Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading about the new 2020 Legacy XT I saw it has our same 2.4l turbo with 260hp and 277 lb-ft of torque. Sounds familiar? I wonder how quickly it would propel the lighter Legacy on a 0-60 test.
Another interesting detail: it's rated for 32 mpg highway, I wonder if it will meet that target easily or it will be only under perfect conditions like the Ascent.

·
Registered
731 Posts
New Legacy is quick, but it is not a “GT”. It is not geared for a performance sedan, unfortunately.
I wish they would’ve done a full GT version. It might be in my garage!

·
Registered
197 Posts
New Legacy is quick, but it is not a “GT”. It is not geared for a performance sedan, unfortunately.
I wish they would’ve done a full GT version. It might be in my garage!
As long time Legacy owner, I can say not all Legacy GTs are performance sedans. My 1998 Legacy GT was slow, I almost purchased a 04 GT, that was also slow. My 05 GT was the only "fast" GT. I currently have a 2013 Legacy 3.6R, and I don't consider it a performance sedan. It is something between my 05 GT and my 98 GT.

I was seriously considering a Legacy Touring XT model to replace my 3.6R, but due to the transmission issues with my Ascent, I have put that thought on indefinite hold. I may reconsider in 2021...provided I don't go electric. The new Ford Mustang Mach-E is pretty tempting.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^ Yes, I’ve had 4 Legacys. And no they weren’t all performance sedans. Some of them tried to be. My ‘05 GT was the best of them.

This new one isn’t even trying. The suspension setup is super squishy, and, well, it’s a CVT, which is arguably NOT a performance trans. 3,800lbs etc.
The FA24DIT is really the ony good thing about it. Kind of a half-arsed deal, actually. Looks awful with awful looking wheels.

All depends on what you’re after. Go drive one.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Reviewers have gotten 5.7 seconds to 6.3 seconds 0-60 in the half ton lighter 2020 Outback XT.

And, yes, it's the same drivetrain, with the TR690 configured for the lighter Outback.

I have gotten 6.773s seconds in my Ascent, even with a lot of equipment weighing it down, so, the faster speeds for the Outback aren't surprising.

The review results are about what I'd been predicting in the Outback forums and groups for ages in the discussions with everyone who thought the outgoing 3.6 was a better performance option for the Outback (it's not remotely close).

·
Registered
731 Posts
It still amazes me how ignorant folks are on small displacement forced induction motors.
They see a bigger number or more cylinders and have their minds made up.
At 6,800ft, I figured this one out a very long time ago ( teenager). After dumping thousands trying to modify naturally aspirated motors up here. Turbo gas and turbo diesel are the way to go.
I know a guy that bought a 5.0 V8 F150 over the big EcoBoost F150. I had the conversation with him on how he should’ve bought the EcoBoost and at the end of it, despite facts, numerous performance reviews, stats, 0-60, 1/4mi, high altitude tests etc, he still wanted the “bigger” engine.
Just don’t get it.
That Subie 3.6R is/was an absolute turd of an engine up here. Dismal.
The FA24DIT is the best thing to happen to Subaru engines in a very long time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, unfortunately people think 6>4 therefore 6 cylinders are better than 4. May be so for other reasons, but not because of the cylinder count itself. Also 2.4 liters is more than 2.0 liters so it must be better.
And my favorite: comparing peak HP figures directly as if that meant the vehicle will be faster or slower.
Power = torque times rpm (with some unit conversion constants blah blah). A car making 300 lb-fts of torque at 3000 rpm has the exact same power as a car with 150 lb-ft of torque at 6000 rpms. Guess which one pulls better?

·
Registered
685 Posts
The FA24DIT is the best thing to happen to Subaru engines in a very long time.
If we could still get it paired with the 5EAT

:love:

... Now that would be something. I would think about buying one then. (I luv my 5-speed-slushboxes) with manual mode.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
If we could still get it paired with the 5EAT

:love:

... Now that would be something. I would think about buying one then. (I luv my 5-speed-slushboxes) with manual mode.
I am pretty sure that Jatco would explode under tow load with our torque output. ;) Literally. It's a great little gearbox, but it wasn't designed for something as beastly as 11,000 pounds at the wheel load, which is what the Ascent has when towing. Everything it was designed for had a 2.5 ton to 3.5 ton lower GCWR (5,000-7,000 pound lower GCWR is a lot).

And, the Ascent is of course also higher torque than anything it was mated to stock.

Of course, there are lotsa upgrades for it for those who did that sorta thing back in the day. Perhaps with some new innards, and keeping the TR690 cooler (or getting a Mishi), it would be able to handle the load...

·
Registered
914 Posts
I agree, unfortunately people think 6>4 therefore 6 cylinders are better than 4. May be so for other reasons, but not because of the cylinder count itself. Also 2.4 liters is more than 2.0 liters so it must be better.
And my favorite: comparing peak HP figures directly as if that meant the vehicle will be faster or slower.
Power = torque times rpm (with some unit conversion constants blah blah). A car making 300 lb-fts of torque at 3000 rpm has the exact same power as a car with 150 lb-ft of torque at 6000 rpms. Guess which one pulls better?
Yeah, it is crazy how people come to conclusions..... don't let facts get in the way of what I think!

I know of a 1.6L engine that's very powerful and makes for a blazing fast car!

"Formula One currently uses 1.6 litre four-stroke turbocharged 90 degree V6 reciprocating engines"

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am pretty sure that Jatco would explode under tow load with our torque output.
Maybe not the towing output, but there are plenty of high power/torque 5EATs out there. Just look at the Legacy Forum.

I was looking at it from a Gen3 sized Outback with a 2.4DIT scenario sized car. Something Subaru will never make. Something you would never tow with. Something I would love to have.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Maybe not the towing output, but there are plenty of high power/torque 5EATs out there. Just look at the Legacy Forum.

I was looking at it from a Gen3 sized Outback with a 2.4DIT scenario sized car. Something Subaru will never make. Something you would never tow with. Something I would love to have.
Yep, it'd probably be very fun.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Hmm, sounds like you want the Levorg STI Sport with a lift kit!

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hmm, sounds like you want the Levorg STI Sport with a lift kit!
See, not really. The Levorg comes ONLY with a CVT and the motor choices are 1.6 or 2.0

Now a Levorg with either the new 2.4DIT (with tons of torque) or the 2.5T mated to the 5EAT that I currently have. That's what I want. And, for my urban tastes these days, I have no desire for stilts. Both of my Outbacks are lowered to approximately Legacy height.

·
Registered
197 Posts
See, not really. The Levorg comes ONLY with a CVT and the motor choices are 1.6 or 2.0

Now a Levorg with either the new 2.4DIT (with tons of torque) or the 2.5T mated to the 5EAT that I currently have. That's what I want. And, for my urban tastes these days, I have no desire for stilts. Both of my Outbacks are lowered to approximately Legacy height.
Ah, I see, may I interest you in a WRX STI A-Line... Forbidden Fruit...

Speaking of forbidden fruit, the next Levorg is rumored to have a new 1.8 engine. Don't know if it will turbo charged or not, or if it will replace the 1.6 or the 2.0. Maybe both.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts