Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Kansas... a place where wind lives. My first trip to Colorado experienced a side wind gust of estimated 45 mph and passing trailers at posted 75MPH the car hood would vibrate excessively. Couple the side wind gust the car sways and constant wheel adjustment to keep between the lines or the automatic steering would kick in to get off the median line... took vehicle to dealership and they adjusted two front spacers telling me it was fixed. Also got a front end alignment. Today another gusty day experienced the same issues.... I have been a Subaru customer for over 19 years and unhappy with my Touring quality. Vehicle has only 1,500 miles and concerned with my family’s safety. I waited a year to buy the 2020 hoping they would fix the next production but guess not...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I too, see effects on the hood with crosswinds and simple 80mph driving. twice, I've pulled over thinking it was loose and needed to be slammed (both times, fully latched)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too, see effects on the hood with crosswinds and simple 80mph driving. twice, I've pulled over thinking it was loose and needed to be slammed (both times, fully latched)
Take it to the service department at your dealer and tell them you are bothered by the vibration in windy conditions and ask them them to apply TSB 12-281-20. That's the Technical Service Bulletin regarding adhesive failures in the hood. They'll check (and replace, if necessary) the adhesive that connects the outer skin of the hood to the supporting structure underneath. It completely eliminated the fluttering hood on my 2019 Premium. Be prepared to leave the vehicle at the dealer overnight as it takes a while for the new adhesive to cure completely and it shouldn't be driven until then.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,214 Posts
The issue with the hood on some Ascents has a fix in the TSB that was mentioned above.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Technical Service Bulletin. It can be simply additional info for the techs, it can be repair procedures, it can be information regarding warranty repairs. In this case, it's instructions and (where applicable) warranty information on how to re-bond the two layers of the hood to prevent vibration.

Short version: there's a fix, and the TSB tells the dealers what to do to fix it:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts