Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

We just purchased the Abyss Blue Touring Ascent and are in love with. I am already looking at a few mods and am wondering what are some of the first changes/additions y'all made to your Ascent?

My top three as of day three with it are as follows.
1.Tow Hitch
2. Roof Rack/camping pop up
3. New wheels/tires

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Buy the OEM hitch, it's up to you what you want to do with the cross bars but I'm not going to waste money on THULE.

also, and this is a personal opinion, I've owned a lot of vehicles in the last 20 years and only one time have I ever put on aftermarket wheels. It's a waste of money. As for the tires, unless you plan on going off road, I would just keep the stock ones on until they wear out at 50,000 miles. but that's my personal opinion. it's your money, I don't care what you do with it

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,904 Posts
Lots of threads in the appropriate forum discussion areas for each of those questions. Definitely the OEM hitch kit if you intend to tow...third party no comparison in vehicle integration and safety testing.

Reactions: BypolaLoompa

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm a huge fan of roof rack usage. The Ascent doesn't feel the weight much at all. Hanging in my garage for mounting on our Thule old-style risers and rectangular load bars:
  • 2 single-bike racks
  • 4-ski ski rack
  • Large Thule aero container (we call it Spock's Tomb, or "The Chicklet")
  • 72" x 48" Roof Top Tent (unfolds to a 72" x 96" mattress)
Unless you wash your own car, you might keep in mind that you can't take your car through an automatic car wash with anything on the roof. I have a dirty Ascent, as I kept the tent on much of the year (in California, we had "last minute" campouts that I always wanted to be ready for; not sure if that'll be the case in the new Texas digs, given the weather).

As for the hitch, absolutely positively go OEM -- best integration, crash worthiness, and tow capacity. I tow trailers and also put on a large locking hitch box for long trailerless trips with the full family, pets, and everyone's stuff. Also have a 4-bike hitch rack, but we haven't used that much.

T.P.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a huge fan of roof rack usage. The Ascent doesn't feel the weight much at all. Hanging in my garage for mounting on our Thule old-style risers and rectangular load bars:
  • 2 single-bike racks
  • 4-ski ski rack
Unless you wash your own car, you might keep in mind that you can't take your car through an automatic car wash with anything on the roof. I have a dirty Ascent, as I kept the tent on much of the year (in California, we had "last minute" campouts that I always wanted to be ready for; not sure if that'll be the case in the new Texas digs, given the weather).

As for the hitch, absolutely positively go OEM -- best integration, crash worthiness, and tow capacity. I tow trailers and also put on a large locking hitch box for long trailerless trips with the full family, pets, and everyone's stuff. Also have a 4-bike hitch rack, but we haven't used that much.

T.P.

Thank you. Very helpful!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
  • 2 single-bike racks
  • 4-ski ski rack

T.P.
Lots of threads in the appropriate forum discussion areas for each of those questions. Definitely the OEM hitch kit if you intend to tow...third party no comparison in vehicle integration and safety testing.
Thx .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buy the OEM hitch, it's up to you what you want to do with the cross bars but I'm not going to waste money on THULE.

also, and this is a personal opinion, I've owned a lot of vehicles in the last 20 years and only one time have I ever put on aftermarket wheels. It's a waste of money. As for the tires, unless you plan on going off road, I would just keep the stock ones on until they wear out at 50,000 miles. but that's my personal opinion. it's your money, I don't care what you do with it

Makes sense to me!! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all.

We just purchased the Abyss Blue Touring Ascent and are in love with. I am already looking at a few mods and am wondering what are some of the first changes/additions y'all made to your Ascent?

My top three as of day three with it are as follows.
1.Tow Hitch
2. Roof Rack/camping pop up
3. New wheels/tires

All thoughts and comments appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.