Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Might replace our 07 Legacy and get the 2020 with the Ascent engine. With 700+ less lbs to move than the Ascent, the new Legacy should be more fun to drive. :grin:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Dumb the interior down to limited or base models and it looks like the Ascents minus the giant touch screen. I think the Ascent should get a minor HP/TQ bump. As it stands now it looks like the Outback will be their flagship. Napa leather and folding mirrors on the top trim!

·
Registered
978 Posts
277ftlb max on the CVT is pretty telling. I’m thinking if Subaru is doing any plugin hybrid Legacy, Outback or Ascent in this decade the current cvt isn’t built beefy enough to handle anymore torque.

Ultimately the cvt is going to be Subarus biggest issue.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
177ftlb max on the CVT is pretty telling. I’m thinking if Subaru is doing any plugin hybrid Legacy, Outback or Ascent in this decade the current cvt isn’t built beefy enough to handle anymore torque.

277? Same as Ascent? or 176 in the NA? Where you get the thought it's at the limit?

·
Registered
646 Posts
177ftlb max on the CVT is pretty telling. I’m thinking if Subaru is doing any plugin hybrid Legacy, Outback or Ascent in this decade the current cvt isn’t built beefy enough to handle anymore torque.

Your 1 number off my friend

·
Registered
160 Posts
Keep some knobs and buttons!

I personally think Subaru is making a mistake on the large screen. Not the screen itself, but the fact that they are incorporating in things that are better (at least in my opinion and experience) as buttons. I currently drive a 2015 Ford Flex with the dash in the attached photo. Everything is touch, no buttons. Back in 2014-2015 or so, Ford (in some models), Cadillac and Lincoln went to a lot of touch captive controls. Looks nice, just as the large screen that Subaru is moving toward does. However, it is very difficult to make temp, fan speed, seat heat/cooling, settings. These are all done through a "screen" of some sort. You have to take your eyes off the road, because you cannot find buttons or dials like you could in older models.

My wife has had a 2014 and 2017 OB. I always liked them because they have stuck with knobs, dials and buttons. Heated seats with buttons come back on when started, my stupid control system in my Flex does not reset the heated seats. The factory starter in my Flex (crappy distance) will turn on the heated seats and wheel if the temp is below a set point. To improve my distance, I had a different starter installed and all it does is starts, it cannot tie into the CANBus to active other settings...kind of pointless other than I can start it with my phone...this is getting moved to our daughters Forester. Hopefully Subaru will have something in the programming to keep the settings where there were when the car is shut off and restarted.

I know I am beating it up without actually seeing it, but I do believe that there is some safety added by being able to change things by feel and not having to look at a screen. My 2 cents.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I am beating it up without actually seeing it, but I do believe that there is some safety added by being able to change things by feel and not having to look at a screen. My 2 cents.
I may have responded in another thread and I agree with you. Buttons are nice because you can do them by memory. Maybe we'll be able to do some voice commands or something but we'll see. I would rather have buttons but I'm holding all my opinions till I try it.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
978 Posts
277? Same as Ascent? or 176 in the NA? Where you get the thought it's at the limit?
Typo fixed.

277 out of these modern DIT 2L engines is nothing. Given all of the CVTs Subaru has are all being ecu held at 277 suggests that Subaru has an issue getting durability from anything more. As I said the cvt is Subarus weak link and seems to already be a tough restriction on what it can offer.

Any hybrid tech will boost torque so either Subaru needs a ground up new cvt or its effectively out of the hybrid business for at least another 5yrs at minimum. Not to mention at uncompetitive ICE numbers.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Far more than meets the eye!!!

I think a few people here and elsewhere are not noting what they've really done with the console.

They're expecting people will be using "automatic" and simply setting temperature, so, there's physical temp buttons, physical front and rear/all-weather buttons. The expected and important radio buttons are physical still as well.

As for the rest of the screen real estate, though the pic doesn't show it well, you're looking at the equivalent of TWO displays. The MFD that we have above our head units is integrated INTO the main display real estate. In the image, it's showing the two things our MFD always show: temp and time, along with the multi-function information, currently set on "current media" (which, like ours, shows SiriusXM info, or USB media info, or phone media info or Android Auto/Carplay media info depending on which is running). Pressing the < or > (and I would presume swiping left or right as well, just like how the main area works) would change to other displays we're used to, such as the AWD/tilt display, MPG display, ACC display, etc.

Something else to note, if one reads the press release, you'll note that we're getting some of the technologies that have been tested in Japan in their Eyesight Touring Assist mode.

Attachments

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Typo fixed.

277 out of these modern DIT 2L engines is nothing. Given all of the CVTs Subaru has are all being ecu held at 277 suggests that Subaru has an issue getting durability from anything more. As I said the cvt is Subarus weak link and seems to already be a tough restriction on what it can offer.

Any hybrid tech will boost torque so either Subaru needs a ground up new cvt or its effectively out of the hybrid business for at least another 5yrs at minimum. Not to mention at uncompetitive ICE numbers.
I don't have all the information but I'm betting they're holding back power to not have to raise power on the STi and WRX. I mean the 0-60 time they touted in the press release puts it almost equal to a stock bugeye and exactly on par to a 2019 wrx, just a smidge over a second behind a 2004 sti and what, 1.5 behind a 2019 sti.

It may be limited, it's not a physical gearset after all, but I'd like to think the limit is artificial due to the WRX/STi.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The seats looks pretty nice, but the exterior is blah.

·
Registered
160 Posts
@Robert.Mauro much better view of the display. exactly what I want to see. buttons for fan and temp.
There are buttons for temp but not fan. I am glad they stuck with the knobs for the radio volume and tune along with the buttons for temp and for defrost. Good moves. I do feel that at the very least, the fan speed should also be a knob or button. I know that they are thinking auto temp, however in the North (MN here), auto does not speed the fan enough to get the condensation off the windows when it is cold or really humid. I often have to turn the fan speed up (yes, I have auto temp in my Flex too) but then it gets too **** hot and have to turn things back down once the windows clear.

I just hope that regarding the seat heat/cooling and wheel heat that the car restarts to the same settings as when it was turned off. Also that the remote starter will turn these on since they are no longer physical buttons.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are buttons for temp but not fan. I am glad they stuck with the knobs for the radio volume and tune along with the buttons for temp and for defrost. Good moves. I do feel that at the very least, the fan speed should also be a knob or button. I know that they are thinking auto temp, however in the North (MN here), auto does not speed the fan enough to get the condensation off the windows when it is cold or really humid. I often have to turn the fan speed up (yes, I have auto temp in my Flex too) but then it gets too **** hot and have to turn things back down once the windows clear.

I just hope that regarding the seat heat/cooling and wheel heat that the car restarts to the same settings as when it was turned off. Also that the remote starter will turn these on since they are no longer physical buttons.
Hard to tell even zooming in on the pic. I thought the temp stuff at the bottom was it's own different display and the fan arrows were buttons. So maybe not.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Typo fixed.

Why is Subaru's CVT a weak link? . People have proven the fact in can tow 5,000 lbs .If they use it in the next WRX with a CVT I guarantee if will have over 300hp and TQ to match. A hybrid Ascent is a given in its MMC cycle.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My 2013 Legacy is exhibiting concerning issues with the trans and it's very sporadic and i think it's time to offload it. Just have to decide between this and a used Genesis G90.
Practical side of me says grab the 2.5 Legacy, but life is short:)

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think a few people here and elsewhere are not noting what they've really done with the console.

They're expecting people will be using "automatic" and simply setting temperature, so, there's physical temp buttons, physical front and rear/all-weather buttons. The expected and important radio buttons are physical still as well.

As for the rest of the screen real estate, though the pic doesn't show it well, you're looking at the equivalent of TWO displays. The MFD that we have above our head units is integrated INTO the main display real estate. In the image, it's showing the two things our MFD always show: temp and time, along with the multi-function information, currently set on "current media" (which, like ours, shows SiriusXM info, or USB media info, or phone media info or Android Auto/Carplay media info depending on which is running). Pressing the < or > (and I would presume swiping left or right as well, just like how the main area works) would change to other displays we're used to, such as the AWD/tilt display, MPG display, ACC display, etc.

Something else to note, if one reads the press release, you'll note that we're getting some of the technologies that have been tested in Japan in their Eyesight Touring Assist mode.
Go to Autoblog and enlarge the pic of the center stack. I guess I like it although the buttons have a cheap look IMO. I'm surprised they made the sides of the car so slab sided with none of the current side sculpting from Impreza/Forester/Ascent. Also , perhaps the photo image has something to do with it but the Touring leather is orangish looking. It will be interesting if Outback steals sales from Ascent especially if it is bigger and has a good tow rating

·
Registered
978 Posts
I don't have all the information but I'm betting they're holding back power to not have to raise power on the STi and WRX. I mean the 0-60 time they touted in the press release puts it almost equal to a stock bugeye and exactly on par to a 2019 wrx, just a smidge over a second behind a 2004 sti and what, 1.5 behind a 2019 sti.

It may be limited, it's not a physical gearset after all, but I'd like to think the limit is artificial due to the WRX/STi.
Isnt the new STI Manual only?

The biggest investment here beyond engines is the cvt. And thats going to be a very costly pill to swallow by Subarus development department.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.