Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
I bought a 2019 Touring. I also went back and forth between the sport and touring. I really wanted Carplay and the heated seats. They told me both could be added later.

To be honest, I don't use my Carplay that much. It is nice for navigation, but sometimes it takes a while to load, and sometimes it acts a little funky. My old mazda did not have the mazda entertainment screen dealio, just bluetooth, so not sure if the funky is from the entire system or the carplay, or if it was improved at all for 2020.

I did purchase the little sd card for the built in navigation, but that is not easy to use. I like it as a backup

·
Registered
690 Posts
Hm... Ascent do not come in Sport in US or CA .. Touring in US is top of the line like Premier in CA.
CarPlay takes 2-5 seconds to connect at most , speed of it after connection depends on your phone

Ascent don't use sd card for the built in navigation...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,165 Posts
To be honest, I don't use my Carplay that much. It is nice for navigation, but sometimes it takes a while to load, and sometimes it acts a little funky. My old mazda did not have the mazda entertainment screen dealio, just bluetooth, so not sure if the funky is from the entire system or the carplay, or if it was improved at all for 2020.
That is not my experience with my MY19. CarPlay is active within a few seconds of plugging in my iPhone. The only delay might be if I hadn't unlocked the phone previously within a defined time window and outside of that window, CP requires one to authenticate on the phone before it will connect. This is a security feature to help prevent use after a theft. If you are experiencing wonky behavior, be sure you have the most current firmware on your vehicle. Most issues that folks experience in the past have been addressed. It's rare that I have an odd behavior when using CarPlay and I use it nearly daily.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent Touring
6 Posts
Hi There,

Congrats on your purchase!

I am new to this group. I bought a new 2020 Abyss blue Touring. I love this car, but it has given me so much trouble. I usually lurk and read, but I would like some input on the Ascent Touring. I got loaner due to issues with my car, and the 2021 limited is sooooo much faster and more responsive. Am I going crazy? My touring does not feel as fast or responsive. Plus my car battery keeps leaking. This will be the 2nd time they have to replace the touring battery. I am still happy with my purchase, but need assurance that its normal that the touring power is slower than then the limited. Do I need to bring this up to the dealership....

Thanks for any input.

New 2020 Subaru Touring mom

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
I bought a new 2020 Abyss blue Touring. I love this car, but it has given me so much trouble. I usually lurk and read, but I would like some input on the Ascent Touring. I got loaner due to issues with my car, and the 2021 limited is sooooo much faster and more responsive. Am I going crazy? My touring does not feel as fast or responsive. Plus my car battery keeps leaking. This will be the 2nd time they have to replace the touring battery. I am still happy with my purchase, but need assurance that its normal that the touring power is slower than then the limited. Do I need to bring this up to the dealership....
Hello, and welcome. It sounds like your particular vehicle certainly has some issues. The fact that the battery's been replaced one already and is leaking again is strange. Both the factory battery and the replacement battery have leaked? From where did they leak? Is there a pinhole in the battery case somewhere? Or did they leak out of a battery vent? I suppose that could indicate some sort of overcharging situation, like a faulty alternator or voltage regulator. Your dealership should be able to diagnose this -- and I'd ask for some confirmation the alternator is charging correctly now that you've had two batteries replaced for the same thing now.

The powertrain itself (engine, transmission, etc.) is identical in all Ascent trims. Base, Premium, Limited, and Touring all have the same engine, transmission, gear ratios, etc. You shouldn't feel a significant difference in performance between any of them. And the powertrains have been the same for all model years also (2019, 2020, and 2021). Quite truly, every Ascent on the road today should drive more or less the same.

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
FancyFox, it's certainly disappointing to hear that you've been having issues with your MY20 Ascent. One thing I can assure you of is that there's no actual discernible performance difference between a Touring trim and an Limited trim other than anything minor from slight differences in weight from included content. So it's about the specific vehicle. Hopefully, your dealer will get you setup, but if things continue, contact SOA directly to get their assistance and a case number that goes with that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, and welcome. It sounds like your particular vehicle certainly has some issues. The fact that the battery's been replaced one already and is leaking again is strange. Both the factory battery and the replacement battery have leaked? From where did they leak? Is there a pinhole in the battery case somewhere? Or did they leak out of a battery vent? I suppose that could indicate some sort of overcharging situation, like a faulty alternator or voltage regulator. Your dealership should be able to diagnose this -- and I'd ask for some confirmation the alternator is charging correctly now that you've had two batteries replaced for the same thing now.

The powertrain itself (engine, transmission, etc.) is identical in all Ascent trims. Base, Premium, Limited, and Touring all have the same engine, transmission, gear ratios, etc. You shouldn't feel a significant difference in performance between any of them. And the powertrains have been the same for all model years also (2019, 2020, and 2021). Quite truly, every Ascent on the road today should drive more or less the same.
Thank you so much for your response. The dealership says I need to complain to SOA to create a claim. Im sad that I have to do this. I can tell the performance of the car is not as fast as the loaner which has now got me thinking something is wrong with the car :(

The leakage is the same as the first. I took a picture this time before I submitted it to the dealership. It sounds like they are keeping the car longer to run diagnostics. I am now feeling even more sad to hear this. It explains all the multiple jump starts throughout the camping trips we've had for the last 1 1/2 years. I just thought it was the way Subaru made their cars...That was the whole reason I came to this forum was because of the battery issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
FancyFox, it's certainly disappointing to hear that you've been having issues with your MY20 Ascent. One thing I can assure you of is that there's no actual discernible performance difference between a Touring trim and an Limited trim other than anything minor from slight differences in weight from included content. So it's about the specific vehicle. Hopefully, your dealer will get you setup, but if things continue, contact SOA directly to get their assistance and a case number that goes with that.
Thank you for your response. The dealership is trying to fix it as we speak. I'll bring up the performance issue now that I can clearly tell the difference between the performance of the loaner compared to the car I have. I'll have to contact SOA directly to start a case number. This is more than I bargain for.......I still love this car so much. I wouldn't trade it for any other make. Its so much fun when we first got it. :(

·
Super Moderator
4,165 Posts
FancyFox, the hard reality is that no matter what the brand or model, sometimes there's "that vehicle" that just doesn't cut the mustard. While contacting SOA is a bit of a pain, it good for both you and for your dealer service department to get this on record. Most folks do not have issues even though sometimes it might seem like that when you read about problems in internet forums like this. People who are not happy are very inclined to post about it, but the overwhelming majority are out driving around with big grins on their faces with no time to post about their happiness. 'Nature of the beast...

The bottom line for the battery is that it needs replaced and at this point it should be a non-OEM battery and that shouldn't be too much of an issue with SOA support. Others have gotten satisfaction with that. Hopefully, your service department, with the help of SOA, can identify and rectify whatever is causing you to feel that your Ascent's performance isn't up to snuff, too.

Reactions: FancyFox

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
The top of your battery looks very wet. Our 2020 Touring's battery (car built Feb 2020) is completely dry on the top. Given that two batteries have failed in the same way, it does seem to me that the batteries are collateral damage...a symptom of something else (like something faulty in the charging system).

It's interesting that your dealer suggested calling SoA. That's what I'd suggest also (though it's usually not the dealer advising you to do so -- I think they usually like to handle that stuff themselves). Maybe they've tried some diagnosis and cannot find any other issues with the car, so they'd like SoA to be aware of what's happening here.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The top of your battery looks very wet. Our 2020 Touring's battery (car built Feb 2020) is completely dry on the top. Given that two batteries have failed in the same way, it does seem to me that the batteries are collateral damage...a symptom of something else (like something faulty in the charging system).

It's interesting that your dealer suggested calling SoA. That's what I'd suggest also (though it's usually not the dealer advising you to do so -- I think they usually like to handle that stuff themselves). Maybe they've tried some diagnosis and cannot find any other issues with the car, so they'd like SoA to be aware of what's happening here.
Yes. I think they gave up on me cause they couldn’t figure out what’s wrong with it. I already sent a complaint to SOA. Wish me luck 😟

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi FancyFox. I also have issues with the battery. I got my Ascent Touring in May 2020 and 10,000km last week, battery died twice on me. Got it for service they replaced the battery. If you read up on the battery discussion in this forum, they suggest getting an Odyssey battery. It has something to do with the tailgate (read in the forum discussion here). Please tell me what happened to your claim. Thanks. I wonder if there is anyone in Canada that had similar issue and what did they do, how was it resolved by Subaru Canada.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi FancyFox. I also have issues with the battery. I got my Ascent Touring in May 2020 and 10,000km last week, battery died twice on me. Got it for service they replaced the battery. If you read up on the battery discussion in this forum, they suggest getting an Odyssey battery. It has something to do with the tailgate (read in the forum discussion here). Please tell me what happened to your claim. Thanks. I wonder if there is anyone in Canada that had similar issue and what did they do, how was it resolved by Subaru Canada.
I am sorry your going thru it too :( I'll update as soon as I hear from them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.