Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had the car for a year now, and honestly, we mostly love it. I've been reading here all along about the CVT, so, I hope y'all don't yell at me and tell me to just suck it up and deal with it. :)

That being said, ever since they did some software update on the CVT, the stupid thing is not smooth. When you start the car and back up, it "shudders". Dealer looked at it, said it was fine, can't reproduce. When we tried again a few months later, they said they were able to both reproduce it, AND duplicate it on 2 other vehicles on their lot. They talked to Subaru, and receive a "tech note" saying to let the car run for 15 seconds before driving. So, that's what we do, and yes, it's better.

Still, it's not smooth to accelerate, it jumps around a little. I know CVTs, I drive my father-in-law's Accord, I also have a Kawasaki Mule with a CVT, both of those are smooth as butter.

Anyway, based on interest rates, honestly, I'm considering trading out for a 2021 (I know I'll lose on depreciation, but, my sales rep treats us really well, and we got a good deal on this one) since we're only 11k miles in, and continue to be irritated by the CVT.

Anything know different/better/whatever with the '21? Exactly the same? I can clearly just go drive some, but, I read here every week, so thought I'd check with y'all.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Still, it's not smooth to accelerate, it jumps around a little. I know CVTs, I drive my father-in-law's Accord, I also have a Kawasaki Mule with a CVT, both of those are smooth as butter.

Those CVT's use dinky little belts and operate differently. Some Audi's are the only CVT based cars with CVTs like ours.

As you break in your car, the CVT will start to shift smoother, but, it WILL shift (yes, even though it doesn't have gears and even though it doesn't have to). Fake shifting is programmed into it.

I know you're at 11,000 miles, but CVT relearning starts again at the CVT programming update.

When you start the car and back up, it should only shudder if you shift and try to move before reverse is fully engaged, or, while it's surge filling the CVT variator cones. That's normal behavior due to abnormal use. I too was in the habit of shifting the lever and trying to move before the car finished shifting into gear. You can feel it engage, just like any other automatic, whether CVT chain, CVT belt, or gear based. Just wait until you feel it engage. You don't want to eat your reverse clutch for the sake of 5-10 seconds.

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
What did you trade for?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exact same car, 2021. We love it actually. Honestly, our daughter damaged it yesterday (the 2020), and we were going to have an insurance claim on it. So, the better interest rate, and the not needing to file a claim, almost absorbed our 1st year depreciation on the 2020. And, with the COVID specials our lender had, we skipped 5 payments this year (pushing the note out, no additional interest), so, we had only made a few payments on the 2020 anyway. They transferred the extended warranty to the new one since it hadn't been used at all (little bit of paper work), my wife has the black interior now (I loved the Java, she didn't). They'll put the hitch on it next week once it comes in, and we'll be in business. Love the car. The new lane keep / steering system seems crazy. Not sure exactly how beneficial it is since you've got to get your hands up there, but, still a neat "toy".

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Nice, and congrats!!! If you wouldn't mind posting pics of that interior in the appropriate forum section, I am very sure you will win over a number of fans. A lot of people are interested in seeing the Touring with black interior (not me, I too am one of the people that fell in love with the Java).

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Your dealer is thanking you for all the cash you put in their pockets. Glad you like the 2021. The black interior you shared looks great, and will be the most chosen interior color for the Touring going forward.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice, and congrats!!! If you wouldn't mind posting pics of that interior in the appropriate forum section, I am very sure you will win over a number of fans. A lot of people are interested in seeing the Touring with black interior (not me, I too am one of the people that fell in love with the Java).
When you have young kids, black is always the appropriate choice of interior. Lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Robert, have not been on for awhile. I noticed my 20 is shuddering when coming into a slower area after driving for awhile then accelerating. Any news on any updates to the cvt from Subaru or anything you can request from the dealer?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,200 Posts
The black interior you shared looks great, and will be the most chosen interior color for the Touring going forward.
Not by all of us who hate black interiors. :) :D I'd like the dove grey that's in Professor Dr. SWMBO's MY20 Forester Limited, honestly.

OP, Congrats on your new MY21 Ascent! Enjoy!

·
Administrator
11,117 Posts
Hey Robert, have not been on for awhile. I noticed my 20 is shuddering when coming into a slower area after driving for awhile then accelerating. Any news on any updates to the cvt from Subaru or anything you can request from the dealer?
If it's shuddering, I'd have it checked out. If I had to guess, it could be (a) brakes, (b) AWD transfer clutch needs break-in, (c) a different clutch assembly needs computer relearn, (d) torque converter issue. A relearn or break in is pretty simple. Hopefully it's just that.

·
Read Only
23 Posts
I’ve been performing an experiment with my 2019. I’ve noticed fuel mileage has slightly increased by manually shifting up to 40-50mph then bump it over to drive around town shifting at 2500-3000 rpm. I’ve noticed it’s much smoother, no hunting between boost and trans ratio. If they had a sport mode that would delay the trans up ratio...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts