Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spouse got in car this morning - would not start.

I came out and gave her the other key - asked her to open and close door - and I placed the original key about 60 ft away - came back - shut door - started fine.

She leaves - call 20 minutes later at her first stop - would not start. She opened door, got out, shut door, walked about 50' away while key in pocket - walked back - started fine.

Battery is fine - when it starts it is a hot battery.

I've seen two tidbits online:
1. Make sure brake pedal is firmly pressed
2. Jiggle the steering wheel

Other thoughts?

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Check the FOB battery (though, if it starts with that FOB, and the battery is low, the car should tell you that).

Tap-press the button and give the car a second to start itself, don't press and hold the button, while waiting for the car to start.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I buy CR2032's from various good manufacturers at a rate of a dozen a pack (I use them in my hats with LED lights for night photography, and in a gazillion other devices, especially when I am working on old computers), and, oddly, I run into 1-2 every dozen or so that are near dead, in an otherwise great back. Oddest thing. And I've bought many hundreds of them (one order was for refurbishing nearly 300 old Compaq Evos, for instance). Baffles me.

ANYWAYS... to try not to ramble any longer, I'm saying, I hope it's just a FOB battery issue... it does happen. If not, and you can't track it down to anything else, I'd bring it in to be diagnosed. Could be a BCM issue.

One last thought... tell her keep the FOB more towards the center of the car. If it's in or on or very near the door, the outside sensing antenna may be picking it up, especially with a new battery in it, and thus the system is getting confused whether the FOB is outside or inside (in which case, it shouldn't start).

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,197 Posts
tell her keep the FOB more towards the center of the car. If it's in or on or very near the door, the outside sensing antenna may be picking it up, especially with a new battery in it, and thus the system is getting confused whether the FOB is outside or inside (in which case, it shouldn't start).
It also won't lock any doors or close the tail gate if one fob is anywhere inside and one is outside attempting to lock or close.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - so far no repeats.

We swapped fobs, left the one not in use on the other side of the house from the normal location.

With previous cars, we have always carried both keys with us - I would key one in my pocket and wife would keep one in her purse, unless in use. Will this cause confusion as she is outside the car when I try and start, or she is walking towards car and getting in as I start?

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
105 Posts
Will this cause confusion as she is outside the car when I try and start, or she is walking towards car and getting in as I start?
No, this shouldn't cause any issues at all. My wife and I both have our keys "on" us when we are in my Ascent, and her Sienna (push-button start) and never had any issues.

But, like @Titanrx8 mentioned, there is some logic built into the system when one set of keys is purposely/accidentally left in the car. Here is what I have noticed:

If my wife leaves her keys in the car when we exit, but I have mine on me ... and I try to touch the handle to lock the car ... it will NOT (long beep). I can use my fob and press the lock button to lock the vehicle in this situation. But, what's interesting is that if I lock the car (one set of keys left in the vehicle) with the fob, simply placing your hand into the cup of the door handle will not unlock the car. You need to use the fob again.

Whether it's the intent or not, I like the logic because it seems to be the car's way of reminding me that 1) I left a set of keys in my car, and 2) ensuring I still have another set on my (outside of the car) before allowing me to lock the car.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,285 Posts
Whether it's the intent or not, I like the logic because it seems to be the car's way of reminding me that 1) I left a set of keys in my car, and 2) ensuring I still have another set on my (outside of the car) before allowing me to lock the car.
Yes, I think it's a smart implementation. You can lock a fob in the car, but only with another fob. You can't lock a fob in the car by pushing the lock sensor area on the door handle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts