Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this Forum very helpful in researching Subarus, so I thought I would add my 2 cents' worth. I purchased my Ascent in June 2020. I had never driven a Subaru before. My past two cars were Acura MDXs. My 20-year-old MDX, with 250,000 miles, needed a number of fixes (all associated with being 20 years old). Since my wife's 10-year-old MDX had 187,000 miles, it was time for a new SUV. I am 64 years old, 6'6" tall and over 300 lbs. My criteria for a new car included: 1. under $50,000, 2. adequate legroom, headroom and knee room, and 3. a Consumer Reports reliability rate of "average" or above. Amazingly enough, these filters left me with only 2 choices: the Ascent or a 3-year-old Chevy Tahoe. (I really liked the Kia Telluride, but the overly-wide and -high console did not allow enough knee room. I found this to be a problem with almost all of the SUVs and cars I tried). I found a 2017 Tahoe to be comfortable, but not enjoyable to drive. It felt too big for in-town driving and parking. The Ascent's driving manners were better than the Tahoe but the driver's seat is somewhat confining (for my over-sized frame). Despite this, I bought the Ascent, with the intention of getting a local auto upholstery shop to add some padding to the seat. Thus, the Ascent was the best compromise for me. In retrospect, it seems like a good decision. The price I received was about $5,500 off list and the dealership experience was good. The car has performed flawlessly and has averaged about 18 mpg in all in-town driving. The engine, transmission, controls and driving dynamics are different from what I've been familiar with, but I've gotten used to them. My wife comments that, from a distance, it is hard to pick it out from any other white SUV in the parking lot. It is bland and inoffensive. That sums up the rest of the car as well. The best analogy I can give is to an appliance...it does the job but no one gets excited about a continuously-operating refrigerator. Here's hoping that my Subaru appliance can work as long as my much-missed MDX.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Our baseline is our 2005 Acura MDX which is nearing in on 178k miles now. It has been a fantastic vehicle, with original engine, transmission, drivetrain, and even original shocks and struts. It drives beautifully and it's a car we plan to keep for a long time still. Our 2020 Ascent replaced it as our primary family vehicle and, like you, we had to adapt to certain things about it. I prefer the conservative styling of the Ascent to some of the more ostentatious styling applied to some of its competition. We're "simple" folk with simple taste in cars. We bought our MDX from my parents back in 2010 to replace a lemon of a minivan we had at the time (2007 Chrysler T&C), and it parks in the garage next to the Ascent (the Ascent kicked the Ridgeline out!). The Ascent nearly dwarfs the ol' MDX sitting side-by-side.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goodbye to Suby. We recently bid goodbye to our Ascent. In 7,000+ miles, we never had a problem, but my wife could not get used to the various beeps and while I liked driving it around town, I always felt somewhat nervous about the overly-assisted steering while driving on the highway. We traded it in on another MDX; Acura was clearing out the 2020s at fire-sale prices. The good news was the trade-in value. Our purchase price was a bit under $40K and we sold it 9 months later for $36K.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,896 Posts
but my wife could not get used to the various beeps
Most can be turned off... ;) ...but if you both were not happy, no problem in moving on. Best wishes!

Reactions: ctpreviti

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,179 Posts
Good luck with your 2020 MDX! My folks sold their 2005 MDX to us when they bought their 2014 MDX...which has well over 100k miles now and has been another great Honda/Acura product for our family. They're looking to trade it on a 2022 MDX Type-S with the turbo 3.0 V-6 when it comes out later this year. They're great cars, MDXes, and I trust you new one will serve you well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.