gadget that reads temps. I have issues with my work and the a/c going up and down in temp so I bought a digital thermometer (has date, time and temp on it) so can take photos of it to prove my case.. Might work in your situation too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, full auto. Didn't seem to keep up with the heat but will monitor and report back. Since the heatwave broke it hasn't been noticeable and the AC seems cold enough

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks - our Ltd is very cold, and needs very little fan speed. Live in Florida and past week have been driving through MS delta, Arkansas hills at 98F, MO at 95F ... ice cold!

·
Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
174 Posts
Yep, full auto. Didn't seem to keep up with the heat but will monitor and report back. Since the heatwave broke it hasn't been noticeable and the AC seems cold enough
One thing to keep in mind is time.

a lot of air volume in the vehicle and if it's hot on the inside, it can take a good bit of time to get it cooled down on the inside. If you're starting off with the interior of the car 90+ and you're only driving for 20 minutes or so, no way are you going to get it cooled off by the time you get where you're going. Drive for an hour or more though and it will seem more than cool enough, since most of your time will be spent with the car completely cooled off.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is time.

a lot of air volume in the vehicle and if it's hot on the inside, it can take a good bit of time to get it cooled down on the inside. If you're starting off with the interior of the car 90+ and you're only driving for 20 minutes or so, no way are you going to get it cooled off by the time you get where you're going. Drive for an hour or more though and it will seem more than cool enough, since most of your time will be spent with the car completely cooled off.
those are the times I appreciate remote start.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Do you have recirculate on? If you don't, it won't get so cold. The AC is ok. I've been in 118ish with it. It'll take a bit to cool the car down when it gets above 105. It's not R12 based AC, which cools better than R134a which cools better than 1234yf, which what I think they use in the Ascent. It's an environment reason for the changes. I've had cars that used R12 and they could freeze me out.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,440 Posts
Full Auto mode will use recirc as needed to do the most efficient cooling job. But there's a big volume of air in there to cool. Be sure the rear AC is engaged, too, if equipped. I keep that synced in my Touring.

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It still hasn't been as hot as it was when I made the post but have been using full auto and running the rear synced and haven't had any issues. At this point I don't think anything is functionally wrong but was merely a perception issue and not using the system to its full potential

·
Registered
249 Posts
It still hasn't been as hot as it was when I made the post but have been using full auto and running the rear synced and haven't had any issues. At this point I don't think anything is functionally wrong but was merely a perception issue and not using the system to its full potential
I've a spare room here in vegas if you want to come try it out. Should be around 110 today :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm underwhelmed with the performance of the AC in our 2021 Premium after a weekend trip to the beach. Outside temps were hitting highs in the mid-90s and the AC was barely keeping up on max cold settings. It's blowing cooler air than ambient temperatures but not ice cold like it should be.

Compared to my 2016 Tundra and 2018 Silverado it's not even close. Vehicle is only a few weeks old with approx. 1000 miles. It is wearing an AscentScreen on the lower grill opening. I've searched the forums and read all about the AC leaks most common in the 2019s but has anyone had any issues with the 21's?

Conveniently I'm already scheduled in the service dept tomorrow to have our hitch put on and I'll mention it there and report back.
Phoenix owner here.
works great but here’s how it cools fastest for me on 115 degree days. Lower windows to blow out hot air, then roll up and turn on recirc AC, front only, get that cold air in. The rear ac vents take longer to cool the actual tubes in the roof. Do the front first to get coldest air, then Engage rear. It will cool with front and rear too, but the driver and front passenger will stay hot longer.
Remote start also makes a huge difference. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts